Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

Default chassis

i have a old wheely king i converted to a crawler king for my son. i would like to find a better chassis for it. does anybody have some suggestions for a better crawler type chassis?
paul j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: chassis

The WK trans is harder to mount than the Axial gearbox, which most crawler chassis are designed for. That kind of limits your options. If you're somewhat handy at fabricating some simple L brackets it can be made to work with almost any comp style chassis on the market.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

We've got a number of WK/CK based vehicles and I get the most information and ideas from SEARCHing. In particular, the Wheely King Crawler Picture Archive and here, in the general WK forum. When the WK was introduced, the axles were hot and people made a lot of creative and competitive vehicles from them. Skim this forum backwards, from page one to the present and you will find a wealth of information including how to make comp chassis compatible with the transmission and motor plates for clocking the transmission.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

i guess i need to shell out some more money for some high speed internet. then i will look at more of the build threads dial up sucks
Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul j View Post
i guess i need to shell out some more money for some high speed internet. then i will look at more of the build threads dial up sucks
No, not if you have some hand tools and a bit of patience, or even a buddy with some basic power tools.
Here is a link to some free custom chassis templates: My Uploaded Files

Just print out the one you like, and it can be cut from various materials, cutting board, aluminum, plexiglass ect.

Here is a link to some free PDF files, templates for clocked motor plate and a axle steering servo bracket: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=4a947...105BA34%21175#

these can be cut from aluminum or thin guage steel sheet

Last edited by caymin last; 01-05-2013 at 08:33 AM.
caymin last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #6

thanks ill check that out
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

also search for "wk widow" chassis. very happy with mine. *edit* the link in the last post IS for the widow, among others. ha!
rancid737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #8

what do you run for shocks?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #9

I used losi night crawler shocks i found on ebay, and springs I found at the hardware store that had a spring rate the same as losi white if i remember right. Plus, they were 45 cents a piece at the hardware store!
rancid737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

If you want to modify your wk/ck chassis it can be done. Check out my pics and posts on R2 trans in a ck. Hank
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #11

in my humble opinion, whether you're designing your own, or adapting the existing one, 3.5 to 4 inch shocks would be a good start, along with all the ingredients to make up your own links, and try looking on this site for the clocked motor templates for the WK gearbox. Alternatively, go for a different gearbox, the R2D can be had for next to nothing, and has to be the simplest gearbox to design a basic chassis for, goes well with WK axles too! ;)

Good luck, and post pics of what you want to acheive, some one may be able to help more!
heinz357 is offline   Reply With Quote