Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: HPI WK good trail rig ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HPI WK good trail rig ?

I'm looking to buy my first shafty and turn into a trail rig. Easy driving and maybe make it more scale. I was deciding between WK, cr-01 or the scx10. I'm not going to spend much if any money on it, but i will fabricate my own mods.

Is the WK durable stock or do i have to dump a bunch of cash on upgrades and how scale does it look with appropriate tires and body. The price point is really nice and i'll probably only drop the body and drive it as is.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
MSB
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: HPI WK good trail rig ?

the axial is probably a better bet. WK's are great rigs, but out of the box, I think you might be disappointed. I got my WKs a few months before the axials came out and at first was pissed because if i had waited... but over the years, i've throughly enjoyed building rig after rig with the WK axles and am glad I went that route. The only scale build with a WK chassis would be a grave digger or monster truck build, so if scale is a consideration, i'd say axial, just for that fact out of the box.

All that said, if you're willing to build some stuff, you can build a great WK for a reasonable amount. They are great platforms, just need a little tlc to get there, and its somewhat reasonable to think you'd be the only one in your group to have one.
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I love my wheely king I have had it for 5 years and have had to replace very few parts. I also have a scx10. Its cool looks and real scale but I love to tinker and that's where the wheel king shines.

It is really easy to work on and a blast to drive. It Can look pretty scale with the correct body And your right the price is awesome.

My truck has been a lot of different rigs but my favorite version is with the stock chassis.

Here is my rig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
I love my wheely king I have had it for 5 years and have had to replace very few parts. I also have a scx10. Its cool looks and real scale but I love to tinker and that's where the wheel king shines.

It is really easy to work on and a blast to drive. It Can look pretty scale with the correct body And your right the price is awesome.

My truck has been a lot of different rigs but my favorite version is with the stock chassis.

Here is my rig.

very nice rig friend! This is definitely a point in the WK favor.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks man. Its a awesome truck. If you want to learn about trucks like these and sharpen your building skills its the truck for you.

adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Dude you have a flat tire lol, box stock the wk is ok, but lower the body, shorter shocks and a better servo mounted on the axle, just thoes few mods will make a huge difference, heres mine

anthonyjlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyjlc View Post
Dude you have a flat tire lol, box stock the wk is ok, but lower the body, shorter shocks and a better servo mounted on the axle, just thoes few mods will make a huge difference, heres mine

Nice i like the accessories.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #8

Looks bad ass
kevin4whln is offline   Reply With Quote

HPI WK good trail rig ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ax 10 tcs trail kit.. any good for a scale rig? gabbyb3 Newbie General 3 06-29-2008 10:32 PM
This rig any good? Newbie here looking for a good rig zeuszuki Newbie General 5 04-24-2008 02:45 PM
Scorpion a good Trail rig also? NitroStar Newbie General 5 11-06-2007 07:07 PM