Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: The MO crawler/trail rig of doom...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #1

Default The MO crawler/trail rig of doom...

So hi there. I am new here, well, new to RC actually. Last week I acquired a rather hodge podge WK/CK conversion (at least a partial conversion). My first crawler of this scale, and I think I scored. $75 from one of my employees who wanted some micro-RC to run around the shop with. Started out as a pretty basic build, CK conversion, some so-so quality alloy parts and a sweet platform to start with. Below are the before and current pics, and there a re a ton of upgrades in route to my doorstep.

Day 1: pretty basic, ugly non-crawler tires, it had some gross fender flares and running boards, those were trimmed upon arrival (better tire clearance and no rubbing)

Day 2-5: A few trips to the hobby shop and help from my experienced crawler buddy we have the start to a decent looking and performing rig.

side wiew

front angel shot, added some LED head and tail lights for kicks

RPM Revolver 3.2 wheels with some nice Trencher 2.8 tires trimmed and fit perfectly (I'm using the Traxxas 12mm to 17 mm hub converters with zero issues)

Traxxas 2056 servo added (that stock HPI one was junk, had this one from my Stampede, waiting on my nicer servo to show up)

Axial AR-3 receiver and mated remote added for obvious reasons (once again, the HPI one did not meet my level of quality)

Integy Matrix Pro 45-turn motor (will be adding a 55-60 turn at some point)

And that was the list for last mon-fri. Saturday night we took her out for a test run. Performance was acceptable, she will graduate to the next level soon.

Playing around on a guard rail near the house

And now, ROCKS!

So all in all, I like this little rig, but can't wait until she is complete. Next week comes new servo, custom 1-off carbon chassis and custom CNC parts, 4 wheel steering (using a twin stick controller for seperate steering) and a Unimog body. I will update this post as things progress. Thanks for stopping to check her out, any advise would be great. I have 2 full size crawlers, and have found this shrunk down version to be much more affordable.
timfiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The MO crawler/trail rig of doom...

Looks good! Wheely Kings are a decent little truck to build on....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #3

Im glad those wheels i had laying around worked out on this rig. You were right though that thinner tires may help out. I'm still researching which tires and wheels we should try. Maybe we can get some ideas from others on here.
rkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Pro line 2.2 tsl's are really good... Also PitBulls...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

How much wider do those hexes and wheels make the truck?

I'm eventually going to put those wheels with similar hexes on my Grave Robber bodied WK with a set of standard sized Maxx Chevron tires from Traxxas and am just curious.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #6

I bought some hot bodies rovers in white compound. Mounted them on a set of proline 2.2 titus beadlocks and they are awesome! I had a set of proline hammers mounted on wide offset rpms and thought they were good but these are really nice
DADSanRCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rcmonster View Post
Looks good! Wheely Kings are a decent little truck to build on....
Thank You Mr. 1rcmonster, work in progress as we all know too well.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Pro line 2.2 tsl's are really good... Also PitBulls...
I agree, I love the tsl's, hopefully they work as well in the rc world as they do in real life. Just need my hobby shop connection ((hint hint)) to track me some down.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
How much wider do those hexes and wheels make the truck?

I'm eventually going to put those wheels with similar hexes on my Grave Robber bodied WK with a set of standard sized Maxx Chevron tires from Traxxas and am just curious.

You know, I never measured the stock width, let me go measure the current set up ((runs to garage)).

Outer edge from tire to tire is exactly 12 inches now. I love the stance, but find on narrow sections I get caught up under stuff easier.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADSanRCjunkie View Post
I bought some hot bodies rovers in white compound. Mounted them on a set of proline 2.2 titus beadlocks and they are awesome! I had a set of proline hammers mounted on wide offset rpms and thought they were good but these are really nice

I will have to look into that. I am finding that having 2 sets of wheel/tire combos is nice for varying terrain situations.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkerk View Post
Im glad those wheels i had laying around worked out on this rig. You were right though that thinner tires may help out. I'm still researching which tires and wheels we should try. Maybe we can get some ideas from others on here.
Mr Hobby Shop guy...
Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfiredog View Post
You know, I never measured the stock width, let me go measure the current set up ((runs to garage)).

Outer edge from tire to tire is exactly 12 inches now. I love the stance, but find on narrow sections I get caught up under stuff easier.

Thanks Tim! The truck being wider is fine since it's going to remain a monster truck.........actually, now that I've test driven it a little with the VXL system and a well used NiMH stick pack, a little extra width and heavier rolling stock will come in handy

Last edited by BJoe; 05-01-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Here's the WK I'll be doing that too, already got the Maxx tires and foams on order, just need to order the hexes, rims, and maybe the longer Savage 21 shocks

Monster KING! Grave Robber
Old 05-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Here's the WK I'll be doing that too, already got the Maxx tires and foams on order, just need to order the hexes, rims, and maybe the longer Savage 21 shocks

Monster KING! Grave Robber
Looks great! One thing...discovered today, the kingpins behind the adapters are smaller than the ones that come with the adapters from Traxxas. Also found one of my rear axles bent...

I'm thinking the Savage axles next, I think those use the larger king pins. Need to order tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfiredog View Post
Looks great! One thing...discovered today, the kingpins behind the adapters are smaller than the ones that come with the adapters from Traxxas. Also found one of my rear axles bent...

I'm thinking the Savage axles next, I think those use the larger king pins. Need to order tomorrow.
Thanks for the heads up on that, I'm looking at the red 4x4 Slash/Pede/Rally hexes from STRC for mine. I put the RCP/MIP CVD's on the Grave Robber since I intended to go bigger on the tires, voltage, and tires from the get go.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on that, I'm looking at the red 4x4 Slash/Pede/Rally hexes from STRC for mine. I put the RCP/MIP CVD's on the Grave Robber since I intended to go bigger on the tires, voltage, and tires from the get go.
Hey Joe, So after some test fitting and reading, I am thinking of trying the SX10 to CK conversion somehow for the CVD. Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Not familiar with that one, is that for the center drives?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #18

Not really sure. My issue is right now, the part the wheel mounts to is bent, still driveable but at high speed (or as high as a 50 turn will do) the wheel wobbles and honestly just looks stupid. So I was thinking of trying some more complicated modifying.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Oh, I would just beat the living hell outta it until it breaks, then look at the RCP/MIP CVD's. I had thought about trying to mod LST shafts, but just don't have the tools to do so unless I went out and bought a saw and a file set to cut the driveshafts down then file the flats into it to fit the lockers.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #20

New CVDs installed, no more wheel wobble! Now on the hunt for the Unimog body, new 2.2 wheels in route. Pitbull tires acquired.

The MO crawler/trail rig of doom... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my yota crawler/trail rig pics. sticksNstones Chit Chat 12 02-19-2007 09:23 PM
My first, CLod, Rock Crawler, Trail RIg THingy!!! tecnica2001 Tamiya Clod Buster 23 09-16-2006 09:24 AM
TC3 crawler/trail rig rockcrawler505 Newbie General 8 04-28-2006 09:05 PM
Tamiya Touareg crawler/trail rig. what motor to use? masta shake Newbie General 8 01-15-2006 04:45 AM