Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Finally! It moves!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Default Finally! It moves!

Bought this old crawler king with a burned out esc, 55t motor, reciever with cut barely functioning antennae and original hpi crawler tires that were so dry rotted they came apart from the rims before I unscrewed the beadlocks (the bead was still on the wheel). Got the whole mess for $40.

Put a Castle Sidewinder sv3 in it to run the 55t. Bought Proline Titus beadlock wheels (2.2) and mounted up some Hot Bodies Rovers. Threw in a 2s 5000 mah lipo and a traxxas reciever to run it all.

TOTALLY disappointed.

Now this is my first venture into crawling so be kind. It seemed like I needed more torque and wheel speed. That is a tall order! A 55t should have the torque, but wheel speed means I need a lower turn motor right? And I'm thinking a 3s should help also.

I have things I have already done to this little guy and a list of ideas in my head. OnceI figure out how to post pictures I will put up a few shots and an accurate list of the build so far. I will also list some of the ideas I have.
DADSanRCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Finally! It moves!

For tq you need 96\14 gearing. 96 spur and 14t pinion. For wheel speed go 3s 11.1 volts. Sure brings out the speed. I like the 96\14 gearing on 3s with a 35t motor.
Oh for pics, see this. Posting Pics For Dummies
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the help Lonely, I'll try to get a few shots up as soon as I can.

So far as I can tell everything is stock and well abused with the exception of what I have done. Like I said before it has the original HPI 55t and a Castle Sidewinder SV3 that I added for motivation. I have been using a 5000 mah 25C Onyx 2 cell hardcase lipo in the stock battery location. I moved the servo from its stock location in the back to the front axle with a CKRC front servo mount with links. It is still the stock servo so it still barely has any steering. I am going to try a Traxxas 2075 I have in another truck when I get the chance. I love the 2.2 Proline Titus beadlocks and Hot Bodies Rover tires, they add some good ground clearance and traction. I removed the stock bracket for the servo from the chassis as well as the "roll bar" over the motor. I figure anything I can remove from the chassis will only help with the COG. I plan on getting some stick on wheel weights from Pepboys and putting 2-4 on top of the front axle. Since I last posted I have emptied the rear shocks of the few drops of nastiness left in them and refilled them with losi 60wt oil. this seems to have made it a little more stable, but the oil and the large Traxxas preload clip I added have not tamed the torque twist. I want to get some threaded rod and tube to make up some 4 links and see if that helps. I'm thinking 30wt or 40wt is what I will use in the front shocks when I get around to that. I may buy another bottle of something thicker for the rear. Maybe 80wt or 90wt. I have some 20K diff fluid on my bench, maybe I will add some of that if I feel like experimenting with a mix. I'm thinking of putting the gear reduction unit in it with a 4-pole 3900kv motor I have. I figure I can use the tuning card to add lots of punch control and do a custom throttle curve to "tame" the craziness. I need to get the 96t spur, I checked today and it has the 90t spur with a 21t pinion. I tried adding a 19t pinion, but it didn't mesh enough and when I tried climbing up the steps in my backyard it started to skip teeth so I stopped and swapped it back to the 21t. I bought a Parma Xciter body and painted that up. I really like how the truck looks, I just want it to perform now. And the performance I am looking for is probably more of a rock racer/trail truck/light crawler but I'm not concerned about "scale" looks. I think this truck should be fun when I get it more sorted out.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

Old 07-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #7

Well there's some pics as promised. It's not much to look at but I like it
Old 07-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Wow, the more I think about it I like the idea of my Castle Sidewinder 3 and the 540 4-pole 3900kv brushless motor that came with my Duratrax Element system running through the HPI gear reduction unit. What does everybody think? Anyone else done something like this?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The gear reduction unit is pure gold. You'll get the crawl action you want, going to a faster motor really wakes things up.
The stock Wheely King wants things flat, maybe an Insane Stunt Bonus* or two.

*Carmageddon, I miss it. Will it even run on this PC?
killbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I like your build. I hope to get my junker up and running. I just went and tried to buy the same CKRCWK offset steering bracket that you are using, but they are sold out! Is there anywhere else to buy them. I figured the offset mount allowed for more room for a 4-link adapter. I'm afraid the two styles on feepay will get in the way of the centered 4 link.
Snarf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #11

Well, I removed the castle sidewinder for now and have a traxxas xl-5 in it place. It doesn't have a drag brake but I think I will be ok without it when I finally get the gear reduction unit. I plan on running an HPI 15t motor I have with the GRU and the xl-5. I did get rid of the crappy SF-1 HPI servo as soon as it stripped out. I don't have much cash to throw around so I replaced it with a Hitec 645mg for $29.00. It is worlds better than the SF-1!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey Snarf77 thanks, and the CKRC bracket I have was sold out when I tried to buy it as well. Just do the "notify me" option they have and they will let you know as soon as it is available. It didn't take long. Good luck with your buildup.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #12

Almost forgot!!! I took the old school Traxxas radio out also and put in a FlySky gt2b from HobbyKing for $19.00! The receiver is really small. I have two "wants" right now, the GRU and a CC BEC to give the servo a little more juice.

Finally! It moves! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting on the night moves!! Blades Arizona 18 07-17-2014 12:45 PM
stupid newbie moves? SuperMotoGuy712 Newbie General 21 06-01-2013 04:16 PM
Car moves on its own! ttown180 Electronics 3 11-02-2009 07:29 PM
Check this, Willys got moves! gmanning37 General Scale Talk 6 04-10-2009 12:30 AM
pinion moves sideways during flex RockRacer1 Newbie General 5 11-22-2006 08:38 PM