Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Walking Beam 6X6, step by step with videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Walking Beam 6X6, step by step with videos

Walking Beam Axles 6X6 Wheely King 1: CNC The Parts - YouTube
Make-KING the setup, the kit, the bunch o'parts needed to add a third axle to an HPI Wheely King. The goal is to just stick one onto an otherwise stock King and make it a 6X6.
These parts are actually still running as I type this, but I'll have pics here and follow-up videos showing how I plan to have this work.
The painful part is you need TWO complete spare Wk axles to add just one extra: the center axle requires an added pinion on the back, along qwith a drive yoke.
The not-so-painful part is: Stock drive shafts. Stock parts on the WK are legendary for their toughness. Only vanity makes aluminum parts appear on a 'King.

I got this wild hair to design a rigid 6X6 truck using HPI's excellent Wheely King as a baseline.
I made a few 6X6 full suspension trucks using all-stock Wheely King suspension parts for practice, now I'm making my first walking beam suspension up.
My ShopBot 36x48x8" CNC is making short work of cutting the 6mm thick black ABS sheet plastic. I'm using a two-flute cutter, .08" deep passes at 10,000RPM and 4 inches per second. This is a bit slow on paper, but works well as you see, the chips are free and clear.
This frame is a stub, meant to bolt onto a stock HPI Wheely King Frame, and make it into a heavy duty 6X6 truck.
Not for wheelies, not for bounces or jumps, this truck makes for max traction and weight capacity. With the axles solid to the frame, the coil over shocks will serve only to damped the axle bogey's motion fore and aft, but they will mount in stock positions. The kit adds 5.09 inches to a stock Wheely King's 9.37. Needed to complete it are two extra axles and two rear steering lock-out kits.
The battery box can stay in the stock Wheely King mounting location, or further back and rotated almost flat. I've duplicated the stock mounting holes, but the battery box will require a bit of shimmimng on each side if the back-most mount location is used. You'll see that when I go to assemble this bad boy.

More to come, and I'll show you the prototyping I did for this as well.

Last edited by killbucket; 07-20-2014 at 02:21 PM.
killbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Walking Beam 6X6, step by step with videos

Walking Beam Axles 6X6 Wheely King 2: CNC Meet The Parts - YouTube
The fresh parts, what they doo, where they are going.

Ever heard a giant truck go BANG just rolling off a curb? 6X6 WHEELED RIGID VEHICLES, HEAVY
Old 07-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Walking Beam Axles 6X6 Wheely King 3: Test Install The Parts - YouTube
Starting the assembly. I have to tear down two axles next. None of the stock rear suspension arms are re-used. The rear drive shaft will be more exposed, like a real truck.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Walking Beam Axles 6X6 Wheely King 4: Axle Mounting, Rear - YouTube
I have the back axle in place, and everything seems to be going smoothly. I have to tear down one of my crawlers to rob a few parts, to make the modded center axle. I'll need some 4-40 allthread and a handfull of 4-40 locking nuts to hold the center pumpkin (a mod my other 6X6's need), making it super-solid.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Some nice ideas in the design. Will the rear axles be able to independently "cross up" in relation to each other?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

IF the pivots are replaced with pivot balls.
This isn't designed to articulate much.

More videos:
Walking Beam Axles 6X6 Wheely King 5: Center 2 Pinion Axle - YouTube

Walking Beam Axles 6X6 Wheely King 6: Center Diff Mount - YouTube
Old 07-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Walking Beam Axles 6X6 Wheely King 7: Working parts! - YouTube
Working parts.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here's a peek at some of the CAD.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:20 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Any Engineers out there?

Did you notice the extreme pinion angles required at the back of the transfer case? I need to extend the wheelbase for this to work smoothly. It does run, but is on the verge of binding. Another half inch of setback should do the trick.

Part of my design problem is that I've retained the long travel shocks in my quest to make a stock Wheely King connect to this. Drawn around shorter shocks, many, many issues evaporate.

So, what length/brand of shocks should this have? How off-road capable should I be concerned with making it? And a 5th wheel, what about...

Meanwhile, here's me assembling something else: 8. Mr. Minigun: Wiring Install Instruction - YouTube
Old 07-25-2014, 05:37 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I used a crawler conversion as the base for my 6x6. 12" wheel base between the front and middle axles and 18" between front and rear axles.
Also 70 mm shocks, provide plenty of articulation IMO.

After seeing your designs I am going to remake the chassis to include better link geometry.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

This should give you a jumpstart: almost 10Mb of Wheely King, Clod Buster, Wild Willy2, cordless drill powered RC trucks, a 19" WB 41 Willy Body, a 1/10 th scale custom JEEP body, CAD for transfer cases, 6X6 frames, and the beginnings of my tracked vehicle ideas.

Times for this drawing:
Created: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 5:02:23:171 PM
Last updated: Saturday, July 12, 2014 at 3:01:14:002 PM
Total editing time: 33 days 02:08:08.422 (792 hours)

http://air-sharp.com/rcfile2014_7_12.dwg

Once you have the file open, zoom out. There's more than a bit of duplication, I like to build onto existing ideas.

The CAD for the walking beam parts (so far) is in there too.

Walking Beam 6X6, step by step with videos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Chains 101!!!! step by step. Picture Heavy!! foratm Tools, and Procedures 18 12-05-2012 03:02 PM
Making the green go away - step by step de-anodizing an AX10 for beginners. O.C.D. Axial AX-10 Scorpion 54 03-07-2010 10:15 PM
how to use a full size servo for dig! step by step 2500hdon37s Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 09-01-2009 05:43 PM
Easy step by step install of Scorpion tires/wheels. O.C.D. Axial AX-10 Scorpion 22 05-09-2008 04:38 PM