Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Bringing back the dead (ish) Crawler King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Bringing back the dead (ish) Crawler King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
I think i'll try the cutting board approach - $2 seems good. I'm a bit confused here though. How does the width preclude shock mounting. For instance, If I made the frame a bit wider, couldn't I just mount the shocks inboard of the frame? Not that its the best idea..I just want to understand why I have to limit the width.
it's because the shockmounts on the axles are too narrow for an axial-width frame, so in order to use shockmounts outside the frame you have to make a narrower frame.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
Ok - I have a vision of a chassis in my head that might work for me. I'll have to get the rule out to see if things will stick out the sides of the chassis though. I'm going to have to get better at making spacers with all thread as I'm sure the design will have to change regularly to figure out what will work for me. I've decided I want to make a reliable basher/crawler with relatively low COG, but larger tires. A crawler the kids can also play with, without destroying it.
Easiest way I have found to make spacers is a tubing cutter, and a precise ruler. I picked up a tubing cutter from harbor freight for $5 or so, much easier to cut the tubing straight, and accurately. (Length)
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Cool- I basically have one of these I could use - if this is what you mean:

I have a micrometer too..if i were a bit off on my cut, I could file until correct.
Snarf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Nailed it!
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank the crank View Post
Check out R2 trans in a crawler king. I've had some fun with it and it works well.
So the R2 Trans has a 5mm output and the wk shafts are 6mm. I'm not sure anyone still makes the adapter. :(

I'm gathering parts for this build - its going to be wonky, but it will be mine!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

I've seen the adapter a few times but I didn't use it. I mounted the shaft on the output anyway. It wobbles a little bit but doesn't bother anything. I just check it every once in a while . This rig has been working good for a long time now. I'll post some up to date pics of a few small changes, most notably the rock beast tires. Hank
hank the crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

She's still moving forward. Learning as I go and picking up parts and knowledge/experience. Time will tell. I think the shocks I bought will be too long but i"m not sure. It will be a real frankenstein's monster. If she goes under her own power when I'm done, it will be a good start.

Clocked motor, carbon chassis from who knows what. A couple bent links I've made so far.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

I'm concerned with interference of the motor with my upper links. Could someone have a look at this picture and let me know where they would mount them. This picture is from the bottom upwards a bit so it doesn't really show how close the motor is to the links. This isn't as easy as I'd hoped!

Maybe these illustrate my challenge a little better? Can the upper links originate from the same point as the lower links, meaning, can I squeeze the lower links towards the center and put the upper links on the same bar at the frame?

Bringing back the dead (ish) Crawler King - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TTC-ish Scale-ish Budget-ish Wroncho-ish Build Meatwad Axial SCX-10 77 01-19-2012 03:00 PM
Bringing back dead lipos The Real Dogman Electronics 6 12-02-2011 09:39 AM
Bringing a Mounty back from the Dead?? bookite03 General Scale Talk 4 10-18-2011 07:16 AM
my tlt crawler back from the dead stolle Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 02-24-2009 08:57 PM
Bringing back Nylints RedNeck Rc Chit Chat 0 10-06-2008 05:29 PM