Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Wheel problems after going brushless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #1

Default Wheel problems after going brushless

Soooo....... I bought a wheely king in february. After a month of bashing around I decided the 4 .....er 3 link suspension needed work. So I stretched it an 11.75 inch wheel base. So that was nice made it crawl better and bashing was more fun cause it wasn't constantly wheels in the air. Then in may I decided it need more power to get the wheels up again and move it on alog a little faster. Not wanting to dump a ton of money into this thing (don't laugh like my wife I'm really trying to curb my spending) I bought a turnigy track star 80 a esc, 4000 Kv motor and the tuning box from turnigy to program the esc. Aside from the cooling fan on the esc going up in smoke on day one ( I removed it all together) It has been a great setup. It generally runs between 120 to 140 degree. So I said ixnay to the fan I'll get one later. HOLY COW OMG THE DIFFERENCE. Feels like I went NITRO. Anyways.... I figured as things break from the added stress of this new motor I would upgrade them. First fix was the slipper in the tranny. I used the thin shock shim to add some pre load to the spring and that is now fixed, when the spur gear goes i'll get the steel gears. I had to re-shim the sloppy diff gears because the front one was skipping on braking, and I have the braking set at 10% which is the lowest setting. So now comes the current problem, last friday one of the rear wheels had a meltdown. The little 12 mm hex spun inside the wheel and welded itself to the chrome washer on the outside. So i ordered new aluminum hex's. Well Today I stripped another wheel. Now Short of the Aluminum bead locks is there a cheaper wheel I could run that would stand up to bashing around. I know throttle control is your friend but who can resist the wheels up action. LOL I fear the wheely bar may be the next thing to go.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]
[/IMG]
MissouriWKmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #2

Default Re: Wheel problems after going brushless

Library Slideshow by beargibson3100 | Photobucket
MissouriWKmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wheel problems after going brushless

Rpm sells some tough rims, $10 a pair last time I checked. Just keep in mind the Wk was never designed for so much power. You might be better off using your stock wheels as a fail point. Make sure the wheel nut is tight between each run and if you are running for more than 10 minutes at a time you will want to take the truck in and tighten them every so often.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Wheel problems after going brushless - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushed to brushless problems jeepnvinny Electronics 4 01-26-2014 08:24 PM
snesored brushless problems idk Electronics 2 02-06-2013 06:30 PM
1.9 wheel problems jordan541 Tires and Wheels 2 01-21-2011 07:59 AM
Wheel Problems ForumSn0w Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 04-15-2008 03:25 AM
Spektrum/Brushless Problems crawlaholic Electronics 8 04-02-2007 03:13 PM