Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Wheelie King Christmas!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #1

Default Wheelie King Christmas!

I bought a WK from a friend that had been mildly modded. It had a 20t axial motor and came with a clear, Parma Clodbuster body. The intent was to have something for my daughter's first RC car.

The 20T motor was fast enough to be fun for me, but a bit faster than i wanted for her. I picked up an Axial 55T motor and that did the trick.

The turning radius for a rig with open diffs was pretty large, so I got rid of the servo saver equipped horn that was on it and replaced it with an aluminum servo horn for a tighter with a longer lever arm to increase its throw. Works like a charm, and hopfully it is slow enough so I don't regret losing the servo saver.

Most importantly, the color. It is pink. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Hope she likes it.

jdiwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

Default Re: Wheelie King Christmas!

Very cool!
buggynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Wheely king is a great first rc truck. Was mine and I always have had one in my lineup of trucks, looked awesome

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
xjmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the kind words.

Since I posted last, a waterproof Savkx Servo made its way onto the rig, as well as the waterproof rx box.

I'm waiting on some lockers to show up so it will climb the terrain in our yard a bit better, but im curious to see if anybody has used silly putty in the diffs, and the result. I am expecting the need to shim the crown and pinion gears as necessary when all is disassembled.

Last edited by jdiwatts; 01-02-2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #5

Turns out that the extra set of axle housingsthat came with the truck included locked diffs.
I swapped them out and the short course trenchers were lacking in traction for crawling. I put some 2.8 trenchers on it (with funky offsets) and it did a much better job in the front yard terrain. The Wheely King tires and wheels went back onto it and performed well enough to leave them in place. We'll be going on a hike with this and my son's RR10 bomber this weekend. Should make the hike more interesting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

If you flip the wheels in front, switch sides , you get pretty good traction too.
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Picked up some 2.2 wheels and tires (I forget the brand/model). The fronts are weighted. Side hill stability isn't so great with the softer sidewalls, but it crawls up everything very nicely, now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Wheelie King Christmas! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disadvantages and advantages of changing my wheelie king into a crawler king? dudeka HPI Wheely King 18 01-09-2010 04:38 AM
Wheelie King P.O.S. ILgofast2 Newbie General 21 09-17-2009 04:02 PM
my wheelie king collins_12345 HPI Wheely King 7 02-27-2009 12:25 AM