Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Newbee question, but please help me understand how to make the links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

Default Newbee question, but please help me understand how to make the links

I'm considering buying the Wheely King, but want to ensure that I know how to extend the wheelbase so I make it larger (more like a 1/10 scale).

All I'm really interested in doing is extending the wheelbase, installing clod wheels/tires, and get a new body. Now, here's the issue.

I've read lots of posts from people saying that they built links, and I've read through the article posted on the HPI website about this, but it's a little confusing for a newbee. I live in rural Nebraska so good hobby shops and hardware stores are not an option.

1. I thought I read somewhere that I can buy links from other cars and use them as my suspension links. Is this true? What specific links do I buy?

2. If I can't just buy them, please walk me through the process of creating them and where can I get the raw materials?

3. Is the longer links really the main thing involved in making a longer WK?

Thanks,
ski_rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Newbee question, but please help me understand how to make the links

I used Revo aluminum pushrods on my Monster WK for all but the front uppers, those I used the E-Maxx aluminum dual servo draglinks so I could adjust caster.

BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 PM   #3

Default Re: Newbee question, but please help me understand how to make the links

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
I used Revo aluminum pushrods on my Monster WK for all but the front uppers, those I used the E-Maxx aluminum dual servo draglinks so I could adjust caster.
So, I need 4 Revo aluminum pushrods and 2 E-Maxx servo draglinks?

Because in the middle picture it looks like you have 4 red pushrods, 2 draglinks, and 2 other rods. Am I wrong?
Old 01-26-2016, 12:10 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

6 or more pushrods, depending on how you want to set it up. I'm using the standard length Revo pushrods for the lower front and upper rear arms on this build and the "P3" pushrods for the rear lowers, so that the stretch is a bit longer from the center back than it is to the center front. Those E-Maxx drag links are something I did for some additional adjustability in the front without having to spend more money on axle c's that were clocked back for more caster.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you want to make your own custom links it is really easy. Pick up some revo rod ends, 8/32 all thread , and a 1/4" sleeving material. I like stainless steel for lowers and aluminum for uppers.

Cut the all thread to length thread the rod ends on and adjust the wheel base to perfection. Measure carefully between the rod ends, cut your tubing to length, disassemble, reassemble with the tubing between the rod ends over the all thread and your first link is built repeat.

You want at least a 1/4” of threading into the rod ends otherwise they tend to get weak.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
If you want to make your own custom links it is really easy. Pick up some revo rod ends, 8/32 all thread , and a 1/4" sleeving material. I like stainless steel for lowers and aluminum for uppers.

Cut the all thread to length thread the rod ends on and adjust the wheel base to perfection. Measure carefully between the rod ends, cut your tubing to length, disassemble, reassemble with the tubing between the rod ends over the all thread and your first link is built repeat.

You want at least a 1/4” of threading into the rod ends otherwise they tend to get weak.
Ok, thanks, I think I understand the basic concept. How many links do I need to build? 4?

And, then do I need additional rods for the steering. It's hard to picture in my mind because I don't have the truck yet.

Last, after the making the links, is the only other thing I need to do is buy the longer drive shafts?

Thanks,
Old 01-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

When I was looking into stretching the wheelbase, I used the crawler king lower link/shock mounts HPI Parts Tree # 85632, and several Pre-made Solid links from RC4WD, you'll also need Set Screws, and Rod Ends.
bpare207 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbee question, but please help me understand how to make the links - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Question about Wraith for newbee Christanto_deng Axial Wraith 9 08-07-2014 09:26 PM
Stupid Newbee Question hasbeen Tamiya XC/CC01 8 01-12-2010 04:35 PM
newbee question dustin keeler Tamiya Clod Buster 3 06-16-2008 10:05 PM
Newbee Esc Question TIMZKRAWLER Electronics 6 06-15-2007 11:58 AM
help!...TLT newbee question lanzky1008 Newbie General 9 04-04-2007 08:49 PM