Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Help with steering!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #1

Default Help with steering!?

1957 Chevrolet Task Force Wheely King - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

So I'm a newbie to rock crawling rc stuff. I've been building rock crawler in 1:1 for many years now so concepts are somewhat relatable. I recently picked up my first rc crawler and went with a crawler king. Really like the truck and how everything works but I'm wanting to fab up some rear steer setup for it. I haven't seen anyone do it, not sure if there is a reason for it or not. Seems to me like it would be a nice addition to the rig. I saw a thread on here where the guy was using a billet bell crank on the front for the steering (#HWK702 - Extended 4 Link Crawler Kit) this is the part number he sighted for the piece, I can't seem to find it anywhere. I not only need the bell crank but the mounting for it. The part he was using converts the 3 link to a 4 link and part of the 4 link bracket is the bell crank mount. I've looked everywhere and have yet to see anyone sell this bracket. I can always run the plastic one but would much rather have a billet one instead since I plan on running all billet parts and that would be the weak link in the setup. The write up for this rig is on this site with parts and part numbers listed but it's a really old posting. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure if the pic showed up but the link to his post is at the top of the page.
thebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Help with steering!?

I'm running the Hot Racing axle mount for the servos on my Monster Truck Wheely King's 4 wheel steer with what would seem like small and underpowered Savox 1256MG servos on both ends using Kimbrough HD Gas Servo Savers (the black ones), Traxxas Red Aluminum Stampede Tierods and Revo Red Tubez tierods with Jato Rod Ends for the tierods and drag links. Right now the steering is fully independant with the rear axle on it's own axle, although I am considering putting them both on a single y harness or switching back to a Traxxas radio with the dual steering servo ports and have countersteer only..........I've been having issues with remembering which way the rear axle steers with the rocker switch on the back of my DX3e radio

Here's a couple pics of it as of the other day as well as a video of it in action......shot with me holding my GS5 in one hand and trying to steer the truck on both ends with my left hand.........let's just say that was easier said than done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IIOpBivYAk
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Update:
Finally found the part through integy. When I get it and get it all installed I will post a tutorial with part numbers and how I did. My plans are to use the stock servo for the rear since I already upgraded the main servo, not to mention that the rear won't be seeing nearly as much action as the front is going to. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

Bjoe:
really nice work there!
I am trying to stay away from the servo on axle look (scaler). I own a fabrication shop where we build cars and trucks so as many setups as I have seen and built, well, let's just say where there is a will there is a way. I have everything worked out in my head, just need to put it together and see how well it works. I had initially thought to just run a double sided servo arm but with that I don't get the manuerverability that I wanted (crabwalk).
Old 03-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Ok, I do have those Integy parts to back on my Crawler WK when I finally get around to revising it. They worked well before when it was on 2.2's, should be good with the 1.9 Swamper XL's now on it.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

you'll have a hard time making the stock system work well, it just doesn't handle the forces of a high torque servo without flexing at all the link ends, bellcrank mounts and chassis.

you could always try a master/slave hydraulic setup by using two of these:
Hydraulic cylinder 15 mm. - Magom HRC
one on the chassis, connected to the servo, and the other cylinder mounted on the axle. connect the two cylinders with hydro lines and you have a push-pull hydro setup.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #7

Mayka:
so what you are saying if I gather this right is to essentially setup one up either extended or not and the other the opposite of that? So when one is extended it basically pulls fluid from the other one compressing/turning the other shaft? That sound right? I'm use to hydraulic have valves and a pump to push/pull. This sounds like you are thinking of more of an exchange setup? I like where this is going, but I'm no hydraulic mechanic so I'm not sure exactly how well it would perform. I've setup hydraulic assist steering on 1:1 rigs and it requires a special steering box that is essentially the exchanging/valve unit.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:28 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuilder View Post
Mayka:
so what you are saying if I gather this right is to essentially setup one up either extended or not and the other the opposite of that? So when one is extended it basically pulls fluid from the other one compressing/turning the other shaft? That sound right? I'm use to hydraulic have valves and a pump to push/pull. This sounds like you are thinking of more of an exchange setup? I like where this is going, but I'm no hydraulic mechanic so I'm not sure exactly how well it would perform. I've setup hydraulic assist steering on 1:1 rigs and it requires a special steering box that is essentially the exchanging/valve unit.
yep, since fluids don't compress, it would essentially give you a "push-pull" setup based on the strength of the servo.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote

Help with steering!? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering/Alignment Problem After Install RPM Steering Knuckles? Barzan724 Newbie General 2 01-21-2016 06:32 PM
Idea for scaler steering... Need ideas for building a steering box. JavelinSST390 General Scale Talk 25 05-14-2015 02:32 PM
inside tyre touches steering knuckle / steering linkage murky123 Axial SCX-10 4 10-06-2010 04:46 PM
Hot Racing Steering knuckles - more steering than the original plastic ones? Tomy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-16-2008 11:26 AM