Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: level 3 motor drop kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

Default level 3 motor drop kit

So I did some research on this mount and all I saw was that you needed to 4 link the rear end. No big deal. Bought all the necessary parts and the motor drop kit which came with a 4 link bracket. Well, I got all my parts in and went to install and there is a number of issues that I see right out of the gate.

1. motor now interferes with stock frame. (trimmed out the issue, now it fits)
2. upper 4 link doesn't clear the motor at all in any way shape or form. (purchased bent rod ends in anticipation for this)
3. even if you could get the rod ends on the uppers to bolt in the upper links will hit the motor no matter what you do during articulation.
4. stock steering setup will never work with the bell crank that attaches to the side of the transmission.

So this is where I'm at, anybody else run this setup? I searched the forums for pics or advice on the install and very little comes up. I'm installing this on a 2.2 crawler king btw.
thebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: level 3 motor drop kit

4 link is a little tricky with the level3 motor mount, and you need the axle mounted servo kit for steering. If you get creative, this is the best servo/link mount for the WK IMO. WK Upper Link/Servo Mounts - Billet Works Designs

It actually says in the ebay ad that it's not for the stock truck. On the level3rc website, it used to say that it didn't fit the stock chassis, and you needed the transmission mounts to attach it to a ladder chassis: HPI Wheely King Transmission Mounts for RC Rock Crawler | eBay

I like the motor mount kit, but I've bent their servo mount, due to the soft aluminum.

I use a couple of the motor mount kits on my WK's, but I built my own chassis to mount them to.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #3

Default Re: level 3 motor drop kit

thanks for the information. I was trying to keep servo chassis mounted which is not possible without constructing a whole new chassis/steering setup. Integy sells another universal kit that gets the motor super low and gives you a bottom plate for links, still have to fab up a steering setup to keep servo chassis mounted. Right now I think I'm going to go back to my stock motor setup and see how the four link works with that setup (already bought the link parts and brackets). I don't really see it outperforming the 3 link factory setup though, but since I have all the parts I guess I'm going to do it anyways. Next step will be to build new frame plates/rails that will incorporate the Level 3 kit. I know it can be done but just a lot of work. Do you have any pics of your setup so I can check out how you did it? At the end of the day I'm trying to stay away from the servo on axle look.
thebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

level 3 motor drop kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
level 3 droop kit with new shocks dark_glide Newbie General 3 11-02-2013 12:55 PM
Level 3 cms kit talmond Axial SCX-10 2 04-09-2013 01:18 PM
Level-3 R/C Shock Drop Kit..! Opinions..? Big Tex Axial Wraith 13 08-03-2012 09:26 AM
level 3 rc lift kit arp1500 Axial SCX-10 4 04-15-2012 06:34 AM