RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   HPI Wheely King (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/)
-   -   Dad's Tuber (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/56702-dads-tuber.html)

JasonInAugusta 01-15-2007 10:50 AM

Dad's Tuber

Dad bought a Scorpion frame from Perry at the Augusta comp this weekend.

Here's a link to the frame: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...873#post503873

The frame was designed to be used with Clod axles but we decided to go with Wheely King axles instead. (That's right, Dad bought two WKs to build this rig :lol: )

We're using a 55 turn Axiom, Wheely King transmission, Revo driveshafts, WK axles, RPM Revolvers and Imex All-Ts. Should be a 14" wheelbase.

emaxxjeremy locked the diffs and helped hog out the slots for the driveshafts to pass through the cab.

We just welded/brazed the blind nuts into the 1/4" brake line. Instead of keeping the flange like I did on Ralph we changed the way the links look on his...they're cleaner looking than mine. "thumbsup"

Will get some pics up in a few...

Trikster 01-15-2007 11:41 AM

Cool! I saw that chassis when it was first posted for sale and wanted it sooo badly. This should be a cool build!

rocpede 01-15-2007 11:48 AM

i wish i stayed alittle longer on sunday to see it closer to being done. and can't wait to see some more of it in person next time.

rich

JasonInAugusta 01-15-2007 12:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some shots...

Driver seat, Wheely King tranny, and the stock WK ESC. The battery is an 8.4V 1000mAh pack.

Links are 1/4 brake tubing that's been drilled out with a 7/32" bit. 8-32 blind nuts were then MIG welded then brazed into the tube.

slobin3d 01-15-2007 12:17 PM

JIA is the WK youre new favorite rig?? I've got one, just waiting on the parts to show up for the front axle. (cant afford 2). Man thats a nice chassis.

emaxxjeremy 01-15-2007 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
emaxxjeremy locked the diffs and helped hog out the slots for the driveshafts to pass through the cab.

hog out the holes? what do you expect with sub-standard tools. :flipoff:
lol

emaxxjeremy 01-15-2007 01:10 PM

oh and thats a sweet motor plate you have for that :mrgreen:

JasonInAugusta 01-15-2007 06:57 PM

We've been messing with this one off and on today.

Dad and I plan on crawling tomorrow. :mrgreen:

hlpressley 01-15-2007 07:04 PM

That is cool Jason. It must be really nice to be able to share your passion with your father. "thumbsup"

ScGRaceR 01-15-2007 07:41 PM

wish my dad would crawl with me :-( :-(

oh well....nice rig :D enjoy!

hlpressley 01-15-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScGRaceR
wish my dad would crawl with me :-( :-(

oh well....nice rig :D enjoy!

Hey brother I feel your pain however just feel fortunate that your dad is still here with you. Unfortunately, all of us aren't that lucky. Treat every moment with your family as if it were your last because it just might be. "thumbsup"

Unholy 01-15-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emaxxjeremy
hog out the holes? what do you expect with sub-standard tools. :flipoff:
lol

Did you just call JiA and his dad "Sub-standard Tools"!??!?!? :shock:

I am shocked! Shocked I tells ya'!!!!

:-P

Xtant3150c 01-15-2007 10:33 PM

Nice Score on Dad's part"thumbsup"

Looks like a Great Rig :!:

And interested to hear how the WK stuff works.

Trikster 01-15-2007 11:30 PM

How well do those brake line links hold up (unless this is a first time for you, then I would have to wait)? Do you think the blind nut is a necessary bit?

JasonInAugusta 01-16-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trikster
How well do those brake line links hold up (unless this is a first time for you, then I would have to wait)? Do you think the blind nut is a necessary bit?

We welded 16 ga steel to the tops of the links (same thing I did on Ralph). These links will be the most durable parts on the truck. :lol:

The blind nuts are what the threaded rod screws into. Completely necessary.

Trikster 01-16-2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
We welded 16 ga steel to the tops of the links (same thing I did on Ralph). These links will be the most durable parts on the truck. :lol:

The blind nuts are what the threaded rod screws into. Completely necessary.

Very cool... I wasn't sure if the blind-nuts were necessary as you tapped the brake line. Thanks for clearing it up!

fate 01-16-2007 12:39 PM

You keep postin, I'll keep droolin."thumbsup"

JasonInAugusta 01-17-2007 02:11 PM

Rear suspension is done, shocks are installed, and wheels/tires have been chosen. Dad's using my old RPM Revolvers with All-Ts.

He picked up an OFNA antenna mount for the truck so now he has an aerial whip off the back right corner.

Tonight we'll build the front upper 3-link and install electronics.

STANG KILLA SS 01-17-2007 02:57 PM

ive done ALOT of tube work with 1/4" brake line. its VERY soft. i think your gonna bend them to $hit first time out.

edit. just read post #15

how old are you?

JasonInAugusta 01-17-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
ive done ALOT of tube work with 1/4" brake line. its VERY soft. i think your gonna bend them to $hit first time out.

edit. just read post #15

how old are you?