Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Should I buy a wheely king?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Default Should I buy a wheely king?

I want a smaller scale monster truck with a solid axle. At first I was thinking of converting my ascender but it's not working out. So now I'm looking at the wheely king. Has anyone ever bulletproofed their wheely king? I'm interested in upgrading the speed, not for driving speed, but for more takeoff power, you know, kind of like how rear monster trucks go 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, I want something similar. I always want to be able to do some insane donuts, like real monster trucks. And finally, I think I might want 4 wheel steering. I probably will go with the cheap/less technical route to accomplish that and just get a reversing y-harness or something.

So, what are yall's recommendations?
jmw_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Should I buy a wheely king?

Related comment is that I have a Wheely King and am wondering if I should sell it or get it going again. Are these still a desired vehicle to have around?

Posting in JMW_MAN's thread because answers to his question would also help me decide what I want to do.

As for a response:
This was the first "real"ish RC car I ever had. Wife's work gave them out as Christmas gifts years ago. I thought it was a blast and broke it out now and then for fun. Then I just lost interest until I learned about the Crawler side of RC. For what it is, it was fun. I just don't know how it compared to all the new monster trucks that have been released lately by Traxxas, Axial and others.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:14 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I also got my wheelie king as one of my first hobby grade vehicles and, since then, many vehicles have come and gone, but there is something about that WK that makes me never want to get rid of it

It's a blast to drive and is quite versatile, with several directions to go with for upgrades and such

As a matter of fact, I'm currently working on my latest build right now and it's been as much fun as all of the builds before it

I love mine and so do my two boys and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it

Sent from my Apple iPhone 7…which, as you know, clearly defines me as being superior to you in every way
mudholestomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Should I buy a wheely king?

The wheely king was my first hobby grade rc and I love it. I still have my original axles and chassis that have been in at least 4 other rigs I have built. As far as being a bulletproof monster I believe it is possible. Most people for monster truck racing stretch the wheelbase to make it more durable. The rig and pinion can accept axial gears as well as savage diff gears. The trans can be replace with rc4wd steel gears or if your crafty you can make your own with some mod3 pinions. Check out rcmt.net they are big fans of the wheely king over there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by adamargue; 06-08-2017 at 06:25 AM.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #5

I've long wanted one, but I don't know why I never pull the trigger.

Now I want one to build this chassis.

CKP Mini Pre-Order - CK Designs
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I got a wheely king very cheap
Converted it with a HPI crawler conversion, slapped a Savage body, some better 2.2 tires and a 20kg servo on it.
First runs were pretty good, but the steering was crap, switched everything over to GPM aluminium parts and had a lot of fun on the trails with it since then.
Only thing I would like is more steering, still looking into how to get that
Yonzariq is offline   Reply With Quote

Should I buy a wheely king? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade wheely king or buy new Axial SCX10?? e32lover General Crawlers 3 09-10-2012 11:33 AM
where can i buy the cheapest wheely king ax10rtrmaster HPI Wheely King 3 01-21-2011 09:12 PM