Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Brushless Wheelie King, Help Needes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #1

Default Brushless Wheelie King, Help Needes

Hello fellow rccrawler members, I apologize if im posting in the wrong forum. I have a HPI Wheelie King with a Traxxas Velineon vxl-3s brushless system in it. Ive also changed out the stock plastic gears for hardened steel ones, and replaced the axles with integy metal hop up ones that were recommended for it. I can have either the front or rear drive shaft attached to a axle. But after I attached both axles, there was a clicking sound coming from the rear end when applying the throttle. After taking apart the rear axle, i couldnt see any damage to the diff gears or the axle shafts. Any suggestions on what the clicking sound could be or on how i could fix it so i can run 4wd instead of 2wd?

Last edited by Nastybogging; 09-20-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Nastybogging is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

Default Re: Brushless Wheelie King, Help Needes

Sounds like the gears are slipping. Shimming might help so the gears don't "spread" apart under acceleration. The shims help keep a good mesh between the gears.

That's generic advice as I have no experience with the WK.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There is a clicker slipper inside the transmission. You'll hear it skipping for sure every now and again under brushless power. Won't hurt anything, but will eventually wear down and seriously slip after a while. There used to be a few transmission gear sets out there that eliminate that slipper. Not sure if they are still available or not, might have to do some digging. RC4WD and HR both used to make them.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
There is a clicker slipper inside the transmission. You'll hear it skipping for sure every now and again under brushless power. Won't hurt anything, but will eventually wear down and seriously slip after a while. There used to be a few transmission gear sets out there that eliminate that slipper. Not sure if they are still available or not, might have to do some digging. RC4WD and HR both used to make them.
The transmission gear set i have, eliminated the slipper. Its an RC4WD set within an integy tranmission case.
Nastybogging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sounds like the gears are slipping. Shimming might help so the gears don't "spread" apart under acceleration. The shims help keep a good mesh between the gears.

That's generic advice as I have no experience with the WK.
Solid advice, I had a similar issue With a 6x6 build using wk axles. Turned out the center housing was pulling apart under severe loads, allowing the pinion to slip on the ring gear, thus causing a clicking under load. My solution was to run 1.25" long 4\40 bolts through the housing and throw a nut on the end.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastybogging View Post
The transmission gear set i have, eliminated the slipper. Its an RC4WD set within an integy tranmission case.
Whoops! I totally misread your first post - my apologies!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushless Wheelie King, Help Needes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disadvantages and advantages of changing my wheelie king into a crawler king? dudeka HPI Wheely King 18 01-09-2010 04:38 AM
Wheelie King P.O.S. ILgofast2 Newbie General 21 09-17-2009 04:02 PM
my wheelie king collins_12345 HPI Wheely King 7 02-27-2009 12:25 AM
1:1 Wheelie King Galladon Chit Chat 5 01-23-2007 05:41 PM