Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Noob w/ WK questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #1

Default Noob w/ WK questions

Hey everyone,

New to the forum, obviously. I got my son a Wheely King back in May and it's proved itself to be a solid little basher. That being said, I do want to make some upgrades to remedy an issue and get more speed out of it.

First, the driveshafts. My son seems to get the front driveshaft to pop off every other run, and it's a PITA to get back on. I see that Integy sells them, but I'm not sure if they're a direct replacement for the WK (listing says CK).

With that, what's the difference between a Wheely King/Crawler King? I'm still not quite sure.

Is it possible to upgrade the motor to a 550 size? I ask because I plan to get a Velineon system in my Slash and I could use the ESC and Titan motor in the WK. I see I'd have to trim the battery box, but would that be the only issue?

Thanks in advance guys, I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions in the future..

-Dan
WetpantsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

The Crawler King has a longer wheelbase as well as crawling oriented tires, a larger 1/10 scale body, and a gear reduction. On my Wheely King I used T-Maxx/Revo center driveshafts like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-491...wAAMXQgJRRAI5Q but I am running the Crawler King conversion kit which includes all the links and new metal hexes so that I could extend the wheelbase. The 550 motor will fit without modding the battery box. I have a 3660 brushless motor in mine and there is still clearance to the battery box.

I am also running 25mm wideners

Ignore the tires. Here is a pic of the 550 size brushless motor installed

I would not run the center shafts that come with the Crawler King kit. Mine kept popping much like you say yours are now. The T-Maxx/Revo shafts are captured with pins and e-clips.

Last edited by THX_138; 12-13-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Shadowfocus603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #3

Default Re: Noob w/ WK questions

Might want to put metal gears in the granny. The slipper clutch mod is pretty cool too. Got some more $$$ you can upgrade the axles and gears in the front and back.
buggynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know why the site wouldn't let me post😕

I think the metal gears are a must. I upgraded to a 15T Firebolt motor and I can hear the slipper pop every now and then.

I want to do the crawler conversion just for the longer wheelbase and better driveshaft but they are expensive and hard to find.

Is there a good way to modify the battery box for a longer pack? I plan to give my son my old 7-cell nimh and it sticks out just a bit too much.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

BTW Shadowfocus603, love your rig.

I have so many things I want to do to this thing, but time and money are both lacking.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #6

That slipper pop you think you are hearing may be your ring and pinions grenading. Mine did with 15t Firebolt power on 3s. You can see how rounded off the teeth are.

For my 7 cell nimh batteries, as well as my 3s lipos, I did this. I cut up a couple battery straps, removed the battery door, and super glued them in.

I used mod1 pinions for the top two gears in the transmission and added a Traxxas Stampede slipper clutch and it has held up well to 3s brushless bashing. Feel free to message me for any help.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Lots of great little mods can make that a very bulletproof truck. If you ever decide to upgrade the axles, consider the Losi LST axle mod.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Have a link to the axial mod?

I mean the losi axle mod

Last edited by THX_138; 12-13-2018 at 09:23 AM.
chbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

Running through the bearings per axle, I am guessing it does not include the transmission bearings. To do the whole truck properly you have 8 bearings per axle and 6 more in the transmission. That's 22 bearings. Then, if you have stock steering bits add another couple so an honest full kit would have 24+ bearings.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfocus603 View Post
Running through the bearings per axle, I am guessing it does not include the transmission bearings. To do the whole truck properly you have 8 bearings per axle and 6 more in the transmission. That's 22 bearings. Then, if you have stock steering bits add another couple so an honest full kit would have 24+ bearings.
The kit should be arriving today so I'll rip the truck apart and check. I just did my Slash yesterday and ended up with extra bearings so I'm not sure where they are getting these numbers.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #11

OK, well I found out why the numbers were off. Clearly the WK kit from Fast Eddy is for the 2wd version. Wish they had specified. Does not include transmission bearings either, but I'm not that worried about those.

Tags
driveshaft, motor, noob, questions, wheely king

Noob w/ WK questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob questions 012abc Newbie General 2 02-14-2017 11:28 PM
noob with questions elitecontrol Axial SCX-10 4 02-28-2012 05:11 PM
Noob questions 1700OW 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 10-13-2011 07:02 PM
2 or 3 noob questions Highboost73 General Scale Talk 3 11-09-2010 01:31 PM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM