Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Free WK servo mount templates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Free WK servo mount templates

I was wondering if any of the vendors have a axle mounted servo mount in the works?? I have been playing around with a few ideas and angle/boxed Al but haven't found anything I love. Let's see some ideas, and hopefully some support from the vendors...after all these are going to be THE axles pretty soon in the 2.2. I just put hardened gears in mine now all we need is CVD's and mounts;);)
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
06 Super National Champ

Check out the servo mount Jake made for King Bling.

King Bling rebuild has started.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Noticed that in the video and am planning to make something like it for the Tuber WK I have in the works. Looks solid and positioned well. Simple and functional. Also out of the way placement. I like it.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Im a fan of Ryan62583's mount. It looks like it would be simple to make something similar.

pbfrk4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I am actually working on a aluminum and a carbon fiber version so stay tuned to the vendors section.It shouldnt be long.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:23 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

when you get them done i will definatly have to get one!
pbfrk4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Ok...now that we have our own page....lets see those parts vendors!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #8

Heres the one I made. It's similar to the one Jake built but the servo isn't angled. With the stock rims/tires it was rubbing at full lock but it clears the Moabs and narrowed stock rims. I'm still waiting on my Axials to arrive too so I'm hoping it'll clear them. I've got a better template made up but I'm still waiting for the material to build it. I like Ryans too but my battery placement interferes with the servo being dead center like that. I can't wait to see what the vendors come up with for this truck!! Hopefully we can see a chassis kit coming soon as well as the servo mounts!!

Rex4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
20K Club

*EDIT* - Check the Page 7 for the most current thread, it can be downloaded from JIA's personal website now. Also read the thread to see what input and feedback was given, the mount transformed alot throughout the process. I have seen them, or custom versions derived from them on a lot of the builds on here. Thanks again for all the interest guys! And an even bigger thanks to NickRummy for doing the initial modeling of the axles before I had ever seen a WK in person!!!!

end product:

link to download:
http://www.projecttwin.com/files/WKtemplates/

Here a bunch of the finished products from later on in the thread:

Back to the original thread!!!!

Wheely King Servo Mount

I made this up in Solidworks today at work.
The Wheely King Axles were modeled by NickRummy.
There is a bunch more stuff in the tools and procedures forum.

This is very similar to the one on the King Bling. I think it is a pretty good design, it atleast keeps the servo lower.
The Wheely King Axles were modeled by NickRummy.

This is a fairly simple barcket, most of you can fab this with a hacksaw and a dremel.

Here is a 1:1 template so you can just cut out the template trace it onto your aluminum or whatever and mount it up:

PDF Format
*Removed* Updated link on page 7
There is a limit of 5 downloads per 24 hours on xdrive unless you have your own account. So I can email you the pdf if it does not work for you. Or you can try the next day.

This is designed to have your shock mounts rotated, as you can see in the pic. There may be a little bit of trimming to part that the screw threads into on the shock mount (less then an 1/8th inch I believe).
If anyone does use it be sure to let me know if there is any clearance issues and I will Update it.

Hope it helps atleast one person.

This is not to be used for anyone to profit from!!!! Think of it as shareware not freeware (I think that is the right analogy).

Josh Thiede

P.S.
I did the stress modeling on it, and with a towerpro (chicken butt) it really should not deflect much at all if you use the aluminum plate that you get at the LHS in the little plastic bag. I don't have the bag around right now so I can't recall the gauge. I am sure someone else can specify it.

Last edited by Harley; 05-11-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #10

Wow thanks for the template!! Have you tried this design out yourself? It's pretty similar to the one I made and I was wondering if you had any clearance issues with the tires? I'm going to give your template a try. Hopefully tomorrow and I'll be sure to get back to you about it.
Rex4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #11
20K Club

I do not own a WK, but I trust these models, Nicks models are usually spot on. I have never really found a contridiction.

I have a set of masher 2ks on hpi split 5 spokes, or geos on narrowed pede wheels, or moabs that I can put whatever.

If someone wants to see them I can post a pic.

Josh
Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
06 Super National Champ

Harley,

One thing missing (or overlooked) on that servo mount is the fact that the center line of the knuckles and the front side of the axle housing aren't parallel to one another.

Anyone that uses that template should plan on putting a bend in the mount to accommodate the difference between the knuckles and axle housing.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
20K Club

Hey thanks JIA.

I will plan on fixing that tomorrow morning and reposting it. I will show the bend lines and give side views so that there is no guessing. That bend should actually help any flex in the piece too.

I have no idea if anyone will even use this. But maybe it will help someone.

I never did put a drag link in the model to test that. I shouldn't have done it half assed, my bad. I will make sure to post the pics.

Josh
Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #14
06 Super National Champ

Remember, you don't have to match the angle of the aluminum and the knuckles, but a happy medium should suffice. Folks will no doubt run various caster angles...due in part to pinion angles.

Also be sure to keep tabs on the rear portion of the servo case in relation to the axle housing and link mounts...might need to raise the servo a hair.

If you redesign the mount with those two things factored in I think it'll come in handy to a good number of folks.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Just a thought. Since you really don't need those mounting bars on the front of the axle clamp, cut them off getting them out of the way. Then widen the lower part of that mount to reach the screw that holds the C housing on the end of axle. Now you have 3 screws holding the mount. You could do the same on the other side if you made 2 seperate mounts and that would give you a place to mount batteries on the axle. In other words 2 mounts not connected in the middle, each using 2 screws at axle pumpkin and the screw that holds the C's on the end of the axle. The battery mount would be bent to 90%. Just a thought
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #16
20K Club

JIA

I don't really know why but last night I was having a hard time understanding your last post, but when I read it this morning it made all the sense in the world. I am going to fix it and see how it works. I was using a generic bluebird servo housing for clearance checks.

JIA Dad
I am pretty sure I get what you mean too, but not 100%.
As I understand:
Cut the original shock mount tabs off
Extend servo plate
screw it to the _________ <thats what I don't know for sure.

Just need a little clarification.
I definetly think it would help with some ridgidity if there was a mount over there.
I don't have my laptop open yet so maybe I will see what you mean when I do.

Josh
Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #17
RCC Addict

He was talking about mounting it to the screw on the clamp style link mount. I will be trying this soon with your template so will give you some feedback. the only problems I see with where the servo is off to the side is clearance for tires(probably not a problem) and it makes it harder to mount the battery over the servo if it is off to the side like that. One of my ideas was to mount the servo standing up useing a box peice of al, using the four screws on right or left side of the diff that face each other the distance btw the mounting surfaces of those are exactly 1" front to back on the axle...just an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706
JIA Dad
I am pretty sure I get what you mean too, but not 100%.
As I understand:
Cut the original shock mount tabs off
Extend servo plate
screw it to the _________ <thats what I don't know for sure.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #18
20K Club

Ok Round 2:

I put a 15* bend in the top portion, this very closely matches the angle of the axle c's
I did have to raise the servo 0.2" but with adding the bend it will still keep the COG down
I added another support that will attach off of the screw that holds the c to the axle case, per JIA DAD.
I did not have to suggest the trimming of the shock/link mount piece except where shown in the pic.
The axle c piece will need a little bit of trimming also, but this should not cause a weak spot, you will also not have to replace the stock screw.

Of course things always work out slightly different in the real world but this may be a decent bracket for alot of people.

I will post a new template as soon as I get some feedback on this. If no other changes I will post it up ASAP.

Josh Thiede
Old 03-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #19
20K Club

repost once again.
Here are some more pics for reference. Sorry I was too lazy to crop them and all that jazz.

I may also be working on a BTA plate, like the one camel_rcs did on his rig. NickRummy and I are actually both working on versions.

Now the servo should match the angle - Thanks JIA for the tip.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Don't forget the original.
Attached Images

Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote