Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > HPI Wheely King
Loading

Notices

Thread: $100 to turn the Wheelie King 4WD

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 09:13 AM   #21
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3
Is this the same thing combined?? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXJYM2&P=K
It is less expensive to buy together than each by itself if it's the same thing.
No those are just the heavy duty Hop-up instead of the the pot metal gears. And I did the math and it doesnt cost that much if you play it smart and get your parts from different places like Ebay, walawala, etc. For $100 you can include the hardened gears for front and back

Last edited by Gula; 02-23-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #22
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Akron
Posts: 1,785
Default

That is the hardened steel kit for the MT2. See how the pinion shaft and the pinion are one piece? I THINK this will still work but haven't checked. You won't need a seperate pinion shaft if you buy that setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3
Is this the same thing combined?? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXJYM2&P=K
It is less expensive to buy together than each by itself if it's the same thing.
If you want to go even cheaper. There is the whole Diff assembly which hasn't been released yet. I can't find the part number (it's in my manual at home) but it's around $16.00 for the ring and pinion, diff housing, spider gears and pinion shaft. All you need are bearings and axles.

Unless you are putting some SERIOUS power into these axles the stock pot metal gears are going to last. I ran the stock pot metal gears in my nitro MT with an OS .18 CV-R motor and as long as I had them shimmed right they held up.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #23
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy
Unless you are putting some SERIOUS power into these axles the stock pot metal gears are going to last. I ran the stock pot metal gears in my nitro MT with an OS .18 CV-R motor and as long as I had them shimmed right they held up.
Funny, I must have gotten a few bad batches then. My original MT the rear shattered, the second one i got wore out, I later sold it. My MT2 which i converted to SS the rear also wore out. My drift RS4 and Super nitro Rally both also wore out the rear ones. I have sofar upgraded all but the drifter to THe hardened gears and those have held up a lot better than the pot metal. Granted the hardened ones cost 4 times as much they'll last 100 times longer. I say 4 times as much since some guy on ebay used to sell them for $21 off of a MT2SS per set and included the hardened spider gears. Now he raised the price a bit. I know in a NItro that most parts spin a lot faster than a Crawler, but in both my TLT rigs the rear diffs are showing signs of wear even though i have shimmed them and use white lithium grease unsparingly.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:32 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,224
Default

82.66 will build a whole WK axle, housing and all. screw buying the truck, i'd rather just buy 2 axles worth of parts. 170 for 2 axles vs 176.99 for the truck + 57.68 to 4wd it
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 468
Default

Hmmmm $170 for Wheely King axles...

or $150 for indestructible Twin Force Axles from RCP...

Preach on brother Raptorman
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Willis
Hmmmm $170 for Wheely King axles...

or $150 for indestructible Twin Force Axles from RCP...

Preach on brother Raptorman
good point, really the force axles from rcp coming with extra short axles is a better option, although the WK axles to look more scale.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #27
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Akron
Posts: 1,785
Default

Here are a few vids of punishment on the pot metal gears. My truck is the yellow/blue MT. I agree the hardened gears are better, I've just had no reason to upgrade. I have a new extra set in my box that cost me $10 for the ring and pinion and diff case.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...nt=MTVideo.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...edinaTrack.flv
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #28
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Provo
Posts: 1,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster
82.66 will build a whole WK axle, housing and all. screw buying the truck, i'd rather just buy 2 axles worth of parts. 170 for 2 axles vs 176.99 for the truck + 57.68 to 4wd it
what about the fact that its rtr with esc and all and a super small tranny? tires wheels shocks chassis links steering? makes it seem worth it now doesnt it? comes with a battery radio and charger...now how do you feel about it?
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave
 
rbgerrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Haunted Forest
Posts: 3,585
Default

Tammies has rubber and metal shielded BOCA bearings for .99 cents each!

rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #30
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rathdrum, ID USA
Posts: 549
Default

I bought 2 WK's at the same time for $350 out the door. Converted one to 4WD to bash with and saved the rest for other projects. I now have a set of axles to build a crawler with after getting the needed parts from Tower and they are not so much. Think of all the uses for the extra parts, battery, radio gear, servo, speedo, shocks, etc. Good luck even getting the 4WD conversion set from HPI Europe... Part #87602

Bearings can be found cheaper anywhere...
http://www.teamfasteddy.com/ $0.99 each
http://www.avidrc.com/ $1.00 each

Last edited by themerc64; 02-23-2007 at 02:50 PM.
themerc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks?
what about the fact that its rtr with esc and all and a super small tranny? tires wheels shocks chassis links steering? makes it seem worth it now doesnt it? comes with a battery radio and charger...now how do you feel about it?
exactly...
Kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks?
what about the fact that its rtr with esc and all and a super small tranny? tires wheels shocks chassis links steering? makes it seem worth it now doesnt it? comes with a battery radio and charger...now how do you feel about it?
lol.....im not disagreeing, that is a pretty good deal for some, for me, just more junk i dont have room for so i'd rather just build the axles and use equipment i allready have. would be nice to see the cost to 4wd it down around 25 though.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #33
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: so*cal
Posts: 524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulaVW69
Funny, I must have gotten a few bad batches then. My original MT the rear shattered, the second one i got wore out, I later sold it. My MT2 which i converted to SS the rear also wore out. My drift RS4 and Super nitro Rally both also wore out the rear ones. I have sofar upgraded all but the drifter to THe hardened gears and those have held up a lot better than the pot metal. Granted the hardened ones cost 4 times as much they'll last 100 times longer. I say 4 times as much since some guy on ebay used to sell them for $21 off of a MT2SS per set and included the hardened spider gears. Now he raised the price a bit. I know in a NItro that most parts spin a lot faster than a Crawler, but in both my TLT rigs the rear diffs are showing signs of wear even though i have shimmed them and use white lithium grease unsparingly.
thats funny i have a 18 in mine as well and had no truble.
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com