Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: My WK build in progress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #1

Default My WK build in progress

Just thought I'd put up a few pics of my WK based 2.2 build. I've still got a bunch of little things to do but for the most part it'll stay close to this.

The WB sits just about 12.5" and has pretty good ground clearance. I have to rework the servo mount. The tires hits it :-(. I think I'm going to try to center it above the axle and try a thinner alloy. I was working with what I had and the aluminum was a little to thick for me to work with.I just ordered a set of Axial 2.2 beadlocks for my Moabs so the stock tires won't be staying. I also have to fab up some type of a skid plate for the trans. I couldn't really mount it any other way so the bottom sticks out a bit. Also I apologize for the wires being everywhere. I just threw them in there kinda quick and dirty to get an idea of there final placement.So what do you guys think? Any suggestions or ideas?
Rex4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

What's the chassis? Some type of larger RC'c shock mounts or did you machine it?
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #3
RCC Addict

whats scale about it?
nicerig tho
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net
whats scale about it?
nicerig tho

lol I noticed the scale part after I already posted it. I thought this section was for 2.2's.

The chassis is a set of XTM shock towers. I don't know for what vehicle but my LHS had them in stock so I got them.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Talking Chassis

Cool idea on that chassis.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default .

the chassis looks like mammoth st rear towers

they look to be a cnc after market

i was looking at stock ones the other day in the half off bin
tmaxxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

You could widen the frame,turn tranny side ways, rotate motor 90 degrees to tranny (on top), making new motor mount, put skid plate under tranny as mount for tranny, (also acts as frame support) which would make for more ground clearance and lower COG. Just a few ideas (works well has been done). Good start
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Nice WK build but, If you haven't noticed this is the tlt crawlers part
Brandon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
06 Super National Champ

I like the rear steer lockout.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex4223
...I just ordered a set of Axial 2.2 beadlocks for my Moabs so the stock tires won't be staying...
Where did you order these from that they are in stock???
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog
Where did you order these from that they are in stock???

I'm not sure they are in stock anywhere just yet. I placed the order with my local hobbytown. They still showed up as early March in there computer. He said it should be about a week or 2 before they arrive. I can't wait to see them.

JIA's DAD: Thanks for the ideas!!! I'm going to try that. I really didn't like the way the trans was mounted to begin with but couldn't think of any other way. Your way sounds much better and maybe even simpler. It would also provide a much sturdier mount for the trans and stiffen up the chassis.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #12

Kinda bringing this back from the dead. Ive finally got to work on this project a bit over the last few days and wanted to share my progress.

The WB now sits about 14.5". I decided to go with a sort of 60/40 setup due to the limitations in mounting places for the upper link.

Here you can see the upper 3 link. It's just an E-maxx a-arm! I pressed a 3mm lock nut into the open end and used some ball links that came with the hingepin kit for my Savage.

Here's the servo mount I hade using Harleys template. It used to be an RS4-3 chassis but I bent it so it got cut up.

Flex shot!

I'm still kinda working on the suspension. I attempted to make a droop setup but I'm not sure I fully understand the concept. The wheels are Axial 2.2s with Moabs and I added 3oz of sticky weights to each rim to aid in traction. I'm probably gonna cut out Harleys clocked motor plate and use that also but I have to more aluminum.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #13

Forgot this one. I kinda screwed up cutting out the template and the 3rd mounting holes was interfering with my steering. I simply cut it off and notched it so I could use the screw from the linkage bracket to hold it in place.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #14
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I used a Tmaxx upper arm on mine when I started building it and planned on using it as a battery shelf, but when I got it all mounted up, it wasn't quit what I expected as far as travel in the axle end joint (cause all the rotation has to be handled by that one). I may still go back to those as upper if I can figure out a pivot joint to use there instead of just a rod end.

Nice one with the shock tower there. That is where my chassis started out. I imported a shock tower into CAD and then just started modin' it from there till I had something the right size and a nice shape.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #15

Yeah the suspension travel isn't what I was expecting either. I can get it up a few more inches than it shows in the pic but the chassis gets a little goofy and it doesn't seem right. It's still a work in progress though so it may change as time goes on. I'm probably going to ditch the shock towers in favor of a tuber chassis. I've got everything bent and mocked up but I'm waiting for my buddy to tig weld it all together for me. If the tube chassis comes out okay I will have to change the upper links to the more traditional 4 link. Hopefully I can get Harleys motor plate cut out sometime this week and see wear that takes me.