Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Free WK servo mount templates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #201
Pebble Pounder

what is the reason that we have yet to see a servo mounted directly on top of the pumpkin? Is it to lower the center of gravity trying to place the servo as close to the axle as possible? The only problem i am having is mounting my battery pack. I am running an SW3 chassis, im gonna start trying different mounting options just wondering if there are any other reasons to avoid mounting dead center on the axle.
Roadbiker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 AM   #202
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbiker3 View Post
what is the reason that we have yet to see a servo mounted directly on top of the pumpkin? Is it to lower the center of gravity trying to place the servo as close to the axle as possible? The only problem i am having is mounting my battery pack. I am running an SW3 chassis, im gonna start trying different mounting options just wondering if there are any other reasons to avoid mounting dead center on the axle.
Well, if you're using the stock upper wishbone mount, then it does put the servo up pretty high to clear that. Plus if you centered it, it gives you less room to put your batt pack. With the servo on one side of the axle, it leaves the other side open for the pack. I suppose you could mount the servo in the center and then use a split pack putting batt's on both axle ends.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #203
RCC Addict

this is how I have mine mounted...it works great with a 2/3 pack shown is a 8 cell pack from holmes hobbies, it works great and its a great place to mount a battery pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbiker3 View Post
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #204
Pebble Pounder

Can you find that pack on their web-site??? That looks like the ticket, nice work!
Roadbiker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #205
RCC Addict

He builds them custom so whatever you want...this is one of the 1500 cells in a brick pack let him know how much tail you want on the plug and sit back and watch the mail I made the mount out of AL and mounted to the steering bracket and the hub screw then placed velcro on it and the battery and secured it with the ziptie. VERY STABLE.

Last edited by clarkrw3; 06-26-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #206

dang harley0706 mad props on the solidworks designing.... i just got my solidworks certification a little while ago
Turbo_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #207
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the template did mine over the weekend works great. Only had a Dremel to use so its kinda rough but I only need it to work not look pretty. Thanks again for the work you did to help us guys who like to make some of our own parts.
Attached Images

yarddog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #208
20K Club

Hey no problem at all man. Thanks for using it

I don't even have a picture of mine on here, I don't think so anyway I cheated though, mine was done on a lazer cutter.

Best pic I have, truck wasn't even close to done.

You can see that I actually run my drag link to the opposite side knuckle. I don't know if it is best or not but I like how smooth and even it is this way.

Really hard to see on this picture.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #209
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
You can see that I actually run my drag link to the opposite side knuckle. I don't know if it is best or not but I like how smooth and even it is this way.

Really hard to see on this picture.
I am doing the same thing. It just looked too odd and unnatural to have the short lil drag link going to the same side as the servo.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #210
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
I am doing the same thing. It just looked too odd and unnatural to have the short lil drag link going to the same side as the servo.
Honestly that was a big part of it for me as well. I had to add the bend and put the servo behind the bracket too, it helped my approach angle immensly.

SeanD should post up his new one too, it is a nice touch for people with stick packs.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #211
Rock Crawler

it's not a great pic but this is how I mounted my stick pack on my axle using harleys template
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:54 AM   #212
Rock Crawler

Default The Hammerhead!

Here's a servo/battery mount I made using harley0706's servo template as the basis for the servo mount and the inspiration of mwrightt's parallel axle mount for the battery. It is constructed of 1/8 aluminum. This was all done with a drill press, a hacksaw, a cutoff wheel on my dremel and a file - so its easily made by the masses. I printed the jpg file and it was to scale - on my printer anyway. This is the prototype so I can't be held responsible if there are mistakes/flaws in the design or design drawing.

This is why I call it The Hammerhead!!!

SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #213
RCC Addict

Very nice!!
Old 07-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #214
Quarry Creeper

Default hey harley0706 here is the bta mount

By yakimarcracer at 2007-07-16
By yakimarcracer at 2007-07-16 it would be a nice setup but the steering radius just kills you there was hardly any steering i use the same link from the front on the rear axle too
By yakimarcracer at 2007-07-17 now i just use the servo mount that goes over the pumpkin on the axle
YAKIMA RC RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #215

how can i get solidworks??
jonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #216
20K Club

$15,000 will get you the good copy.

or if you are a student $99 for a student version, it is limited but still an amazing deal for what you get.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:49 AM   #217
Quarry Creeper

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I just got my WK and did a quick conversion on it following HPI's version for my son and I to play with while I was on leave for my mid tour from Korea. Now I cant wait to get back and mod it some more and build a second one or another crawler.
Doodoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #218

YOU GUYS GOT IT GOING ON!
great work.
curdogexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #219
Rock Crawler

I can't seem to get the boxed plate to print to scale. Is there something I'm missin' ? I'm not too familiar with the printer so do I need to scal the print? How? I know, this isn't a computer forum but I got the day off and wanna finish this to go wheelin' tomorrow and test out the new chassis I made.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #220
20K Club

If it says 1: 0.964 or something close to that, then try clicking to fit to page option on your printer. I need to redo the plans so they are all uniform. I understand it can be confusing sometimes. It is also hard though since everyones printer is not the same.