Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: what do i need for a wheely king crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default what do i need for a wheely king crawler?

could someone please give me some information on what i need to build a wk crawler? i would like to know what hardware and components i need and how to build one. maybe i could get some info on building a tuber, but that may be to complex for a first crawler. i looks like a wk crawler should be cheaper than building a tlt crawler, which would cost me about $550. i like the look of tube chassis and the larger rigs, but a good clod rig would cost me over $1000. a wheely king looks like a good option if i can figure out how to make one.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

well first of all bye an rtr wheely king 4x4 and then you've got a pretty cool crawler!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

ask your lhs to see if the have part #'s
86813-dog bones
A431--dif case
____--berrings
86810-gear shaft
A855--diff finalgear set
A850-- diff bevel gear set
_____- drive shaft
toatle 54.17 i think around that

hope that helps you and yes there fun 2wd and 4wd
you can see mine here
my vs wk
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

If you really want to make a good crawler out of a rtr WK wether it be 2wd or 4, you will need to at the very least relocate the battery to the front of th truck.

Even better yet would be to ditch the factory chassis and build or buy something a little more adustable

I built one around a SW2 just for kicks, never drove it though cause it was still 2wd at the time and and I needed the chassis for my comp rig.

you can use most every part of the WK if you plan it out well, except the chassis and motor
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

yea the motors little to fast maby try a 44t 55t just not a 27t like whats on it
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshimonator
well first of all bye an rtr wheely king 4x4 and then you've got a pretty cool crawler!
Great advise depending on what section of the globe you are on. Here they are not available as a 4x4 and the parts are always on back order.
Rat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

tower hobbies has the wk 4x4. also, what would be good links for replacing the plastic ones and extending the wheelbase? does anyone know if anyone is building a chassis for sale that can be used on a wk. i have a mamba max esc, so i probably would get a brushless outrunner. if i could find a chassis layout for sideplates for a crawling chassis for it my dad may be allowed to make it in the machine shop in the technical school were he is a teachers assistant officially, but he unofficially teaches the class. he also works 2nd shift in a cnc machine shop doing wire edm (cutting metal with electricity with great percision).
Old 03-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Not yet. >>>http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXRSJ2**&P=0<<< it says order pending which means they are trying to get them from the manufacturer at this time
Old 03-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i know that they dont have them yet, but they will. i guess people who said they were only going to be released in europe were wrong.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman
i know that they dont have them yet, but they will. i guess people who said they were only going to be released in europe were wrong.
The real kicker is that a 4x4 version is available ARTR (minus radio gear) in Japan. Maybe one day they too will make it state side.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
There's been a lot of speculation.... I don't remember anyone saying that they wouldn't be available in the US. And HPI doesn't usually release something in JUST Europe. They just release it there first, then it comes to us.

It's likely gonna be a LONG time before you can have a RTR 4x4 WK in your hands. The 4x4 wasn't even listed on Tower on Thursday! "Order pending" means Tower has NO idea when they will get the truck. That means HPI hasn't given them an approximate ship date yet. The next step is that Tower will say something like "available xx/xx/2007". And they usually don't hit that target correctly. So, don't start holding your breath just yet.

As far as what to use for YOUR build... the only advice anyone can give you is already posted in the threads in this section. Read up and see what they used.
swhenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Just about any of the chassis available for the TLT-1 should work...you'll probably have to fab/modify axle mounts and a few minor things, but should be easy. If you've never built a crawler, a tuber is not a good first build...stick with something a bit easier and read up here...there are several good threads where you will can find out how to build your own tube frame.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i would cost me $80 more to build a crawler out of a wheely king using an sw2 chassis than it would to build a tlt. but also i can buy the wheely king first and mess around with it while i save up for a crawling setup. can i use the stock wk tranny? i hear the motor is mounted too high on the transmission. is there a way to change that. if i have to buy a different tranny it would make the wheely king sw2 cost $130 more than a tlt sw2. Could i also get a list of parts with part #'s that i will need to build a wheely king crawler. i based the pricing of a wk crawler off of the tlt, but instead of the cost of the tlt kit, i put in the cost of the wheely king, and i excluded the tranny in the cost for a wk. i already have a radio, reciever, and mamba max esc that i can use in it. i will be buying a holmes hobbies revolver motor and a hitec 645 servo. i just need to know what else i need besides electronics, the wheely king 4x4, and sw2 chassis (or maybe an sw3)
Old 03-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

The big cost offset for you is that you have the electronics, and therefore can't benefit from the WK being RTR. Someone starting with NO parts and willing to use the RTR electronics will be in a different comparison.

The motor on the WK tranny is quite high. I think JIA's dad clocked the motor mount, maybe they can help out here? Although if running a lighter brushless motor, maybe it won't be a big issue?

No one is gonna hold your hand and show you how to build it. There is no established list of parts for you... everyone has done it different, and there are many custom parts on each. That's why you need to read through each build and see what each person has done.... pick a method, or one of your own, based on your fab-ilities! They each list part numbers in their thread to help you out.

I'm sure after a bunch of people have learned some tricks, there will be a sticky like there is for building a TLT crawler... but for now, you're gonna have to use some of your own creativity.

Last edited by swhenrik; 03-21-2007 at 07:58 AM.
swhenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

does anyone know how long i need the links to be on a wheely king sw2 crawler. i cant pick out links until i know what length i need. i know that there are 1 or 2 people on here that are making a wheely king sw2. i'll talk them about building on of these. i cant buy various equipment and then figure out what works because i do not have a job, and once i do get one it will be only part time. most of you guys have no problem because you guys have full time jobs. i also have no experience with crawlers and have no one to help me out. i am doing the best i can.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #16
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
does anyone know how long i need the links to be on a wheely king sw2 crawler. i cant pick out links until i know what length i need. i know that there are 1 or 2 people on here that are making a wheely king sw2. i'll talk them about building on of these. i cant buy various equipment and then figure out what works because i do not have a job, and once i do get one it will be only part time. most of you guys have no problem because you guys have full time jobs. i also have no experience with crawlers and have no one to help me out. i am doing the best i can.
what you shooting for wheelbase wise ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

a 12.5" wheelbase unless the wheely king would do well as a super class rig against clods. if it would not make a good super then will it compete well as a 2.2 rig? i will be buying the wheely king first, and then it will be a bit until i would get an sw2 chassis. after that i would have to find a way to mount the motor lower. by the time i get a wheely king and sw2 chassis hopefully someone will have a servo mount for sale. bender is already planning on buying a wheely king and making link mounts for use with the sw2 chassis. hopefully he will make an axle mounted servo mount. what would be good driveshafts for using with the stock wheely king tranny and axles? i heard something about revo driveshafts. would those work? will they bolt on without having to be modified? is there a certain part # i need or do i just get some revo driveshafts?