Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Wheely King Transmission Details

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #21
RCC Addict

so while you had the tranny center slipper apart, did it look like you could change the gearing in the botom of the tranny? 15t pinion to stock 22t idler, attached to a for example 20t idler meshed to a 30t final gear? it looked like there may be a little room inside the tranny case for more reduction.
22/15=1.46 30/20=1.5 1.46*1.5= 2.2:1 instead of 1.87:1

or would it be worth the PITA to do it and make it work compared to doing a regular gear reduction box
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

The stock gears pretty much fill the space available. I just change the spur and pinion setups.

Last edited by JIA's Dad; 05-03-2007 at 01:17 PM.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #23
RCC Addict

it was just a thought. I have a 96t in there now, and with the 6.5" tall k'rocks, it is still closer to trail speed than crawler speed. i may have to do a little shaving and put the 13t pinion on. even then i dunno, maybe go for more than 55 turn?
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:22 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

I nominate this thread for sticky. It's got a lot of good info.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

OK, THE NEXT WEAKEST LINK. As I said before, the slipping had become a serious problem and yes I have replacement parts (3 more trannys). Since I am curious, I decided to JB weld to slipper clutch together. Well that stopped to slipping, but when I hung the truck up in some serious rocks at a comp yesterday I found the next weakest link. I TOTALLY stripped every tooth off the 15 tooth gear (the smallest gear) in the tranny. So if any of the vendors read this, WE NEED METAL GEARS MADE for replacements in the WK tranny. I did replace the gear and also replaced the slipper assembly, to allow slippage and ran the second course of the event to no avail again slipping seriously on some tough rocks and crevasses. It seams the tranny may be weaker than I originally thought, for the competitive rock crawling application.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

i think it be better just to buy a new trans than to put ouy money to make mettal gears for the stock trany. it aint like the trans gas a good cog anyway
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

i have been tinking that there has to be a lil bit of slip in the tranny to run the stock plastic gears.. but you have to lock up the clicker or else it sucks... i would suggest fitting a slipper clutch on the top shaft like a rc10gt.. this way it can be set tighter and still have a lil give for when you are seriously stuck... i have a feeling that this setup would not slip like the clicker because the clicker gives way to easily for crawling... its just an idea..
jeff jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I never even looked in the stock tranny, but it is possible to put in a heavier spring, or maybe even a piece of urethane that would still give, but would take more force to break free?
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Possible but very hard. There are two C clips, one on the outside of each gear that fits in a grove on the shaft. Replacing the clips is hard as the spring tension is strong. It may be possible to get a stronger spring but since I bent the gears compressing the stock spring in order to replace the clips, I feel a stiffer spring would be extremely hard to install. Maybe a spacer, such as a washer may be a solution but due to space, hard to install. But still anything stronger (more pressure)in order to stop or limit the slipping means stripping the gears. As I have said this transmission may not be the best transmission for Rock Crawling. It seems to work well for the everyday bashing setups. And popping wheelies as it was designed to do. Please remember I have bought 4 Wheely Kings and I am a proud owner and supporter, I'm only posting my personal findings and opinions.
MY broken parts list so far, a broken steering bell crank, a broken steering arm, and a totally stripped 15 tooth tranny gear. Not a long list!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Put a spacer in between the two clicker (slipper) gears, then CA them all together...then fit a real slipper setup on the input shaft like Jeff Jenkins said...ie RC10, Losi, whatever fits. Time to start researching...lol!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Put a spacer in between the two clicker (slipper) gears, then CA them all together...then fit a real slipper setup on the input shaft like Jeff Jenkins said...ie RC10, Losi, whatever fits. Time to start researching...lol!
Lets bring this back up top

If we could find just the top input gear in metal, it would be then almost identical to all the other tranny's out there.

what pitch is the gears? maybe find something in my catalogs to replace the input gear
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #32

i have a problem with the tranny i stripped the small 15t gear out. it never started the clicking at all. does anyone have a spare i can buy??
crazie stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie stephen View Post
i have a problem with the tranny i stripped the small 15t gear out. it never started the clicking at all. does anyone have a spare i can buy??
th entire gear set from tower is only 8.00
Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus View Post
I'm running a 93 tooth spur (had to leave the cover off) and a 12 tooth pinion. Still running the stock motor with that gearing
how are you doing that? my 14/96 combo puts the can all the way against the trans.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

^^^ I have 96/13 on mine with a small amount of trimming on the tranny
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #36

Default gear selection

i am running a 9 tooth pinion and a 70 tooth spur on the stock motor and kept stripping out tranny gears until i burnt the motor up. i am hoping to get a 55t motor or use a gear reduction box. does anyone think the box will help if i still run thouse gears?
crazie stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

I've ran 9 tooth pinion and a 72 tooth spur gear with a 450 park brushless motor for months in the Scorpion King without stripping out gears until I JB welded the slipper clutch. Can you tell me how your stripping gears? Usually the slipper clutch handles that problem and slips.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Doing some research for a buddy w/ a WK.

He is having the same issue w/ the clicking.

We talked about locking the gears together, but thought the small gear would become an issue (which it appears to be the case.) as the stress was transferred throughout the drive train.

I guess the real fix would be an upgraded set of internal gears and perhaps a spool?

I'll be keeping an eye open for updates.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Doing some research for a buddy w/ a WK.

He is having the same issue w/ the clicking.

We talked about locking the gears together, but thought the small gear would become an issue (which it appears to be the case.) as the stress was transferred throughout the drive train.

I guess the real fix would be an upgraded set of internal gears and perhaps a spool?

I'll be keeping an eye open for updates.

the clicking can also be coming from the rear axle. if the screws are loose of the gears improperly shimmed
Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks View Post
the clicking can also be coming from the rear axle. if the screws are loose of the gears improperly shimmed
No, we have isolated it to the tranny.

Disassembled the tranny and discovered the exact set up JIA's Dad described.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote