Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: CUSTOM axle shafts!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default CUSTOM axle shafts!!!

Well been looking at all the post here. I came up with these. 3/16" zinc coated steel rod. Used Dremmel Tool carefully on the end where shaft goes into diff.( Hand machined to fit) Drilled a 1/16" hole at other end inserted a 1/16" Tension Pin. Shaved a little off the length of those. They came 1/2" long ( just a little too long) Bevelled the end where it meets rubber o ring. Used a #60 rubber 0 ring on the shaft to fit outside of bearing like the larger part of original. INSTALLED, RAN THE SNOT out of them WOW they work PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!! DIFF will be here MONDAY from ULTIMATEHOBBIES.COM. They are out of stock now. 4x4 here I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...tommade003.jpg
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Nice job Wish some places carried replacements, but for now making them is the best option.
4x4dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Thanx, These were so easy to make. I am just going to make them now. I can make quite a few for the same price as a replacement pair. Custom Made and still have the rear steering option.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

O.K. do not use TENSION PINS I shreded 1 of them today. Other than that set up works fine. I need to find a solid PIN to replace the tension PIN. Will look at lowes tommorow to see what I can find. The parts bag that came with thw WK has PINS for 12mm alxe nut thing but I think are a littl etoo short?? Might try anyway.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I see steering radius problems unless you turn down the area before the pin. Like the original axles. The turn down is a must for turning. They may work for rear though.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

for the pin problem you can use uber small hex wrenchs cut down, there really strong.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Try to find a piston pin roller bearing from a motorcycle or other small engine. If you have any friends that work on bikes they would give you a used one I am sure.

Once you get the bearing, pop the rollers out of the cage and use them for pins. You can ca them in place, or put them in the hole and pein the end of the shaft to squeze the hole shut on the pin. They come in different sizes. You might need to check a couple to get the size you need. The ones I have been using are from an old yamaha DT100.
DumpsterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I used music wire for the pins... JIA dad is correct they only really work in the rear.
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

Thanx, I got some welding wire from work I am going to try that 1st.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
Ace
Rock Crawler

After the welding wire breaks I'd go with music wire!

Music wire is high carbon steel. Very strong.

How you gonna hold them in? I've used set screws tapped into the end to hold them.

I've also silver soldered them in.

Press fit would do to.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

CA GLUE 1/16" hole and 1/16" Wire, Tight Fit with CA glue. Will it work?
Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
I joined the Band!

What kind of Music instrument Wire are you talking about? Oh YEAH I just got a front and rear set of HARDNEDED GEARS and DIFF CASES off evilbay. Would the 36/14 gearing help that much in crawling. I paid 28 bucks for everything. I am thinking retail everything I bought would have been around $50.00 LHS prices. Anyway I will have 2 DIFF CASES extra They seem to be like GOLD around here.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

My lhs had some roll pins that would fit for that application. I think they are the same pin size that fits into wheel nut.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

your LHS should have K&S music wire in stock... I think it was .078

drill the hole in the shaft a hair smaller then the wire... press or hammer the wire into the steel shaft, the wire is much harder the then steel round stock so it make a nice press fit.... this worked well for me

HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

I guess I am the kind of guy looking to do something different, Skipped the Welding wire I am trying #17 Stainless Steel BRAD Nails. With a little ca glue. GOING NOW TO SEE IF IT HOLDS UP!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

O.K. just went through 2 Batteries. NO BREAKAGE!! BASHED the CRAP out of it. I still might try the MUSIC WIRE for a Tight Fit with no CA GLUE. Just to try it. Man I can make tons of these for the Price of 1 Set. You do not need to MACHINE the DIFF end. Just a Grinder and Some Finesse. The 2nd Pair I made work a Perfect fit no play at all, just like the stock ones. Any way any OPInions on the Hardend Gears that I will be getting????
Old 04-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #17

These actually look pretty decent.
tuccan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
I joined the Band!

Hey Guys I am telling you the Stainless Steel Brads are holding up Great!! CA glue seems to be doing the trick for keeping them in tight. I also Glued the O Rings in position because that is what holds the Bearings in. I guess I could use a smaller drill bit than a 1/16" then the brads would be hammered in tight with no glue.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking View Post
What kind of Music instrument Wire are you talking about? Oh YEAH I just got a front and rear set of HARDNEDED GEARS and DIFF CASES off evilbay. Would the 36/14 gearing help that much in crawling. I paid 28 bucks for everything. I am thinking retail everything I bought would have been around $50.00 LHS prices. Anyway I will have 2 DIFF CASES extra They seem to be like GOLD around here.
Drat. A diff case is all I lack. I've had everything else sitting around here for at least a week. I was able to find the gears etc. at my LHS in the old stack of NMT parts, the inner axles I ordered with the truck (and got them somehow) but no diff cases.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #20
I joined the Band!

NICE SCORE (and LUCK) on the axle shafts. MY Diff case is in Transit and will be here tommorow from Ultimatehobbies.com. I CANNOT SLEEP!! It was like when I was a Kid waiting for x-mas morning!!!! Tommorow I will be 4x4 and we will see what kind of crawler I have.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...125YA-6025.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...125YA-6006.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...125YA-6016.jpg