Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: 4wd wk Wheel base longer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 4wd wk Wheel base longer

what links do u use to make the 4wd wk wheel base longer.ALSO what shafts do you use
Troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I used emaxx shafts and outputs.
Stock 2.5 Revo pushrods for upper links
Tmaxx 3.3 turnbuckles (128mm) for lower

I'm at
1RCbasher2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

ok i like it alot looks like your at 12"inch wheel base do u have more pics like a side view or ur wk.and is there a big difference when the tranny is unlocked or locked.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i don't think the wk tranny has a diff. do you mean the axles ?
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i guess so idk what they have lol im new to this
Old 05-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

A Stampede tranny has a diff because it is made to drive the rear wheels on the pede, that is it's two output shafts don't go to the front and rear axles, instead they go to each of the rear wheels.

The Wheely King tranny is made for a 4 wheel drive car, it's output shafts are made to go to a front and rear axles...so the WK tranny does not have a diff, both front and rear output shafts are locked together. You don't have to worry about locking a WK tranny.

WK axles do have diffs. I drove my 4x4 WK for a week before putting poster-putty in the diffs. Poster putty is the adhesive putty made for attaching posters to walls without harming the wall. PP is much firmer than Silly Putty and PP fits into the WK's diff capsule very well, giving a limited slip effect. Limited slip diffs work very well for climbing and crawling but have some slip to help turning and to help prevent the axles from breaking.

I drove my stock 9.5" wheelbase WK today and another guy drove his WK that has a 12.5" wheelbase and has the battery mounted on the front top links. His WK climbed much better than mine. My battery is mounted in the stock battery box but the chassis is reversed so the battery is now in the front. Problem is that the battery box places the battery high in the chassis. His battery that is mounted on the front suspension links gives his WK a much lower center of gravity. The lower CG lets his WK climb steeper rocks than mine can and his longer WB gives his WK lots of articulation and generally helps it crawl better.

Hope this helps. The amount of info available can be pretty intimidating and the info is scattered here and there so it's hard to find. Hang in there and read, read, read. One question is worth hours of reading though.
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I used arrow shafts to extend the wheel base. I am really happy with the way they turned out and how strong they are. I used revo rod ends on the shafts.

For the drive shafts I used E-Maxx drive shafts and shortened them a little.
4x4dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSSS View Post
A Stampede tranny has a diff because it is made to drive the rear wheels on the pede, that is it's two output shafts don't go to the front and rear axles, instead they go to each of the rear wheels.

The Wheely King tranny is made for a 4 wheel drive car, it's output shafts are made to go to a front and rear axles...so the WK tranny does not have a diff, both front and rear output shafts are locked together. You don't have to worry about locking a WK tranny.

WK axles do have diffs. I drove my 4x4 WK for a week before putting poster-putty in the diffs. Poster putty is the adhesive putty made for attaching posters to walls without harming the wall. PP is much firmer than Silly Putty and PP fits into the WK's diff capsule very well, giving a limited slip effect. Limited slip diffs work very well for climbing and crawling but have some slip to help turning and to help prevent the axles from breaking.

I drove my stock 9.5" wheelbase WK today and another guy drove his WK that has a 12.5" wheelbase and has the battery mounted on the front top links. His WK climbed much better than mine. My battery is mounted in the stock battery box but the chassis is reversed so the battery is now in the front. Problem is that the battery box places the battery high in the chassis. His battery that is mounted on the front suspension links gives his WK a much lower center of gravity. The lower CG lets his WK climb steeper rocks than mine can and his longer WB gives his WK lots of articulation and generally helps it crawl better.

Hope this helps. The amount of info available can be pretty intimidating and the info is scattered here and there so it's hard to find. Hang in there and read, read, read. One question is worth hours of reading though.
mike,Buddy,I know we just met today.But thats me your talking about,LOL..It was good to meet you Mike!Thats my WK it the second post
Old 05-16-2007, 12:08 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
ok i like it alot looks like your at 12"inch wheel base do u have more pics like a side view or ur wk.and is there a big difference when the tranny is unlocked or locked.
Look here in my photobucket.Some more oics and a couple of videos clips

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Nitro/Crawler/
Old 05-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

ok thankyou MikeSSS that helped me out and thnakyou for telling me all that.HEY 1RCbasher2NV thanks for the photobucket and stuff nice crawler also do u have any vids of the stock 4wd wk
Old 05-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

No stock vid,Sorry!!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

ok n/p ill just have to wait and see wat it can do b/c im getting mine soon thats y im asking to see how to mod the wheel base
Old 05-19-2007, 10:48 PM   #13

Question Are these the parts?

I'm new to the Wheely King and RC Crawling. I'm wanting to extend the wheel base also. Are these the parts I need? I have to order them on line so I want to make sure before a placed the order:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXDDY3&P=K

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TRAC6319&P=K

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXSP55&P=K

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=TAMC6121&P=K

If this is not right can someone please post the correct links? Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:43 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

hello ppl i used all the stock stuff on the wk and just put T-Maxx turnbuckles for the lower links and now i have a 10.5 wheel base.really all i need now is some shafts not sure wat to use.But i do have alot of pede shafts idk if they will work though.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

These are what I used for the shafts...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXSP55&P=K

Made my own links so I can't really help you there, kind of a hit and miss type thing when you first start out...
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
hello ppl i used all the stock stuff on the wk and just put T-Maxx turnbuckles for the lower links and now i have a 10.5 wheel base.really all i need now is some shafts not sure wat to use.But i do have alot of pede shafts idk if they will work though.

post number 2 in this thread tells you what to use .....
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote