Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: noob droop question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #1

Question noob droop question

Hey guys, noob here, so bare with me. Anyway, I have a WK 4x4 on a SW 2 currently. stock electronics, 65 T motor, pede tranny, soon to be WK tranny & clocked motor plate, 9/93 gearing, 12.5 inch wheel base, custom links, narrowed HPI stock rims, Mashers, BTA steering, custom rear axel plate to match front, and I have a tuber almost ready. I have done my homework and thanks to all those who have posted such great ideas and templates! My Question is: How do you set up a shock for droop and how vertical should they be? I have read with the "search" feature and I understand why it works just not sure how to assemble the shock to preform this. I have stock WK shocks for now and was going to run SAE 30 motor oil instead of shock oil. What size and strength should the inner springs be and where do they go? any advise would be great and hopefully I will have pics soon!
jason3114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
20K Club

I am working on my first full droop setup right now but this is what i "know":

Run the lightest springs you can find, put them in the shock body first then insert the piston. This will "compress" the shock at rest.

Or JIA used 1000wt diff oil ONLY in the King Bling WK Tuber. He seemed to like it, so that is another route for you to go.

On a side note, I would keep the pede tranny.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'm playing with Savage shocks on my stock wb truck as a drooper, I'll keep things up to date as I get the time.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Im working on a full droop rig now. What i have found is that the lights springs arent the best. With to light of springs the shock will unload easly under strain, side hills, and steep climbs. Im actuially running pretty heavy springs.

To setup droop on stock wk shocks you need to get springs that are about 1 3/4 tall and the same innrer diameter of your shocks. Then remove the shock shaft and piston and place the spring under that. That will keep the shock compressed. Reassemble wit no external spring. I reccomend 100 weight, or something a bit less.
pbfrk4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You better get some additional tips if you plan on hangin with the $.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfrk4life View Post
Im working on a full droop rig now. What i have found is that the lights springs arent the best. With to light of springs the shock will unload easly under strain, side hills, and steep climbs. Im actuially running pretty heavy springs.

To setup droop on stock wk shocks you need to get springs that are about 1 3/4 tall and the same innrer diameter of your shocks. Then remove the shock shaft and piston and place the spring under that. That will keep the shock compressed. Reassemble wit no external spring. I reccomend 100 weight, or something a bit less.
You might have your links setup a little off.

I can run mine with out springs and it doesn't do to bad. With the lightest springs I can find the front is perfect. It's still a little stiff in the back though.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
I'm playing with Savage shocks on my stock wb truck as a drooper, I'll keep things up to date as I get the time.
I'm running droop on my WK with hotbodies threaded savage shocks. Personally, I think it's pretty trick, but then I'm a total noob at this whole crawling thing, so I may find out how badly it sucks this weekend at Green River. Anyhow, I'm running 100 wt shock oil in mine, and no springs, I have seen it unload twice climbing and once sidehilling but all three times I felt like the whole works was on the verge of tumbling by the time I started to see any unloading. I think a little CG work would go a long way.
cotharyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #8

thanks guys

keep the advise coming, Im sure it helps others besides me who are trying to run droop

im gonna do some work tonight and will let you know how it works out!
Old 05-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotharyus View Post
I'm running droop on my WK with hotbodies threaded savage shocks. Personally, I think it's pretty trick, but then I'm a total noob at this whole crawling thing, so I may find out how badly it sucks this weekend at Green River. Anyhow, I'm running 100 wt shock oil in mine, and no springs, I have seen it unload twice climbing and once sidehilling but all three times I felt like the whole works was on the verge of tumbling by the time I started to see any unloading. I think a little CG work would go a long way.

I've found that too, I'm going to try VMG springs on the inside with the heaviest shock oil I can find at home and maybe Traxxas black springs on the outside so I have a little suspension compression when needed for where I run at. I'm working on pics of it as it sits and will post them after work tonight in a new thread.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Here's a link to the pics I posted
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...523#post707523
Old 05-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I found that if you put some pocket lint with a little sandpaper in the shock it helps a bunch.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #12

Ummm... Ok.... Lets try that