Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

View Poll Results: Lighting Options
Option A: Roof Mount 28 45.90%
Option B: Hood, close to cab 22 36.07%
Option C: Hood, near front end 17 27.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Harley0706's "Goferit" WK Tuber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #21
20K Club

Photos of the new diff lockers

And these were only $15!

All of my parts will be here tomorrow. I wish freaking shipping wasn't so expensive I would have had the frame over-nighted.

I am building the shocks right now. I had to go for the ball point pen springs, ACE didn't have any.

I just hope that the suspension works well, I may have to try a different weight shock oils. I may just pic up a couple more sets of shocks to be able to swap in and out easily.

Last edited by Harley; 05-22-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2007, 07:19 AM   #22
Im Brandon

Nice simple design on those lockers, I really like them
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #23
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Also soon available will be the servo mount plate that I designed.

I've been getting emails and phone calls about that...

I thought there was a slew of people explaining to you how the servo plate needed to be made in another thread.

If you took input from several people that pointed out problems with your CAD drawings how can you say that you designed it?

To add insult to injury you stated in the thread where myself and others helped you that the servo mount template wasn't being made available so that folks could produce/sell them (post #9 in that thread)...yet this seems to be exactly what you're doing with the design.

What's the story?
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #24
20K Club

It isn't going to be produced. We had a discussion about it. It will remain available as a template, that was never going to change.

I sent you a PM asking to take the template off that did not have the top boxed in because it is at the wrong scale.

Yes I did say it was not for anyone to profit from. When I posted that what I meant is that I didn't want someone taking it and making them and selling them. I did take advice from many of you on how you would like it.

Eitherway it is not being produced, period.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #25
06 Super National Champ

In our discussion your answer was simply a "no" but yet I still see posts saying to look for it for sale from TCS.

So, naturally...I'm confused.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #26
20K Club

I have tried to remove all posts saying that after it was discussed. As for the "No" I sent a message a few seconds after that. I hit enter and it sent by mistake.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

This is gonna be a great build. Maybe PM's or email would be a more appropriate place for the last few comments?
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #28
20K Club

To all whom it may concern:

I am sorry if anyone was insulted by the talk of the servo template going into production. None of these servo templates will be available for sale as far as is within my concent.

I wish that it was not discussed in public and that it could have been taken care of in private with those that were concerned.

My e-mail is open to anyone for anything related to crawlers. I am very proud that so many of you have benefited from the template being available. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I would probably buy a vendor star so that I was free to have them produced by someone else though, even if I were not the one selling them.

I would do most anything to help advance the hobby, I have been a faithful member of RCCrawler since July of 2004 and have loved the entire time here. I have met some great people and coresponded with many others. I don't feel that anyone that knows me thinks of me as a bad, dishonest, or unethical person.

I would not have taken the actions I did if I thought people would be unhappy with it. I hope that we will release a different and equally well thoughtout servo mount for the WK in the near future. I believe that people would like to have options available and I hope that I can help our vendors out in getting that accomplished.

Again I didn't want to affend anyone.

Josh Thiede

Now back to having FUN
Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #29
20K Club

Ok I got some progress done today.

The frame came in this afternoon to my office. As soon as I got home I got right to work.
I ran a tap through the threads for the shock mounts. Finished building my shocks using the ball point pen springs and 80 weight shock oil.

I just made some quick links out of all-thread.

Jeff from JWCustomwurks is going to be making me some sweet delrin links. These will look great, and will help me slide over the rocks. I really like delrin and think it is the perfect link material, for this application.

Here is a picture of the servo mount. The servo is not the one being used, nor is it mounted. I was simply checking clearances and bend angles.

Last edited by Harley; 05-23-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #30
20K Club

Here is the R2, I am going to mount it from the side so that the belly pan of the rig stays as smooth as possible.

The pinion angles keep the drive shafts well out of the way but still seem to function without binding.

Hood is not mounted, I just hit it with the buffing wheel on the bench grinder to add some character (Yes the trans is flipped here from the previous pic, it will remain this way).

Old 05-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #31
20K Club

Brandon (Nluvwithxlr8ing) is making me a Lexan hood and roof/back panel for this. He is also going to do the paint job on them. I decided to a "Rock Racer" theme for it. I am going to do a MX style number on the back, and I am going to make some window nets out of something. I would like to get one of those little cell phone holder racing seats and place it in the cockpit. Even if it is mostly hacked up it will give the illusion at first.

I am also going to come up with some skid plates that will try and minimize the amount of snap points on the leading edge of the bottom plate. I will have to wait until I get the rest of the stuff in and mocked up though.

My brushless stuff, Blue Axial Rock rings, and Diff Lockers all came today. The problem is that the post man didn't leave the box at my apartment's office like normal. So I will have to wait until tomorrow.

Big thanks goes out to Cole82, he got this frame done very quickly for me. I am a big fan of the simplicty of it, and I am very excited to play with my first droop suspension.

Last edited by Harley; 05-23-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Looks good brother.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I hate it when the postman does that. Your ride is lookin good. Makes me wanna pull mine apart and get it powdercoated.
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I am digging this build with a shovel! The gopher chassis is so simple yet very sweet.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #35
20K Club

Just another little piece I think I am going to add is JWCustomwurks rear steering lockouts. That will really clean up the rear end, and for $15 or so it is easier then me making them. I just need to ask Jeff to do them now (and I need a set for my TLT)!

I also need to find a good powder coater.

Last edited by Harley; 05-23-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Very nice Harley , i'am waiting on a tuber myself, i will definetly be "borrowing" some of your build ideas. Awesome work.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #37
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Jeff from JWCustomwurks is going to be making me some sweet delrin links. These will look great, and will help me slide over the rocks. I really like delrin and think it is the perfect link material, for this application.
First all this just my pinion, but seem like with derlin when in longer lenghts that bends when you get tire bounded up, But then again I have 1/4'' bent derlin links and that could be the problem, other then that i been happy with them. I hope the 5/16'' works better, it should. I'm still torn be bent derlin links or straight ss links.

Also whats your belly height ?
whats your height from the ground to top of the roof ?

Last edited by eric113; 05-24-2007 at 06:49 AM.
eric113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
First all this just my pinion, but seem like with derlin when in longer lenghts that bends when you get tire bounded up, But then again I have 1/4'' bent derlin links and that could be the problem, other then that i been happy with them. I hope the 5/16'' works better, it should. I'm still torn be bent derlin links or straight ss links.

Also whats your belly height ?
whats your height from the ground to top of the roof ?

The 5/16" links are pretty stout and on the lower links I use TRA5255 long rod ends to shorten the length of the Delrin rod. They are alot stiffer than the 1/4" links.
jwcustomwurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #39
20K Club

With the heavy duty rod ends and the relatively short length of the links I think it will work well.

I was over at his house and saw another set he did on a full delrin WK chassis and they looked great.

Just bought the racing seat on ebay. I am going to bend a dash up for it soon and then I need to get a steering wheel.

Window net materail shopping will be done tonight too.

I can't decide on a color for them though:
Red
Orange
Yellow
Black
Green

Any opinions? I don't want blue, because I want them to stand out.

This is the seat, I didn't see a black one I liked until after I paid for the grey one. Oh well no biggy.

^^Does that picture show up for you guys? It just shows the link on mine, but the img code is on?

Last edited by Harley; 05-24-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #40

Just a link. Cool though.
IronRC is offline   Reply With Quote