Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: XL-5 ESC in Wheely King (demo video)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default XL-5 ESC in Wheely King (demo video)

I heard someone on this forum a couple days ago say that they put a XL-5 ESC from a Traxxas Stampede in their Wheely King. Since the stock ESC brakes didn't work I decided to put an XL-5 into my WK crawler. HUGE improvment, the brakes work exactly how I want them to. It has a doubble pump reverse which isn't great, but works fine for me. I know it isn't as good as a Mamba Max, but I just can't afford one right now.....

Here are a couple test videos I did. This one is going down the ramp forward with the brakes at 100%. Then going back up the hill in reverse:

Now This one is with the XL-5, not using the brakes. It shows what it used to be like for me with the stock WK ESC. (going down forward 0% brakes and 0% throttle)

Last edited by 4x4dodge; 05-26-2007 at 08:44 PM.
4x4dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well, I also saw someone else putting the XL-5 in their WK, and I follow the lead. I kinda had to. Here's the thread with my problem in it...

Motor issues, brushes?

I agreee the XL-5 is alot better than the WK electronics, but it still leaves alot to be desired IMO. I do like the feel of the TQ3 ALOT better I'll give it that. I went out to do some testing also on the XL-5 today and I did have a few spots where my brakes actually flipped me(foward) over going down a slope. The brakes are a tad better but still are very sensitive....but alot better than the motor not glitching(for some unknown reason).
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I would put a Mamba Maxx in my WK in a second, if i had the money. They are the best out there IMO. I have seen them used in comps and you can let go of the trigger on a down hill and the truck comes to a perfect stop. The throttle sensitivity can be changed and everything. But for now the XL-5 is a 100% improvment over the stock ESC.(IMO)
4x4dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dodge View Post
I would put a Mamba Maxx in my WK in a second, if i had the money. They are the best out there IMO. I have seen them used in comps and you can let go of the trigger on a down hill and the truck comes to a perfect stop. The throttle sensitivity can be changed and everything. But for now the XL-5 is a 100% improvment over the stock ESC.(IMO)
Ya, the MM is definately on my wish list, as soon as I can afford it, maybe a package deal from Holmes? I got to drive a tlt a while back at a gtg and the drag brake is awesome.
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote