Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: WK Tranny Fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

I tryed to fix my tranny with the screws, but lost part of it in the process. This worked to my advantage though. I just took out some JB Weld and packed the thing with it But still made sure not to get it on any of the gears. The jb Weld is still doing great up to now, and I highly recommend it, if you don't want to put in the screws

sorry for the big picture
newpinesap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Default Direct Drive

Has anyone tried modifying the running gear to not use a transmission at all? I know it sounds crazy but they did it on the Kyosho Rock Force. The spur gear is in the middle of the two drive shafts - It has some side benefits too, lower CG - you can put the motor way down low and stronger drag braking.
lwarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

The rockforce uses worm gears. Thats where all the reduction is, is in the worm gear. Say that the RF has a 24 tooth ring gear. With the worm gear, it will have a 24 to 1 reduction, just in the axle.

Ring and pinion axles need a trans for further reduction. Otherwise you would be geared for some extreme speed by eliminating the trans in a WK.
arthurc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I've been considering the geartrain out of my Esky Heli: brushless motor, HUGE spur gear, and a 5mm shaft.
The main problem is you need the huge spur to get proper gear ratio, and it will eat any clearance or CG advantages...

what I'm planning is a shortended Wk chassis, to fit tamiya's WW2 body.
The driveshafts are my hurdle: I need to shorten each end by 1.3". Since each driveshaft has only a 1" slider section...
killbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod Rhombus View Post
I simply removed the spring and replaced it with a shock spacer after I dremeled off the little "notch" part. Fit in there perfectly. I've been running it that way for about 4 months now with no problems....and no clicking!
x2!!!

I just pulled it apart, it fits like a glove, like it was made for it, insane!

I will post if this fails, but looks much easier than any other method i have seen, PLUS use up some spacers i wouldnt otherwise use.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

My shock spacer tranny fix is still going strong after 10 months and probably 10,000 "scale" miles LOL.
Zod Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #27

I havent had any clicking put I just put my crawler conversion and a novak brushless 13.5 in it. I took it outside set it down and the spur and pinion are spinning like hell and the truck is not moving. Its something in the tranny. I have 5 other RC's but none are set up like this. Is it that little gear with the spring on it? Will this fix work for it? Thanks.
jamesban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Yep-time for exploratory surgery! You have something stripped in there!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #29

There are no stripped out gears but I do not understand how this little spring doodad works. Are you supposed to be able to freely spin one side while holding the other side still? Is it time for me to buy some jbweld?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #30

There aren't any broken teeth on any of the gears? I dont understand how this little spring thingy works though. Should I drill holes in the slipper and screw it to the other disc or put some JBweld inbetween the two little gears with the spring in the middle or both?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Look closely at the parts-something isn't right. Post a pic of the parts if you can, maybe there's something you don't "see" there...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #32

Default Not Likely

Its not likely but make sure you didnt spin your outputs on your driveshafts. About forgot to put some set screws in one day and could only imagine having to buy new driveshafts for something that simple
blowingsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #33

I took apart the little 20 gear slipper deal with the spring and the inside of the gear and the slipper piece were ground down perfectly smooth. I put gorilla glue on them and then put 2 screws through them. Seems to be working fine.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Gorilla Glue. check.
WeeDeeForty. Check.
Baling Wire. Check.
Duct Tape. Check.
Vise Grips. Check.
Wife took the damned charge card. Check.

Great items to have about. The LAST one, surprisingly, can be the best variable:Cash stifles creativity (seen Ice Age2? -I want my two hours BACK.), and nothing is more permanent than a temporary repair.

Most would order the metal gear goodies, and be done with this. My hat's off to you for yanking it apart, analyzing the bits, understanding them, and making a reliable fix yourself.
ANYTHING can be fixed forever, given a will, and a way.

I would LOVE to spend a week in Cuba, just looking at jerry-rigged vehicles. They haven't had money OR part spares since I was fighting my brother for Cap'n Crunch toys. So much could be learned, from an engineering standpoint.

My old boss went to Freeking YALE, and MIT. Had the engineering degree, but poor Ritchie Rich, he NEVER, EVER, had to fix a broken car in his whole life. Simple machines stymied him for hours.

Me, however, grew up in Dogpatch, Washington. My SISTER can rebuild a smallblock Chevy, fer chrissakes, and she runs a Mini-Storage.

Oh yeah, some point to this.
Never be afraid to ask the online community for help, we ALL had a first time.
And don't be afraid to dissect things when they die.

It's how I've attained my own MIT degree: Mistakes I've Tried.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #35

Weird, you know how many times I have said Id like to visit cuba because guys machine all their own parts for old 50s american cars and bikes over there.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

...and stoves, and...

That's most of the fun of RC to me- the problem solving.
I remember my first Losi as ultimately boring- nothing would break!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

First off, as another poster said props for taking the joker apart and coming up with a fix for the slipper. Now, you can fix it from slipping but it's still plastic/nylon and it's going to strip eventually. Especially once you're locked, geared very low, 7+ cells, sticky tires, nasty terrain, and start playing hard. Yes, there will be SOME that go forever on non-metal gears but it's just that...SOME. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and be crawling longer rather than constantly fixing the same thing. I understand making your own frames, links, scale parts, and what not and too enjoy finding solutions to different problems but the fun ends when it's the same problem over and over and the most rational solution is stronger material. When I bought my CKRC aluminum gears last year they were ~$19 when the OEMs were ~$14 and they've lasted ~5 times longer. Do the math... Anyway, that's my good ole boy $0.02.
ClaySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:59 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Testimonial to WK tranny:

18v cordless drill drive.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #39

So I got some newbee Q's...just got mt first real crawler, its a F350 axled, Wheely King trannyed, Axial linked, Rooster/55T combo motored Bug...it has the metal gears in it, and a locked slipper. what should I use for a spur gear, one with a slipper like the Axial, or just a stock metal gear??? any help would be great, I am in Iraq and it takes 2 weeks to get parts, wish I had known this when I got this thing....Thank you
scottyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyrock View Post
So I got some newbee Q's...just got mt first real crawler, its a F350 axled, Wheely King trannyed, Axial linked, Rooster/55T combo motored Bug...it has the metal gears in it, and a locked slipper. what should I use for a spur gear, one with a slipper like the Axial, or just a stock metal gear??? any help would be great, I am in Iraq and it takes 2 weeks to get parts, wish I had known this when I got this thing....Thank you
My hat is off to your bravery, I've seen the Iraqi spiders...

Skip the slipper, go to the largest spur that will fit in the frame you have. Slippers in RC are best for racers on loose surfaces, crawlers need TOTAL axle control from the electric motor, with as little slop as possible.

Speaking of SLOP, I wonder if nitrile glove fingers over my dogbones will last in that capacity?

My truck has ridiculously LOW, 782:1 gearing. The slop stands out like CRAZY at low speeds!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qzPYG4qz8
Video of the cordless (hapless?) drill/WK tranny prototype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7pGKZzdFk
Video of it in the green John Deere chassis, doing some yard work.

Keep your pinion mesh in proper adjustment, and you won't be able to hurt much inside with STOCK gears!.

I won't bother with metal one$ for that reason. The internal slipper takes some force to overcome. If it slips, you're over-taxing a LOT of other parts you don't see. That's about where I back off and realize it's not a real bulldozer.