RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   HPI Wheely King (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/)
-   -   WK Tranny Fix (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/77508-wk-tranny-fix.html)

scottyrock 05-27-2009 04:34 AM

Thank you, the tranny has the metal gears all ready, so I am ordering a 96t spur ASAP......Thank you, this site ROCKS MY SOCKS OFF

skullking 01-09-2010 05:15 PM

Hey There, Just checking out the Post on this topic. I used to have a Wheely King and made it into a Crawler when they 1st came out. I do not remember any clicking noise. I need to go back and check my build thread on that. Anyway I just got a Crawler King to mess around with. I have the clicking noise. What is exactly Clicking. Will it hurt anything but your nerves??????????

killbucket 01-09-2010 05:31 PM

Necros are awesome, when they're for the right reason...

The clicking can go on forever, all it is is the ramps inside the clutch popping orver. It's in that gear pack that has the spiring in the middle.

ClaySlayer 01-11-2010 09:52 PM

or if you locked the slipper it's the smaller (top) gear in the tranny...and it's only a matter of time...even if you have the CKRC aluminum ones... I changed to a scale chassis a while back so I just bought a RC4WD R2 HD...problem solved! (I hope!)

brianw 03-25-2010 10:16 AM

I didn't come up with this idea...redrascal told me about it. In the WK trans you have a shaft that runs through the 15t gear. There is a spacer and a pin installed on the shaft to keep the gear in it's position.

To eliminate the slipper you can put the spacer under the 15t gear; drill a new hole for the pin, and then reinstall with the 15t gear on top of the spacer. The 15t gear now lines up with the upper gear in the slipper and the bottom gear is useless.

Lemonlegs28 06-11-2010 08:25 PM

this post just convinced me to buy the crawler king. thank you, JIA

fastharry 07-10-2010 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zod Rhombus (Post 1352541)
I simply removed the spring and replaced it with a shock spacer after I dremeled off the little "notch" part. Fit in there perfectly. I've been running it that way for about 4 months now with no problems....and no clicking!

what type of shock spacer?

killbucket 07-10-2010 06:34 AM

Those black plastic snap-in, "C" shaped things.

fastharry 07-10-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killbucket (Post 2537885)
Those black plastic snap-in, "C" shaped things.

Ok, thanks...

I was thinking shock shaft limiter on the inside shaft...

killbucket 07-10-2010 09:14 AM

http://www.air-sharp.com/drillking.htm
Have you seen what I did to MY WK?

bckbmpr84 09-11-2011 10:02 PM

wow, im very new to this but my wheely king has that clicking, this whole time i thought it was from the rear diff
thanks for all the info

snider937 12-20-2011 02:20 PM

Re: WK Tranny Fix

You might want to look into your rear diff. I thought mine was the trans. till I pulled it apart and did the slipper fix. put it all back together, went outside and the first rock I tried, the clicking started right up. So I pulled the rear diff. and sure enough, ring and pinion gears are stripped. My sons wk just started the clicking, so I'll be taking it apart tonight to fix his. Hope this helps

ClaySlayer 12-24-2011 07:55 PM

yeah I stripped a couple diffs before forking over the bones for the hardened version and haven't had a problem since...

m0nster 01-16-2012 05:39 PM

Another quick but not as cheap fix would be to replace the top 2 tranny gears with mod1 pinions.

15t up top uses its set screw to stay in place, the middle shaft was a bit more work. I got rid of the stock smaller shaft and replaced it with a 5mm final drive shaft from a t/e-maxx tranny cut down to size. Then a 22t pinion there. Tranny is super smooth and strong as hell. The big 28t might give up though. Then ill throw another mod1 pinion in its place too.

King James 01-16-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nster (Post 3510084)
Another quick but not as cheap fix would be to replace the top 2 tranny gears with mod1 pinions.

15t up top uses its set screw to stay in place, the middle shaft was a bit more work. I got rid of the stock smaller shaft and replaced it with a 5mm final drive shaft from a t/e-maxx tranny cut down to size. Then a 22t pinion there. Tranny is super smooth and strong as hell. The big 28t might give up though. Then ill throw another mod1 pinion in its place too.

Could you post some pics or models numbers, I'm wanting to upgrade my trans

wyd 05-12-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snider937 (Post 3458232)
You might want to look into your rear diff. I thought mine was the trans. till I pulled it apart and did the slipper fix. put it all back together, went outside and the first rock I tried, the clicking started right up. So I pulled the rear diff. and sure enough, ring and pinion gears are stripped. My sons wk just started the clicking, so I'll be taking it apart tonight to fix his. Hope this helps

Exactly what happened to mine. I fixed the slipper setup and it ends up clicking in the rear axle. I don't have 2 minutes of run time on this thing and they stripped already.

It made the clicking right out of the box on flat level ground. How can the rear gears in the axles strip so easily. Did HPI even test thing out at all.:shock:

SoDak68 07-06-2012 09:18 PM

Nice tip. I'll ive it a shot this weekend.

monturacer3 02-10-2014 09:25 PM

Is it possible to put a standard slipper clutch assembly in the transmission? I've only pulled mine apart to grease it up and don't really remember what the insides look like, so I wouldn't know what could possibly fit.

toweringxj 05-18-2015 07:27 AM

So here is how I fixed my trans. I took the middle gear out, took the spring out, grabbed the parts bag from my wheely king. Then I took the extra shock spring spacers and slid 3 of them in. If you look close you'll notice some are thicker than others. I used one thick one and 2 thin ones. Then i put it back together. So far it works great. Only did it this morning though. I did cut the little nubs off with pliers. "thumbsup"

powder4breakfast 11-06-2017 03:05 PM

https://youtu.be/VVmawcu9ZtQ

I took apart the tranny as well as the diffs. Nothing looks out of place. I did notice a touch of metal shavings in the diffs. Nonetheless, the teeth look fine with plenty of mesh. The tranny gears all look good with plenty of mesh. I also tried a different motor just because someone else said he thought it sounded like a motor... it wasn't.

Before I start throwing money at this just to get it ready to sell... Can anyone recognize the clicking and give an opinion if you feel it needs the tranny fix (slipper eliminate) or if it sounds more like diffs etc?