Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: shave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default shave

can u shave the axles 4 more clearance
redjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #2

i used my dremel and sanded off the screw holes on the bottom of the pumpkins (on the back side). and when i turned my c clams upside down i just shaved off the old shock mounts......
BCV6SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just dont see the point. If you are that worried about getting hung up on rocks or whatever, build a skid plate that would allow the axles to slide over the obstacles.
tsaun987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

never thought of that!! oh........ any pics of the shave?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaun987 View Post
I just dont see the point. If you are that worried about getting hung up on rocks or whatever, build a skid plate that would allow the axles to slide over the obstacles.
redjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

im sure if you leave the bottom holes in the axels , that would be a great place to bolt up some skids without any sanding or dremal work... my choice is to take a line that you dont get hung up on..!! lol
blakeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

yea i would sugest making some steel skid plates.. 1.) becuase it would add more low weight and 2.) becuase it slides much better than aluminum. I have seen some people make them out of platic cutting boards and such but for me they are too thick and ugly.
badtoy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
20K Club

Any front skid plate is ugly. They are not needed on these axles really. You can shave to little nubs off the back side if you want, it will help most on the rear axle.

Other then that I would just cut the ears off the link clamps after you rotate them (front side only).

Pick a good line, you will be better off without the skid plate.

Last edited by Harley; 07-11-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

mine are shaving themselves lol
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Same here. I did make a small aluminum skid for my front axle, I have to get pictures of it, but it was fairly simple. I just bent a piece to wrap around the bottom and up the front and back, used the 2 bottom screws on the front and back to attach it, it only protects the center of the axle(the diff) but I didn't think the plastic was going to last to long the way I drive ...
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I dremeled the whole "pumpkin" area and gound off the lower screw mount to gain clearance. The diffs still hang down too far, but that is more because the axles are so wide. My truck is built for comps, so the LAST thing i would do is reduce what limited diff clearance i have with some silly looking, and ineffective skid. Axles are meant to be scratched+gouged
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

To answer the original question: Yes, you can shave here and there to gain clearance. What you need to consider is whether the tiny bit of clearance your going to gain is REALLY worth the trouble of shaving.
SpyderMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
the LAST thing i would do is reduce what limited diff clearance i have with some silly looking, and ineffective skid. Axles are meant to be scratched+gouged
The skid I made is out of very thin aluminum, it doesn't conform to every curve of the diff but it doesn't take away more than a few mm's of clearance..
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post

SAme here too I have been thinking about Dremeling the screw holes on the back side of the axles though.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #14
RCC Addict

[quote=SpyderMonkee;765428. What you need to consider is whether the tiny bit of clearance your going to gain is REALLY worth the trouble of shaving.[/quote]

Im not sure what "trouble" it is to shave an axle. About 10 minutes worth of dremeling (for both axles) to gain a far smoother axle is a no brainer, even if you dont compete. Besides, new axle cases are what, like $12?
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

As soon as my 2nd WK gets here, I am going to do a "mohawk" shave like we do on 1:1's axles, Basically cut the excess gear case away and box it back in leaving a mohawk for the ring gear.

The axles are going to have a BMVii Style chassis, lay down stock trans, Crawlmaster... yeah, I'm pretty excited, especially considering how well my stock chassis'd King does!
TBItoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

well the other thing you could do too is to shave it down and apply a thin layer of jb weld to the bottom of the housings. This will not increase ground clearance but will make them slicker and tougher.
badtoy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
20K Club

I think you guys are missing a pretty major factor though. These gear case are not thick, and the plastic is fairly soft. You can see some major rock gouges after a single run. These aren't any TLT case with weird arse shapes and excess hanging everywhere. These cases are fairly bare bones as it. I think shaving the nubs off the bottom is a good idea and it does help out. The other thing that has helped myself is using jewlers rouge (sp?) it is a polishing paste. I wet sand the cases to get rid of the texture as much as possible then use the paste to get them smooth. I have just done this to my second WK project, I will do it to my blue tuber next. It is the equivalant of waxing your surf board (not quite as noticable but same concept).

The biggest advantage to all of us will be when the new link mounts are released so we can get rid of these freaking mamoth clamps.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
any skid IMHO is a waste of time and effort, you just loose additional clearance and still will have just additional edges to catch up on, you can shave a ton off of the axles.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I simply said that if he was that concerned, he could do that. Would i put one under mine? No. Also, i must disagree. Only if done incorrectly would a skid get hung up on something. Mold it to the bottome of the pumpkin somehow (dont ask me), what would that make you lose a couple mm of ground clearance? BOOHOO!!!
I love people who give recommendations on things they have no clue about

When you actually know how to make what you recommend come post again OK?
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote