RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   HPI Wheely King (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/)
-   -   Pinion Bearing Walk? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/82321-pinion-bearing-walk.html)

sickfab 08-23-2007 07:07 AM

Pinion Bearing Walk?

Hey guys,
Just built a tuber and the pinion bearing seems to walk out of the axles a bit after use. Is this normal?

John.

kurt 08-23-2007 08:20 AM

i haven't experienced that

rockwerks 08-23-2007 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickfab (Post 818622)
Hey guys,
Just built a tuber and the pinion bearing seems to walk out of the axles a bit after use. Is this normal?

John.

not mine. maybe your missing a clip?

kdubb88 08-23-2007 08:53 AM

Mine did.

I noticed that with mine, or both of mine. I found that the stock aarrangement of shims was to little. There was alot of play with the pinion shaft. I took apart the axle, popped the c-clip off, removes the pinion gear, and placed two more shim washers on the shaft and then reassembled. This took up the play in the shaft area and helps seat the bearing in it holder. Also it helps ring and pinion gear mesh.

mattrichter 08-23-2007 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
same thing with both my axles.. it only walked out like 2mm, but it bugged me, so i put 1 small orings between the driveshaft and bearing..

not only does it keep the bearing in the proper spot, but it keeps the crap from wrapping around the pinion shaft when i'm running trails..

heres a picture where you can see the small oring..

A_Jeeper 08-23-2007 05:01 PM

I have been having the same problem too.

Natedog 08-23-2007 09:38 PM

Shim it properly.

floogldood 08-24-2007 01:25 AM

both mine are coming out, the o-ring looks like a nice cheap easy fix.

frdtrkguy 08-24-2007 11:13 PM

Mine have always "walked out" just a little and it never really bothered me but this o-ring trick looks good and i think ill give it a shot. Thanks:)

mattrichter 08-28-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 819773)
Shim it properly.

what are you talking about?? proper shimming is going to keep the outer bearing from walking out??

please read the posts carefully before typing :flipoff:

sickfab 08-29-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattrichter (Post 827115)
what are you talking about?? proper shimming is going to keep the outer bearing from walking out??

please read the posts carefully before typing :flipoff:

Actually he is right. I checked it out on my deal, and that was it...

JIA's Dad 08-29-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 819773)
Shim it properly.

Shimming on the inside properly, moving the drive shaft in towards the axle should take up most of the space that you guys are trying to fill with the O ring. My bearings stay in place in this instance. Axle tube bearings at the end of the axle different story. Mine have crawled out a little. It runs who cares, they can't get out. Either way!!!:D

sickfab 08-29-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIA's Dad (Post 827976)
Shimming on the inside properly, moving the drive shaft in towards the axle should take up most of the space that you guys are trying to fill with the O ring. My bearings stay in place in this instance. Axle tube bearings at the end of the axle different story. Mine have crawled out a little. It runs who cares, they can't get out. Either way!!!:D

Yeah, the o-ring trick didnt work in my case. The whole assembly walked out, o-ring and all. My situation was due to an improperly shimmed pinion gear.

John.