Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: My Dremel tool attacked my WK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My Dremel tool attacked my WK

While I await funding for a crawler chassis or the materials to build one, I decided to let my trusty Dremel tool go to work on my WK chassis. My motivation was being able to move the battery directly over the front axle to improve my traction.

SalManilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Can you get a shot of the battery mount with the battery off?
Usmc8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc8541 View Post
Can you get a shot of the battery mount with the battery off?
I'll do that a little later, I have to take the kids to school right now.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Detailed please, I would like to copy this.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #5

Nice work,looks good..Just got done extending my WK,now working on the steering servo relocation........
Lt1M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Okay here we go. Keep in mind that this is all in the design phase. I have some aluminum stock that I plan to use once I get everything worked out.

I started be making a post to fit in the steerning arm hole. I simply cut in from a piece of the old upper arms.

Inserted a screw into it and cut it off. Post threads into the axle housing.

I'll use a longer plate when I finish it out. I threw all this together in a whirlwind before bed last night. I needed to clear my mind and the only way to do it was to fabricate something and see if it was possible. The plate simply rests on top of the steering servo using servo tape, and is screwed down to the post I made. The battery is then held in place with zip ties and a small piece of servo tape.

I cut the ends off the battery tray to make chassis supports.

The upper support in this picture was made by cutting down the wheely bar.

Hope this helps. I have to run my father-in-law over to the barber. I'll check back later to see if there are anymore questions.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

That's a great way to get the Batt. wieght up the front. Without loosing flex even! Great idea!!!! Might have to do this myself to hold me over till I get my Tuber chassis finished.
shierkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Sal, I will have to try that.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Those are some great mods!!

I would be interested in hearing how you like it once you have had a chance to get confortable with the new setup. The one problem I have is how bulky the front axle is with the battery on it. I tend to lean to the minimalist side of modification, but if it improves performance beyond belief, then I too will strap that big ol'thing to the front.

Thanks for sharing your pics and suggestions
duleonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I just got back from trying it out. I am very happy with the performance. In my rush to get out of the house I forgot the camera. I'll have to get pictures later. I am going to get started on a permanent setup using some aluminum. Nice thing is that I will be able to transfer it over to a custom chassis no problem.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Your mount looks something like one I fabbed up back in July. Putting the battery right over the front axles does wonders for traction and your CG.

Here's a few pics:

SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
Your mount looks something like one I fabbed up back in July. Putting the battery right over the front axles does wonders for traction and your CG.

Here's a few pics:

That's a beauty! Have you tried turning the battery 90 degrees along the top of th upper link?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Natedog:

Do you mean like this? I built the one below first but decided that I wanted the battery parallel to the axle to put the weight further forward. I only tried it once or twice (not even crawling) and I still have it in my toolbox and may pop it back on some day to try it again

(I hope I haven't hijacked this thread)

Old 09-13-2007, 07:13 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Here's a few pics:

I am actually planning on using your design when I start fabricating a chassis. For now I wanted to see what I could do without spending any money and using what I had sitting around in the garage.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

SalManilla:

The one thing I would watch with this design is the reliance on the steering bellcrank mount/top stay bracket as the attachment point for your new battery mount. These brackets are pretty flimsy and the screws holding them to the diff case are pretty soft - I've sheared off the heads of two already and this was just under the normal strain of the top stays and not with the added weight/strain of holding a fairly heavy battery in place. I could be wrong but it looks like in the picture that you are, indeed, using the stock ballcrank mount, right?

To be safe, I've replaced my stock top stay brackets with ones fabbed out of 1/8 aluminum. As they bolt to four holes on the rear of the diff case, these babies ain't moving, that's for sure.

My new motto is "Breakage is good because it often leads to improvement"

By the way, my Dremel tool has it in for my WK as well. My chassis and body have been hacked, chopped, mutilated etc etc as well. At some point I'll make a custom but for now I'll just keep on cuttin!!!

Cheers,
Sean

Last edited by SeanD; 09-13-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
SalManilla:

This is also a perfectly good excuse to explain to the wife why you MUST rebuild the WK for the 3rd time.
sharpe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Natedog:

Do you mean like this? I built the one below first but decided that I wanted the battery parallel to the axle to put the weight further forward. I only tried it once or twice (not even crawling) and I still have it in my toolbox and may pop it back on some day to try it again...
Yes, just like that!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
SalManilla:

The one thing I would watch with this design is the reliance on the steering bellcrank mount/top stay bracket as the attachment point for your new battery mount. These brackets are pretty flimsy and the screws holding them to the diff case are pretty soft - I've sheared off the heads of two already and this was just under the normal strain of the top stays and not with the added weight/strain of holding a fairly heavy battery in place. I could be wrong but it looks like in the picture that you are, indeed, using the stock ballcrank mount, right?

To be safe, I've replaced my stock top stay brackets with ones fabbed out of 1/8 aluminum. As they bolt to four holes on the rear of the diff case, these babies ain't moving, that's for sure.

By the way, my Dremel tool has it in for my WK as well. My chassis and body have been hacked, chopped, mutilated etc etc as well. At some point I'll make a custom but for now I'll just keep on cuttin!!!

Cheers,
Sean

Point well taken. After playing around with it more this morning I can see that it isn't a very strong option. The servo takes most of the stress and basically the servo tape is the only thing holding it down. I think I'll stop by the store today for some aluminum and fab a "hammerhead" mount, and possibly some top stay brackets.

I'm not so sure that I need to be in such a rush to make a custom chassis after all. I'm enjoying modding this one.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Natedog:

(I hope I haven't hijacked this thread)
Naaaa! The exchange of ideas is what the forum is all about. A posted thread is public domain and open to all.

Thanks for your input.