Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: 4 wheel steer wk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 03:10 AM   #1

Default 4 wheel steer wk

just been looking at making my crawler 4 wheel steer,was woundering since the parts on the wk are pretty much the same if you can just add the servo link to the the rear wheels to make it steer them??? or has any one done something like it to the standard chassis.

i was thinking bout putting an extra servo in behind the factory one cos theres abit of room in there to put one then get the factory steering links that run down the chassis to put one the other side.cos the steering links would have to pivot in different directions for it to steer properly...

any ideas with still keeping the factory chassis set up???
kiwi trasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

This has been discussed quite a bit on this board. I think you will be getting a fair number of people telling you to use the SEARCH button.

But just to be a bit helpful :

To add 4WS all you you will need - a servo, axle servo mount, steering links and either a three channel TX/RX or the steering computer (PRCSC) by Punk Rock Crawling.

I added 4WS to mine using the ultra cheap but torquey(?) Towerpro MG945 servo, I fabbed the mount out of 1/8 aluminum using the template found on this site, steering links from brakelines, threaded rods and traxxas ends and a Traxxas TQ3 TX/RX with the third channel switch replaced with a momentary on-off-on rocker. You will find all the instruction on how to do this here in this board.

Here's the servo mounted:

Here's the new switch on the TX:

Rear wheel steering is activated by the new rocker switch. This switch returns to centre when released. Its a very simple system and once you get used to using that extra switch, 4WS becomes intuitive.

Cheers and good luck,

Sean

P.s. - now use the Search function!
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

okay I'll say it: Use the search button...

but yes, what SeanD said is the best way to go. I put 4WS on my WK a while ago, and it's quite simple. I highly suggest an axle mounted servo (front AND rear). It's makes your steering response light years better than stock.

You do have a few options with the electronics setup. You can use your stock Tx, but you'll need a Y harness to connect the servos. The problem here is that you won't have independant controll of your f/r steering. Most of the time, you DON'T want your rear wheels to turn, it can push you off line, so having the ability to switch 4WS on/off or having a mixing control will be a big advantage.

Look into the TQ3 controller - ~$60-$70 (you can easily mod the 3rd channel to have 3 positions for left/center/right for the rear steering) or the Futaba 3PM (~$100) is a great choice for a cheap computer programmable radio. You can program it so the rear wheels steer the same direction (for tight turns) or crab, or you can turn it off all together for regular 2 wheel steering. 4 channel stick radios are an option too, but I think harder to control.

cheers,
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I had a Futaba attack around so I'm using that right now. Kinda wierd at first having total control on each end but reverses don't suck as much now! Think I might put dig on the 4th channel soon
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #5

sweet cheers for the info,its quite hard down here in nz finding parts to do some of the mods been in little old new zealand and the fact it not a big thing down here so thanks for the help
kiwi trasher is offline   Reply With Quote