Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: are the stock shocks any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default are the stock shocks any good?

well i was looking to get some cheap shocks with a ball end on the cap and i knew hpi had some like this and i saw the wk stock shocks and liked how their cap is a one piece design (versus the two piece design on the mt shocks). i also like how they come with 100wt shock fluid. and they are $16 a pair which isn't that bad. but are they any good? i'm sure they aren't going to be as smooth as like a big bore or losi but compared to other plastic bodied shocks near $15. lets hear the opinions.

Last edited by RCMFMaxxMan; 10-23-2007 at 11:47 PM.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have a stock WK right now, and after running 4-5 battery packs through it, they are really starting to loosen up, especially the rear because of the battery wieght. The stock flex seems to be ok, but I donno how they would perform on an anctual crawler.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Dont pay money for those shocks.. They leak and the shock caps pop off easily.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

^^ditto...I had problems with the caps not sealing well and they leak...and the caps do tend to pop threads, which leads to more leaking.

IMO, spend a bit more and get a better shock. The Evader shocks seem to be very nice, and alot of people are running them these days.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'll third that! My caps leaked somethin' fierce and made a BIG mess. First it was the shafts so I inverted them, then the caps popped. Get yourself some aluminum shocks.
SalManilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

okay, I'll forth that...

My stock shocks leak, and the caps have popped off a few times. Once I completely destroy them, I'm getting these:

http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...79/4462034.htm

they are the same length as the stock ones (120mm I think), so installing them should be no problem.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yea they're good for nothing. I don't personally own a WK but one of my bros does and he spent more time splilling the shock oil on the rocks from the caps popping off or leaking past the seals then he actually did crawling it. I think he got a hold of some aftermarket savage shocks then did the "adding fuel tubing to the shock shaft inside the shock body to get the correct length" trick. Might be worth a try.
pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

In a word - "no". - My caps keep popping and the threads leak a lot as well.

Last edited by SeanD; 10-25-2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: elaborated on rather short response
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #9

i bash the hell outta my flipped chassis wk and haven't had a problem with my shocks
(knock on wood :-()
dabigpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
RCC Addict

alright thanks guys. i actually already have evaders but i was just looking for something affordable that has the ball in the cap. those jp custom ones aren't too bad though. i might have to look into those. i also saw rc4wd has some similarly priced internal spring shocks with the ball for the bruiser/mountainier that might be good.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #11

if any of you guys dont want your stock wheely king shocks beacause they leak.. i would be glad to take them off your hands..i needs some for my stock wheely king that i purchased that didnt come with shocks
ON THE ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
ghetto fabulous newbie

Has anybody tried XTM mammoth st shocks, i think there about the same size,a little longer.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #13
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

A little longer? If they are longer, then it's possible that they will be too long. The WK shocks are already too long for most applications.

EDIT: Just did a search for Mammoth shocks...and they come in at 150mm...nearly 6 inches...way too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
Has anybody tried XTM mammoth st shocks, i think there about the same size,a little longer.

Last edited by Offroader5; 11-04-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

If you are fond of the ball in the cap mounting of the stock WK shocks try this. Take any metel capped shock and cut the mounting loop off flush with the shock cap then, drill a hole on the cap and bolt your favorite rod end to it from inside. I have done this on a prior build and it worked great and allowed for easier shock mounting. You may need to use a shorter shock though because the rodend will add to the overall shock length.. Just a thought....
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

That's a pretty good idea. I think I am going to have to cannibalize one of my Yeah Racing aluminum shocks and try that with a Revo rod end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
If you are fond of the ball in the cap mounting of the stock WK shocks try this. Take any metel capped shock and cut the mounting loop off flush with the shock cap then, drill a hole on the cap and bolt your favorite rod end to it from inside. I have done this on a prior build and it worked great and allowed for easier shock mounting. You may need to use a shorter shock though because the rodend will add to the overall shock length.. Just a thought....
Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #16
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
A little longer? If they are longer, then it's possible that they will be too long. The WK shocks are already too long for most applications.

EDIT: Just did a search for Mammoth shocks...and they come in at 150mm...nearly 6 inches...way too long.
133mm mammoth ST shocks. i think there 133mm end to end so about 123mm eye to eye.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #17
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
133mm mammoth ST shocks. i think there 133mm end to end so about 123mm eye to eye.
Ahh, yes...the 150mm are for the Monster Mammoth not the truggy.

123mm is still very long for most builds. IMO, anything over 4.5" (~115mm) is getting in the "too long" territory, unless your putting shocks on a Savage
Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I beat the heck out of my WK... tumbleing 30ft+ down a face several SEVERAL times and i have never had a problem.. Heck from the outside in i have 16guage STEEL that i have my links and shocks attatched to... i have bent those before damaging my shocks
Kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I've saw people use HPI MT shocks before.
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote