Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Shock oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock oil

Today I blew two shock caps on my Whely King and lost all my oil. What would be some good weight of oil to start with?
LST022752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What were you doing to blow the caps? I have been bashing mine since it arrived and have yet to break anything other than the power switch.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
What were you doing to blow the caps? I have been bashing mine since it arrived and have yet to break anything other than the power switch.
I was crawling on a 6 foot pile of rocks and I made a wrong move and it fell and hit some concrete steps. I was surprised that was all that happened.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have used 70 and 80 wt oil on my WK, and the later has more tendency to blow the cap off even if you push the shock forcefully by hand..What i did was not to over tighten the caps just enough to seal it, because i found out that if you over tighten it, the cap will simply pop off..I build three WKs already, ol have these problem..my fix is to put an aluminum collar on the cap similar in design to those spring retainers in buggie at stadium truck, which jas a screw which you tighten to hold to set the preload on a shock..
Edward531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward531 View Post
I have used 70 and 80 wt oil on my WK, and the later has more tendency to blow the cap off even if you push the shock forcefully by hand..What i did was not to over tighten the caps just enough to seal it, because i found out that if you over tighten it, the cap will simply pop off..I build three WKs already, ol have these problem..my fix is to put an aluminum collar on the cap similar in design to those spring retainers in buggie at stadium truck, which jas a screw which you tighten to hold to set the preload on a shock..
Are you running a droop set up? That seems pretty thick.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I haven't tried it, but i've been thinking of using an automotive oil treatment for my shock oil. You know the stuff that is really thick.

Thoughts??
duleonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #7

I had the same problem with the stock WK shock, I used some teflon tape on the threads and havent had the issue again.
WKRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Duleonar:

I was running Wynn's Engine Stop Leak in my stock shocks for a number of months. It made them very stiff - which is what I wanted because I had bad torque twist. I really liked how it helped the wheels float better over holes and drops.

I am not sure if there was a connection, but last going off my shock caps were always leaking. I did manage to use them for several months without leakage, though, and I liked how they worked. Not sure what others would say though!

Sean
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I ended up getting 20wt.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Here is a set of shocks that are supposedly the exact same length. I'm gonna use them on my wheely king build. I'm probably gonna use 40,45,or 50 weight oil. Here is the link to the shocks.

http://www.jpcustomrcs.atomicshops.c...79/4462034.htm
countryboy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKRYAN View Post
I had the same problem with the stock WK shock, I used some teflon tape on the threads and havent had the issue again.
Forget what I said, I relocated my shocks to get a better center of gravity and off came both right shock caps this weekend while I was running it. I Just need to get away from plastic shocks.
WKRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #12

i didnt have any shock oil around so i just used 30 weight motor oil, but ill probably be getting some taller shocks for ground clearance so the motor oil is just temporary.
porkchop70 is offline   Reply With Quote