Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Maverick W.K. Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #21
RCC Addict

the durability of CF is not the question, my only concern stems from years of mountain bikes and cracks=failure. In the rc world it works great and time will tell so keep us updated if you put some time in driving it but once again that thing is gorgeous. have a good day
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Tarrin: Not sure on the overall weight? Carbon is lighter than aluminum, for sure ... But, about the same as the plastic (just much stiffer). It allows for the overall C.O.G. to be lower on the truck.

Xgerstandtx: Yeah, I hear ya. I ride MTB's too and don't use carbon there ... But, my next road bike will be carbon! I will keep you guys posted. Have a great day too!
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #23

Cool, do you see a considerable advantage over the stock W.K. chassis?, Besides rigidiy and weight.
Tarrin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Tarrin: You know, one day I just took a W.K. out of the box and started building it up. I had almost completed three other versions (nothing this trick) but customers talked me out of them before they were finished. This one I kept upstairs at the shop, and just tinkered on it until it was complete .... Well, as complete as any crawler can be at any one stage in it's life (I've got changes I want to do already!).

My biggest problem is time ... I pull 6 days a week at the hobby shop, have a full family life, and it leaves little time for crawling with the short daylight hours. My wife says I'm a totally dedicated, really into it, crawler guy who never gets to drive!

Anyway, I have no comparison driving the stock chassis against this one ... I'll be wheeling with some buddies soon and we'll see how it goes. I've been tweaking the shocks, but I'm not happy so far. I've got one set with internal springs and I'm building another without for a comparison.

Jake
Old 11-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH Racing View Post
Tarrin: You know, one day I just took a W.K. out of the box and started building it up. I had almost completed three other versions (nothing this trick) but customers talked me out of them before they were finished. This one I kept upstairs at the shop, and just tinkered on it until it was complete .... Well, as complete as any crawler can be at any one stage in it's life (I've got changes I want to do already!).

My biggest problem is time ... I pull 6 days a week at the hobby shop, have a full family life, and it leaves little time for crawling with the short daylight hours. My wife says I'm a totally dedicated, really into it, crawler guy who never gets to drive!

Anyway, I have no comparison driving the stock chassis against this one ... I'll be wheeling with some buddies soon and we'll see how it goes. I've been tweaking the shocks, but I'm not happy so far. I've got one set with internal springs and I'm building another without for a comparison.

Jake

Well keep me posted, i'd really like to see where this goes. And btw how much does Carbon Fiber cost anyways? I mean like per Sq. Ft.
Tarrin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH Racing View Post
CJW: Thanks! Yes, they are for the Axial 2.2 rims. I need to do a little more testing, and figure out pricing. I'll keep ya posted!

Juststartin: Check out the pic below. it's a different design. .
Those look great! Nice lookin WK too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Well, I finally got a chance to wheel my crawler today! Took it out the a comp and really had a good time. Yep, first time driving it was at a comp. Without have any wheel time, I really sucked at the driving, but the rig did really well. No breakage! It went places I didn't think it could and my driving kept it from going places it should have gone.

I posted some pics from the comp here:
http://www.jphracing.com/2007_Bean_H...awler_Comp.cfm

Also, because of the rocks at this comp, I switched the rig to a sprung set up for belly height. The geometry isn't right for the spings, but I decided to change it the evening before the event! I also changed the body to one of the new Losi Grappler's. This body is awesome! Here's some new pics of the changes and a few close ups of the motor mount and front end wear and tear.

Lastly, the carbon fiber held up great. These rocks were crazy and I drug the bottom more than a few times. Fun stuff!
Attached Images

Last edited by JPH Racing; 12-01-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #28

that's an awsome rig! it looks good, and i bet it drives good.

bye
wheely-king is offline   Reply With Quote