Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Stretching Wheelbase-front and back lengths

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Stretching Wheelbase-front and back lengths

I am planning out to stretch my WK wheelbase to 12.5". Gonna Fit a Pro-line 1980's longbed pickup on it.
I was wondering if most of you lengthen both the lower links to the same length or make one longer than the other? I was thinking of making the back links much longer than the front so to put more weight towards the center and front of the body. Its gonna be mainly a basher/trail truck with occasional crawling. I decided to keep it in stock form in that I won't be flipping the chassis around.
Sasquatchbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 04:40 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Usaully you split it even, but some people do a 60-40 and have the back links longer. For the lenghts use the sizes about half way down the page http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2007061801.html.
LST022752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Mine lowers are ~ 145mm rear and 127mm front (eye to eye) and I'm happy with the way it handles.

I didn't want to flip my chassis either but for crawling I do set the battery up in the front using velcro & rubber bands. With the way I have it setup the suspension bottoms out just before the front upper Y-link hits the battery. You can get an idea from the pics on my website
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Worked on it late last night and managed to get the back stretched...phew...this was the first time I had my hands on a hobby grade RC Car...fun stuff.
I cut the back lower links to 4.5inches+Traxxas ball ends and that stretched the over all wheelbase to 11" now.
So next when I work on the front links I might just go with 4 inches of aluminum rods...Since we are on the subject of wheelbase, is it measured when the car is standing on its own weight(links at an angle) or when the suspensions are pushed down to the point where the links are more horizontal to the ground?
I think I will stick with 12" wheelbase and if I want longer I can always flip the link mounts on the axle.
I tested the car last night and it can no longer do wheelies, but it kept raising its Front Left tire! I read about this in the HPI crawler conversion thread. Whats the solution to this?

Lastly, after I stretch my wheelbase to 12" can it still be a basher truck and handle well? I am thinking of building an optional stabilizing cross bar for the back lower links just like the Stock WK one but with aluminum.
Sasquatchbagger is offline   Reply With Quote