Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Limit straps?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Limit straps?

So I was thinking of using some on my wk to lower it just a little for the cg for a comp coming up, since I suspect ground clearance won't be as much of an issue as it is with my everyday trailrunning. (It'll be a lot of way off camber stuff I'm pretty sure) So what do you guys use, or recommend using? thanks
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I've used zip ties. 1 in the middle seems to work the best it'll suck the suspension down, but still allow full flex.
clemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Just get shorter shocks. You only use limiting straps for stopping the excessive downward travel, not to adjust suspension height.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I trimmed the springs on mine front & rear. I took off about 2 turns, if that makes sense. Now it sits lower but still has all the droop it did before

Last edited by Locked Up; 11-29-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

You can start by removing the coil shocks spacers, that will bring it down a bit, without damaging anything.
Maybe not enough for U...
Filibuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks I more or less like how it works now, it's got about 1/2" of sag front & rear. I was thinking of just limiting the middle a little bit to make sure it doesn't extend too much & keep the cg a little lower but still allow full flex? I've thought about cutting a little off the springs but don't you have to attach them somehow to the keeper on the shock to keep them from getting all cockeyed since now they're too short for the shock body:-(?
tim the toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim the toolman View Post
Thanks I more or less like how it works now, it's got about 1/2" of sag front & rear. I was thinking of just limiting the middle a little bit to make sure it doesn't extend too much & keep the cg a little lower but still allow full flex? I've thought about cutting a little off the springs but don't you have to attach them somehow to the keeper on the shock to keep them from getting all cockeyed since now they're too short for the shock body:-(?
Nope. After I cut them (it doesn't show in the pic) I just flipped them the other way so the cut part is at the top. Because the body is nice and thick the spring won't get cockeyed. I suppose if you cut off too much that may be an issue but you'd have to cut off alot. You could also cut the spring and bend the end so that it makes a nice circle again... all just depends on the time you want to spend on it.

The 1 center limiting strap might work to not allow full droop, but you said your issue is more about ride height. If you run the center limit strap and compress your suspension (lowering ride height) you won't have ANY axle droop, just flex. So essentially when you jump off something your suspension won't cycle down. That may not seem like a problem but if you think about driving over a bumpy road and your suspension keeps getting limited like that, your tires will keep losing contact and you won't be able to steer as well.

I'd say either shorten the springs or get shorter shocks (and springs) and sacrifice some flex. For me, the free, full flex option seemed the way to go.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I say just ditch the springs and run full droop with a centered limiter :-P
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote