Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Anyone running WK in the snow/ice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone running WK in the snow/ice?

Do a lot of you guys run your WK in the snow? I did a test run and my son liked it a lot. I didn't waterproof my electronics so the only thing I did was wrap around the chassis(covering the servo, receiver, motor, esc) with some clear stretch wrap to prevent moisture from kicking into the eletronics.
It didn't touch the esc cause of the roll bar protecting the motor. I might do the real waterproofing later.
After running it in snow, what parts to you guys take apart to clean and dry? Are there any parts on the stock WK that will rust or has rusted on some of your WKs?
Sasquatchbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

no snow yet
I have driven mine in water

SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Wow thats a nic pic! I like the white wheels!!!
So when you finish at the end of the day do you take apart parts and clean and dry them? Whats the procedure?
We have ice in our front and everywhere that there was grass and snow is now ICE! so I was thinking of doing some ice drifting
Old 12-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

dry off anything steel....bearings screws....
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Do you take apart the axle housing? I remember cleaning my Nylint with just a toothbrush and water and it got into the axle housing...not sure how tight the seams on a WK axlw housing is...but it sure would seep in from the axles....wonder if I grease it heavily it would prevent water getting in?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

well I screwed over a nice servo cause I didn't brush any water off of it. But one thing that I would be careful with is the differentials. Cause if they are not locked, any dirt or grit will destroy the gears if you don't take them out. You don't have this problem with a locked axle because those gears aren't spinning.
newpinesap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #7

i've water proofed my electronics and servos (syrenge filled with dielectric grease and go nuts) and drive it in the snow all the time. i admit its alot of fun. i usually let it drip dry altho i have a feeling i'm gonna have to replace some bearings come spring lol oh well.... i have some post pics of the truck some place i'll have to dig up
dabigpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I might just plastidip all my cases-esc, servo and receiver. For the servo hole I'd probably just put grease over it...and as for the esc and receiver I think I am just gonna cut some clear plastic lexan and cover around it....as I don't plan on running it in water or mud...and it'll probably snow for only a couple of months...
Now to think of it I may make some snow chains for em too...
Old 12-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #9

i studded my stock wheels with some shoe cobbler nail things.... they've since warn off, and now i'm thinking about making up some chains because i'm too lazy to go threw the hell of pulling the tires off again....:neutral:
dabigpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wow thats a nic pic! I like the white wheels!!!
So when you finish at the end of the day do you take apart parts and clean and dry them? Whats the procedure?
that would be the correct way to do it
(I left it next to a radiator over night)
Here is a better pic so you can see the white wheels
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

you shouldn't have to worry about the servo, most are pretty well sealed to begin with. The only thing you need to really worry about is the ESC and the rx. I found a plastic box that held a K&B carb for my old .45 plane engine. It fit the esc and rx perfectly, so I cut a hole in the top, and shoved everything inside. It works pretty well right now as a "water resistant" box, but if I ever want to go swimming with it I'd have to seal the hole with silicone or something. Just be aware of heat build up from the ESC, but I've got a 55T motor and stock esc, and so far no problems overheating, and if you're running in snow, it's safe to say it's pretty cold anyway!

just be sure to dry everything off before you put it away. then make sure all the bearings stay greased.
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote