Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Idaho

Notices

Thread: New to crawling Cpl of questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default New to crawling Cpl of questions.

Hey hows it going? I live in Boise and am looking to get into crawling. I am stck between getting a Berg rolling chasis or the Venom kit. I was wondering what kind of rigs your guys are running and what tire setups you are also running. One the thing where is that city of rocks located at? And one more thing what rc shops do you recomend for crawling rigs and parts are around here. Thanks and look forward to maybe getting together for a gtg when I am in town sometime.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisetrucker View Post
Hey hows it going? I live in Boise and am looking to get into crawling. I am stck between getting a Berg rolling chasis or the Venom kit. I was wondering what kind of rigs your guys are running and what tire setups you are also running. One the thing where is that city of rocks located at? And one more thing what rc shops do you recomend for crawling rigs and parts are around here. Thanks and look forward to maybe getting together for a gtg when I am in town sometime.
we have a gtg planned for the 7th of feb. at table rock in boise. You could come check out our rigs there. Most people in the club are running axial. A few are running The berg set up. Or berg type set up. No one in the club has a venom. But it looks like a pretty good set up to me.

Depending on how competitive you want to be is what it would suggest. The berg set up. will get you further down the road quicker in the competitive level. But takes a little more customizing to get it set up.. I would go to ckrc

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/

They have write ups on there rigs and have a section that tells what they do to make theres very competitive. Also they have bergs for sale on there.

City of rocks is by Burley idaho. Its about 3 hours away from boise. There are tons of good spots around here to crawl too.. The city of rocks is just a really cool place..

The Club here in boise.

SRCC is the local crawling club. we get together and crawl a few times a month and have a comp once a month or so.. so come out we can get you hooked up with all the info you need on which crawler would be best. and so on.
thescoutmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
RCC Addict

one thing to remember about the berg over the axial is cost, you are gonna spend alot more for a nice berg or moa build than a axial.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would say that if you have the cash to spend get a berg. In the end you can spend as much on an axial as a berg, but a mild competitive crawler, the berg is a better bet.... but it really comes down to driving, there are pluses and minuses for both, neither is a clear winner. But a berg is a bit more initial outlay (or so it seems), but to get to the same point you'd probably end up spending as much upgrading an axial.

Bottom line, both are fun and you can't go wrong.
mmbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

for 544.95$ through ckrc you can have a compelte berg set up with high powered servo other then a radio. which you can pick up for pretty cheap on ebay.. i would get a 2.4 m spectrum or airtronics radio. just need to make sure it has a 3 or 4 channel radio.

You can drop that much money into a axial pretty quickly.

heavy duty gears and locker higher powered servo aluminum c's and knuckles. upgraded bent links .Upgraded chassi to something better then the stocker. Your up over 600 really quickly..

Either way your going to spend over 600 to make it bullet proof and competitive. Its still just a question on how competitive your going to want to be.

the berg will be more bullet proof from the get go. And might be a little more $$$ but its worth it in my mind. It is more labor intensive to set it up though. there are alot of people in the club thought that would help you set up anything you do choose to get though. so let us know if you need any help

One of the club members works one night a week at hobbietown usa in boise.. His name is Jeff mills.. You might want to give him a call he has some good insite. He has owned both an axial and a berg type set up. He has Bully comp axles which are simmalar.

Jeff Mills 208 866-6285
thescoutmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

yeah for sure if you got the money bergs the only way to go, i know i'll never part with mine...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Well I appreciate all the input I think I might get the Berg setup and maybe convince my wife that she should get into this with me and get her the Venom . I was leaning towards the berg because of how tuff the are, I drive truck and was wanting to take it with me. I have taken my nitro trucks with but what a pain to have to keep tuning for different altiudes. Well I hope I make it back in Feb I will come on up the hil check things out.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

where do you truck to and from???
Old 01-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowngreen View Post
where do you truck to and from???

I run all 48 My last week I went from Seattle to Eugene to Vero Beach FL then up to knoxville then down to Charlette Nc and I should be going down to L.A.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #10

Welcome boisetrucker. A crawler would be absolutely awesome for you being on the road all the time. I purchased the RC4WD Bully Comp axles and love them. I also own an Axial and after all the upgrades necessary to make it "dependable", I have more into the Axial than the bully. But I would say that both rigs are a blast. Either way you go, shafty or moa, you'll have fun. Get out to one of our events and check both out.
Jeff Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #11

dam sound like alot of time in a truck but you can sneak off to comps all over the place
racerx_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx_rc View Post
dam sound like alot of time in a truck but you can sneak off to comps all over the place
Yeah some days feel like they go on forever I can be gone for a month or two at a time.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #13

Gone for a month or two? HMMM... got room for my wife?
Jeff Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mills View Post
Gone for a month or two? HMMM... got room for my wife?
Lol I dont even have room for my wife. Got room for my mutt and me.

Last edited by boisetrucker; 01-28-2009 at 12:30 AM.