Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Comp in Jefferson Wi.Who would show?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #1

Default Comp in Jefferson Wi.Who would show?

We have a great location for a comp in Jefferson Wi!Want to find out what kind of turnout for aug 3rd comp?If theres enough interest we will proceed!Course 1 and 2 are roughed out.No point out and longer time limit will be the only change from normal.20 points gets you placed in the next gate.I went to my first comp yesterday in ill.I dont beleive anyone should be stuck in the first gate.This should give everyone a shot at all gates as long as you dont dally in more than one.Overall time out will be 8 minutes.If its a problem we will eliminate the time out.The course is broken concrete,very technical,very doable.Its a 2.2 course,but 1.9's would work well also.No course for supers.Yet.
oicu812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

Count me in as a maybe, broken concrete isn't really 100% worth driving a hour and a half to. I plan to line up a Devils Lake comp or bash here soon after my rig is complete. Baraboo, Wi best rock place I've found. See here for pics.
Devils lake, Pics and Vids 6/2/08

I'd agree with your SCRC course statement. Line choice should be the thing your judged on not luck. They are still a fresh club though they are still in the learning curve so continue to give them a chance. Rain is often a cause of course maker mistakes, it's very hard to judge traction by just looking at it.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I am actually interested in attending. I just ordered a bunch of replacement parts to change my suspension...and that would be a great opportunity to try it all out.

1. Switching to Delrin custom links. (Building my own)
2. Gonna try DROOP.
3. Panther Claws w/ memory foams.

The traction there would be similar to the conditions at the next SCRC comp at Busse Woods.

IF any SCRC members are interested in attending, please post up. Even you southern guys could park at my place and we could carpool north since I am probably the north-most SCRC member in the group. According to MapQuest...it is 2 hours from my house in Streamwood to Jefferson, WI.

Please post more details in terms of TIME, ENTRANCE COST, and LOCATION so that we can plan if driving times will work, and if more than just myself is interested.

Last edited by xirtic; 07-20-2008 at 08:59 PM.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

im in, and carpool sounds like a good plan. like he said, more info. pics of place too
wojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #5

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...crawlin016.jpg
Was thinking noon.
5 bucks seemed pretty fair.
It is one mile north of hwy 106 on willing rd.
Picture is of the top.Its a long way there,as you have to go all the way around the back in a spiral.
Soda and hot dogs are a likelyhood(concessions).
No facilities,or electricity,but a real nice cornfield(banjo music plays)!
Guardrail:you just got famous!
xirtic:im pretty sure i know which guy you are,and id really like to see you there!(the one with the prissy wife?)Dont worry,my lips are sealed!(bring a portajohn 4 da wife)
Droop is next on my list also!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:52 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...crawlin016.jpg
Was thinking noon.
5 bucks seemed pretty fair.
It is one mile north of hwy 106 on willing rd.
Picture is of the top.Its a long way there,as you have to go all the way around the back in a spiral.
Soda and hot dogs are a likelyhood(concessions).
No facilities,or electricity,but a real nice cornfield(banjo music plays)!
Guardrail:you just got famous!
xirtic:im pretty sure i know which guy you are,and id really like to see you there!(the one with the prissy wife?)Dont worry,my lips are sealed!(bring a portajohn 4 da wife)
Droop is next on my list also!

From my place it is 101.2 miles to the location on mostly highway. That is about a 2 hour drive using I-90. My place is about 2 miles from I-90 off of RT 59. Not a bad point to meet for a carpool.

Yep....that is me. The "Princess" will not be attending. She hates that this hobby takes so much of my time, so she curses it.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Ill go with Maybe on this one... its almost 3 hrs for me.

Gate 1 on course A at the comp this weekend was hard for allot of people. We preran the obsticle with 3 different trucks and 3 different tires to make sure it was doable and all 3 made it but, come comp time we got that extra rain that I think realy hurt the obsticle. But, there is something I saw that I think everyone should take note of, people with Rock Claws drove up it everyone else struggled at comp time. Tire selection is key at these events and you have to remember there were at least 2 low scores on that entire course, 1 from someone who had never been to a comp. What I should have done was to use the 20pt rule and move everyone on but, my interpritation of the rule from events I have been to (other than rc crawling) is that until you reach the first gate you havent realy started, kind of like the last gate. Is it fair for someone to reach 20 point between the last gate and the finish so you move them across the line. I guess I go for more of a hard core approach than some. More people realy should stick around after the comps and try the different courses and lines... you can learn allot.

Remember, the SCRC series is 5 comps but there is a throw out score, only 4 comps count.

The next comp at Busse woods has no huge climbs and will be setup by other people. But the time limit will still be 5-6 mins. If you make the time any longer than that and have 15-20 trucks it will drag on all day. Even running both courses at the same time this comp took 2hrs for 2.2.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
there is something I saw that I think everyone should take note of, people with Rock Claws drove up it everyone else struggled at comp time. Tire selection is key at these events
I don't think you seen my run Jeff, I made it up the first climb (with Rock Claws) but it took me several minutes to get up the rock, I'm sure the wet conditions were mostly to blame, but I also think there was a bit of luck involved, that climb was tough. Just wanted to note that Rock Claws are superior!

Oh yeah, forgot why I was replying to this post

I don't think I can make it to Jefferson on this weekend, I will see if I can juggle some things around, I would love to check it out, but damn, there's only so much time for RC.....

Last edited by Ced RC; 07-21-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

If I were to stress a few things about the pile at Jefferson would be:

1. If it rains it should not take long to dry out. We are out in the open on concrete, not trapped in a heavily wooded area.

2. Almost any tire will grip on the concrete. I have the ARTR and OICU812 has the RTR. There is a slight advantage to the Proline tires on the ARTR, but it is not the "must have to compete tire". Any semi soft compound will work, and in fact the RTR tire is probably better over the long run as it will wear much less.

3. This will not be a tire spinning event crawling through the brush. It's a slow moving line picking rock crawling pile. I dial my forward/reverse EPA down to get good slow speed control. Wheel speed is not necessary here.

4. The course is designed around a fairly stock RTR, but still challenging.

5. We are sticking to the 20 point/gate maximum. We want everyone to attempt every gate, unless you destroy your rig. We will not have a point max point limitation, if you miss out on 2 gates you don’t pack it in. You came to play, not to spin your wheels, or have a bad day. We are still working on the time limitation, and will determine that when the event occurs.

It may not be the most natural, or scenic, but it has produced consistent crawling terrain. This will not be an intense to the wire event, more like an opportunity for all that showed a chance to mix it up. We are not comp running experts, but do fell that we have some good terrain.
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Some pics would be great, anybody got pics?
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default The pile.

Comp in Jefferson Wi?Who would show?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I am getting the rig ready for the next 2 events. (Wisconsin and then SCRC @ Busse) Unless work sends me out of town, I will be going to Jefferson.

I built my new 5/16" delrin links tonight. Took a bit of time to bend those buggers, but I got it done. The AMAZING thing was that I placed an order for 8' of 5/16" delrin rod from MacMaster-Car late yesterday evening....their site said shipping MONDAY. Somehow, the rods (and threaded stock) arrived at my office at 2pm today (Monday). I really do not know how they did that.....but their site said that it shipped at 9am Monday....and arrived 5 hours later. AMAZING.

Now if only the Panther Cougar Tires would have gotten here that fast...I would be in business.

I still want to try droop....but that will take some serious tweaking/setup. 13 days to sort it out.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

if you dont want score limits or time limits why not do it as an organized trail run. In my opinion Trail runs and GTG's are where the fun is at. You can setup gates and just keep track in your head yourself. Its allot more fun to drive in and allot lower stress to run.

I just realized... you were the guy with the Nylit... too bad that thing broke, I know you could have made it thru course B with it. If its any consolation I pretty well destroyed the gears in the rear axle on my super.

Last edited by jetboat; 07-22-2008 at 08:41 AM.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I am getting the rig ready for the next 2 events. (Wisconsin and then SCRC @ Busse) Unless work sends me out of town, I will be going to Jefferson.

I built my new 5/16" delrin links tonight. Took a bit of time to bend those buggers, but I got it done. The AMAZING thing was that I placed an order for 8' of 5/16" delrin rod from MacMaster-Car late yesterday evening....their site said shipping MONDAY. Somehow, the rods (and threaded stock) arrived at my office at 2pm today (Monday). I really do not know how they did that.....but their site said that it shipped at 9am Monday....and arrived 5 hours later. AMAZING.

Now if only the Panther Cougar Tires would have gotten here that fast...I would be in business.

I still want to try droop....but that will take some serious tweaking/setup. 13 days to sort it out.

Just verifying that this is still happening on 8/3 (Sunday). My truck is now ready, and I am itching to give it all a try.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #15

Its a go!Ill post more sun night after a day of cleanup on the area.This is also written under Wisconsin with the same header.This will happen!Hope to see you all there!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Official comp thread: Jefferson COMP
Old 07-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicu812 View Post
Its a go!Ill post more sun night after a day of cleanup on the area.This is also written under Wisconsin with the same header.This will happen!Hope to see you all there!
So far Sunday is looking SWEET. If anybody wants to carpool, let me know. I live very close to I-90. (The route to the comp). I plan on leaving my home between 9am and 9:15am.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:46 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
So far Sunday is looking SWEET. If anybody wants to carpool, let me know. I live very close to I-90. (The route to the comp). I plan on leaving my home between 9am and 9:15am.
im up for the carpool, pm your address so i can mapquest it. ill gladly pitch in for gas.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:45 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

This may be of interest to more people, rain or shine the event will go on!

See this thread to learn more:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129150
Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

if anyone that is going has a set of rock lizards they want to sell, im looking for 4 with foams in decent to good condition