Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: trail runs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default trail runs?

Anyone into trail runs? I have all the peices to build my truck except for the body. Getting ready to start building this weekend. Anyone else into the trail runs? Maybe we can incorporate a trail run into the lockport comp. If not maybe we can get a few runs together. The vids I have seen online look like serious fun. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing rolling. Spring is kinda near and my back yard is a huge forest.
I know bubba is on board as soon as he gets a set of axles.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Im in, i have a couple of trucks. Were you thinking 1.9 or 2.2? Im ready for either. I saw one video that was in the snow with a couple of trucks, one was a white Toyota 4runner that was pretty sweet.
venomous98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Mine will be a 2.2. I'm building it around the body which is the HPI bronco. If I ever get the chance, I'd love to have a f350 1.9. However, At the moment a 2.2 scaler/trail truck is the best way for me with more tires and body options with running a 12" wheelbase.

Getting ready to go cut the chassis right now so I can start putting this thing together hehehe

I've never done it before so I might start a build thread just because lol. If I do I'll post a link.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Mine sitting here needing finished. Im working on a Toyota hardbody cab and either a truggy rear or flatbed.

Lockport comp may not happen, it just doesnt have enough rock in the area we are allowed to use for a real comp. Might just be a scaler event.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Mine sitting here needing finished. Im working on a Toyota hardbody cab and either a truggy rear or flatbed.

Lockport comp may not happen, it just doesnt have enough rock in the area we are allowed to use for a real comp. Might just be a scaler event.
That sucks. I want revenge on that stupid climb lol. But yea I hear the no rock thing. We definatly need to find another comp spot then!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Man, I can't believe the diffrence in 3/16 alum to 1/8th. I asked my work for some 1/8th and they gave me a 3.5' by 2' sheet of 3/16. Dummys. My new band saw will cut it but it's killing the blade. Mostly sawzall work happening. Got 1 plate 2/3rds cut out and both batts in the milwaukee saw are dead lol. I need a plug in sawzall.

Last edited by addictedtonitro; 03-28-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 03-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

trying to make a scale chassis?? You could just ask and Ill mill them (as long as they dont have too many curves)
Old 03-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
trying to make a scale chassis?? You could just ask and Ill mill them (as long as they dont have too many curves)
yea I know, I'm starting to feel like a tool though with askin ya stuff lol. Besides, My wife bought me a band saw for my birthday and I wanted to use it. Now I just need some metal cutting blades lol.
On a side note. I got the ryobi 9" band saw for home depot. It seems like a really decent saw for the money. The stock blade is kinda thin so it twists pretty easy but that's easily solved with a stouter blade.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I picked up a scale chassis from Josh Boucher at the last comp, he designed and cuts them on a laser/plasma cutter. I have to say, with the exception of a couple small design changes I need to tell him about, its a great chassis. To top it off, he cut it out of 10g steel for me so that I can cut it in half and attach my truggy backend to it easily.

I dont mind using my mill to cut some stuff for you. Can be fun using the mill to create stuff.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i'm in, just need a set of TLT axles? Anyone got a set for cheapo?
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...01#post1706301

Started a thread. Constructive criticisizm (sp?) accepted lol
Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 AM   #12
MWRCA'er

Yeah always up for a trail run. I went on one Sunday in Rockford. Wish I would have gotten better video I crossed a creek and all that was visible was the roof. Water current pulled the truck a ways down stream it was like driving a boat there for a while. Crazy mud with lots of exposed rocks do to the water flooding situation we have going on. Pretty awesome trails though, looking forward to see what you guys come up with as far as scalers and locations.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
Yeah always up for a trail run. I went on one Sunday in Rockford. Wish I would have gotten better video I crossed a creek and all that was visible was the roof. Water current pulled the truck a ways down stream it was like driving a boat there for a while. Crazy mud with lots of exposed rocks do to the water flooding situation we have going on. Pretty awesome trails though, looking forward to see what you guys come up with as far as scalers and locations.
My scaler will not be as cool as yours man! I've got a lot of fabbing skills to learn before I get there.

What is the best thing to look for in trail runs. The forest behind my house has it all. Sand dunes with ruts, sticks, mud, roots, dirt, grass, weeds, rocks, etc etc.
I actually have a line picked out for it's innugural run lol. I'll snap some pics of it this weekend to see what ya think.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Im in for some trail runs . After bubba makes me a chassis (because my attempt was an epic failier), I will finish up the rest of my scaler and I'm all for it
86 Iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

If I'm not working I'm in just finished up my ambush CGR yesterday and gotta mount the rear bumper today WOOT!!
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote