Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Kankakee River, Rock Creek Scale run July 26

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Kankakee River, Rock Creek Scale run July 26

Well Matt (Bubbaracing) and I ran out to Rock Creek today to try out the area. All I can say is it Will become a ritual for us. We were like kids at a amusment park "dude check that out, look over there, Oh hell yea I'm doing this". We had a really good time.
For once my truck lasted quite a while without breaking. I did eventually fry the new warrior motor though. Not even pushing it. Running on 6 cell nimh pack and she called it quits.

Probably not a great place to have a scale event unless you feel like walking a lot. There are neverending rockbed and woods to run through though. We spent about 3 1/2 hours there today.

I would of got more pics but forgot the camera and all I had to snap pics was the iPhone.

Here ya go 56K warning...turn back now lol

The only Poser pics in the bunch!!!!

End of poser pics!!!!!

If anyone wants to go out we are gonna try and go like every sunday morning around 9:00 if time and if our trucks work lol

Last edited by addictedtonitro; 07-26-2009 at 03:07 PM.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

thats been down the street the whole time and i cant find a place to crawl duh i need a pill so how do you get there i know where the bridge is can see it from road but dont know entrance any help would be appreciated. great find
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblrnut View Post
thats been down the street the whole time and i cant find a place to crawl duh i need a pill so how do you get there i know where the bridge is can see it from road but dont know entrance any help would be appreciated. great find
It's a 1/4 mile east of the bridge, go back west in park to parking by concession stand and go thru the wooods on the dirt paths! Great place!!!!
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

yea, once you go over the canyon/gorge turn right 1/4 mile down into the park and hang a quick right again. When your at the end you'll see the bridge right in front of you. Get your gear and walk over the bridge and take the first trail to the right. It curves around about 30 feet or so and viola Rock and scaler heaver for us southerners. If you walk south on the side of the bank I'm talking about for like 1/8th mile, there is enough rocks out there to drive on all day and never touch the same rock. From pebbles to mega boulders. Then there is a really cool spot about 50ft from there back into the woods where the floods tore up.

Last edited by addictedtonitro; 07-26-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

thanks alot guys ill head there next day or two. let me know whever you guys go ill join you
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Those pictures from under a bridge (looks like a bridge?) looks like some badass crawling under there.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
Those pictures from under a bridge (looks like a bridge?) looks like some badass crawling under there.
yea it is under 129. That place was really cool. only bad part was there was a lot of loose stuff ie. dirt. But perfect for a scaler and the rocks are awesome for a 2.2 and super in that spot. there is about a 5 min walk from the parking lot to get there.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
yea it is under 129. That place was really cool. only bad part was there was a lot of loose stuff ie. dirt. But perfect for a scaler and the rocks are awesome for a 2.2 and super in that spot. there is about a 5 min walk from the parking lot to get there.
Yeah that spot under the bridge rocked! Except for ya had to stand downhill from where you were crawling cause if you drive like me your truck will look like mine aka Slinky!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaracing View Post
Yeah that spot under the bridge rocked! Except for ya had to stand downhill from where you were crawling cause if you drive like me your truck will look like mine aka Slinky!!!
yea what should we name that thing. Dog S%$t or slinky? lol
Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
yea what should we name that thing. Dog S%$t or slinky? lol
Don't get me going on the dog crap again!!! Tires are soaking as I type! That pissed me off! I just talked to John, got him interested in coming with us and getting into the scaler side!!!!

Last edited by bubbaracing; 07-26-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Duh!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #11

I've been to the river once to watch tuneel hull racing back in like 1998. I never knew there was such cool rocks there. My trucks in pieces still because I put my money towards a different hobby. Whenever I get my truck back together it will be about speed. I want to use it for running on outdoor dirt tracks for fun once in a while. Crawling get's boring to fast unless the terrian changes.
4x4allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #12

I like those axial sc10 scalers. But I haven't heard any reveiws on them. Are they any good for crawling and off road dirt track racing to?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

That looks like a blast, hope I can get the day off if the club ever does anything there!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

thats the location I was thinking of... Glad it was what I had hoped. What do you think about it as a comp spot?
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I think there is to sparatic of locations for a 2.2 plus quite a bit of walking is involved. Would work for scale comp as walking is involved anyways.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I need to find a mountain bike so me and Jeff can go scout some more around there! I bet Brad would be up for some riding too! I seen when we were leaving that the park continues across the street by the creek so that's where i'm going next time!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #17

I used to be into on raoding and off road mountain biking. That is until I got into a bad wreck after riding for 2 years without any major accidents. I had a few good bikes. My first good one was a diamond back hard tail with a front shock. It was like 500 new. Then I got a cannondale 900 HT and modded it. It was over 1,100 for the bike and I put another 900 bucks in mods for it. Then my last good on was a schwinn full suspesion bike. The frame was carbon fier and with swing arm was aluminum. It had the sweet spot suspension system on it. I got it as a demo for 840 bucks when it new for 1,570 buks then I put another 500 bucks in better parts on it. Heck no I would just buy some 349 dollar sweet spot full suspension bike off of ebay and they make it ride nicer if I was gonna get back into riding. But I would just do on road riding or some nice flat trail riding.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #18

Man I wish I could of tackled those rocks at the river. Lol. Heck that looked better that busse. But I'm sure its a way smaller crawling spot than what busse has. I think busse has 2 spots to crawl at.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

If you feel like walking 1/8 to1/4 mile there is like 30 spots to crawl around there that we seen we were just driving forever on rocks at 1 point.

We need to get Jeff out there to see what he thinks about it.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you feel like walking 1/8 to1/4 mile there is like 30 spots to crawl around there that we seen we were just driving forever on rocks at 1 point.

We need to get Jeff out there to see what he thinks about it.

We need to find Jeff some time... Ive got 2 weeks off end of Aug beginning of sept... Cant afford to go anywhere so may have to take some day trips.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote