Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: What Happened to the Cable Bridge Thread?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default What Happened to the Cable Bridge Thread?

No more cable bridge at I-Hobby? What did I miss while I was at work today?

Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

at the request of several people the thread was deleted...

Here's the basics:
cable bridge stays (voting was 17/4)
set for a 10" track width vehicle as that is the average truck and the standard we used in the past
there will be a net
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Just to clarify, that is track width. Not cable span. The actual span comes in around 8 1/2 or so. Everything from tlt's to wheely king axles will fit.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Request of several people? Why and whom? Did I miss something?

It's just my opinion, but I think any obstacle which clearly favors a certain track width is unfair, yes the new spacing between cables will benefit my track width in comparison to the previously listed 10" width but the rules allow a maximum track width of 12.5" - and if your rig is at or near the max it's a clear disadvantage - I guess I'm more into conventional crawling, yes the cable bridge will draw attention but so will nicely designed rigs and talented driving...

I would compare it to a cave or obstacle which requires the driver to pass under rock or whatever, and let's say the clearance is about 8" - I think a good amount of crawlers could pass underneath but not ALL crawlers, should the unconventional competitors be subjected to this? Sure the cave looks cool, and maybe 80 or 90 percent of rigs will pass through with no problem, but in my opinion it wouldn't be fair.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

1. This is supposed to be an exhibition to promote the sport, the comp is to put some fun in there and let people show off to the vendors.

2. Cable bridges are normal at the large comps.

3. you cant accommodate everyone, at least people have time ahead to make adjustments.

4. If your scared of the bridge, its not a point series event.

Its not like we are saying people have to drive up a 60* incline or thru a water puddle like they do at big comps (Nats, west coast championsips,crawl a poloza etc)
Old 09-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Having never driven any of my rigs in a comp before, I was a little concerned about this. But hey, if there's a net I'll give it a shot.

Speaking in other terms of fairness, is the course possible to complete without dig?
Roketcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roketcooper View Post

Speaking in other terms of fairness, is the course possible to complete without dig?

Its all in how we layout the gates. I'm sure there will be a couple that favor dig just to be able to show it off to the spectators but the vast majority should be doable without.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
2. Cable bridges are normal at the large comps.

4. If your scared of the bridge, its not a point series event.

Its not like we are saying people have to drive up a 60* incline or thru a water puddle like they do at big comps (Nats, west coast championsips,crawl a poloza etc)
How many "large comps" you been to?
I think it's a stretch to say cable bridges are "normal" at large events...
I know they always have a cable bridge at Nats, I still don't think the cable bridge is fair to ALL competitors, and I prefer more natural-like obstacles, again it's just my opinion/preference...

I also think that 2.2 and Super class crawlers have no business driving through water as part of a comp course.

I'm certainly not scared, I just don't want to see a mass majority of the competitors fail on one single obstacle. What I experienced at Midwest Indoor earlier this year with the near impossible climb on the one course and one other course that was impossible to complete within the given time limit, and 80% of competitors (nearly 100 competitors?) completing 2 of 5 courses, I would hate to see massive failure here at ihobby, in the spotlight...

Face it Jeff, you are known for setting up insanely difficult courses, courses which produce carnage, courses that YOU can't even complete
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

well if you dont want to do it then dont come... plain and simple, you want to bitch and moan about everything yet not help or do any kind of planning.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
well if you dont want to do it then dont come... plain and simple, you want to bitch and moan about everything yet not help or do any kind of planning.
Wow man, I'm not bitching and moaning about everything?!?
I simply stated that I don't like the idea of a cable bridge, you put up a poll and asked for everyone's opinion on the cable bridge, am I not allowed to disagree with you?

Then you delete the thread? I remember you criticizing a certain individual in the past over deleting threads, I also remember you stating that we should not be bickering so much, yet you seem to be an instigator? I'm not trying to start problems or argue, I'm simply putting my opinion out there, I think my opinion should count for something, SCRC is a club, not a dictatorship...
Old 09-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
For the record, it wasn't my decision for SCRC to do ihobby, my personal life is extremely busy these days, although I haven't been able to meet your schedule with working on ihobby to date, I did volunteer for the announcing at ihobby and I also planned to be at ihobby for the majority of the event, helping with setup, daily duties, tear down etc, now I feel a little discouraged given your negative nonsense.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

ding ding... Back to your corners hehehe

Ced, Jeff, ME, we are all stressed out. This ihobby build is a lot more labor and $$ intense than we thought. We also planned on a lot more people pitching in to help. Unfortunatly at this time of the year, EVERYONE is busy lol.

The majority of the burden is on Jeff to get it done and put on a great show. I have no doubt that we will suceed in this goal. For some reason everyone has been pretty stressed out lately, including me. Also we didn't plan on dumping as money as we have into the build. I myself have put in over a hundred bucks to dat. Jeff is well over that. I think maybe at this point when now Jeff and I are footing the bill pretty much for the rest of the build it kinda becomes personal.

At the same time we just got done with a retarded tough comp. The courses were damn near impossible. But, in jeffs defence, We all pitched in to set gates up. BEN.... Your gate was the hardest one of all lol.

I think now with the vast majority of crawlers on the market setting courses is going to be extremelly hard. Trying to please the guy with a artr ax10 to the guy with a $1000 moa rig. also the chassis are way diffrent. Stick, tvp, tube etc etc. It's gonna be tough and I'm sure next year will provide more options. I've only been crawlin for 2 years and the hobby has come 500% in 2 years.

Now, Lets all take a breather, sit back, grab a beer and concentrate on HAVING FUN. I personally cant wait to see you all at ihobby. I want to show off my new rig!!!!!!!!!! I always value your opinions and excitedly look for your opinions.

On my last subject, The bridge. The way the opinions are going if we would of made the poll sooner, It might not of happened. Unfortunatly, There is 100.00 worth of materials tied up into the towers and it is not in my budget and time frame to start over with a diffrent style.

Trust me, I don't want anyone to break 1 thing there. I seriously mean that. This is a Huge deal for our club and we need to make the best of it.

Now , I'm dead serious here. We need to put our guns away, and calm down. There are way too many friendships here on the line. I know I feel uncomfortable and so does others I have talked too. I see both sides of the opinions and can agree with both.

BTW
Ced, If I beat you at ihobby, Does our deal still stand muahahaha
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Heres the deal... There is about $650 into the course build, RC Hobbies Donated $300 the rest of the money has come from my pocket and Jeff K's pocket. JRH offered to give us cash for a donation but instead I asked that he provide us products that I could give away to everyone. I have been called a gate Nazi and a gate czar, I have been blamed for every bad course we have ever had even though I didn't setup half of them. Yet all I am trying to do is further the sport and bring new members to a club that has been loosing them right and left.

Yes I deleted the last thread, I was asked to by 2 people in 5 mins. I didn't want to but I took the advice and deleted it. It was only intended to be up for a week anyway.

I don't have the time or money to replace the bridge with something else. 2 out of 3 major sponsors have spoken to me and said that they want to see the bridge. It will be the 1 thing to draw attention to us. At this point Ill be lucky to have the course built and I am really worried about getting it to the event.

The voting on the bridge was 17/4 when the thread was deleted... if you take in the fact that Saydee wanted to change his vote, it was 18/3. I believe everyone that voted was involved in the event. If you dont want the bridge and if your going to create a scene at the event, please dont come.

This is my last post in this thread and on the topic
Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I AM NOT TRYING TO GET IN THE MIDDLE OF ANYTHING BUT HERES MY .02.

i have been to several comps with cable bridges with lots of different rigs competeing and its not as hard as you would think. and generally if you fall off there is a way to climb out ,take a gate and continue. the courses should be hard but not undo able. a 30% finishrate is the about perfect but if 1 person can finish a course its still a valid do- able course. this is scrc chance to shine and i believe you guys can work it out and put a little of that stress in the background for a second. i know it going to take all you guys to pull this off but you can do it. Dont make me get jake out of the car

so ill know by the weekend if i can make it so until then
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I am planing on donating some money when i arrive on wednesday i bielieve Dave will do the same and its only my opionion that any one els that is putting on the exabition on saturday should also pitch in to help cover the rest of the fees nmotice i did not say COMP.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
Now, Lets all take a breather, sit back, grab a beer and concentrate on HAVING FUN. I personally cant wait to see you all at ihobby. I want to show off my new rig!!!!!!!!!! I always value your opinions and excitedly look for your opinions.

Trust me, I don't want anyone to break 1 thing there. I seriously mean that. This is a Huge deal for our club and we need to make the best of it.
x2, I know not too many people know me that well but I was estatic when I heard about the comp at iHobby. If the course is tough, oh well, some things just aren't easy. I can see the concern about falling off the bridge and having points added and such, but to me it's just the nature of this event. It's not part of your points series, so there shouldn't be a huge concern to begin with. The only thing here on the line is pride and whatever prizes are being given at the show, yes?

This will be a fun event to me just because of the setting. Rock crawling is supposed to be laid back.
Roketcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I may be wrong on this but the prizes are being given away on a random drawing not for finishing first or last for that matter .
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper View Post
I may be wrong on this but the prizes are being given away on a random drawing not for finishing first or last for that matter .
All items will be placed in a hat 1st place draws first and so on
Old 09-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have been called a gate Nazi and a gate czar, I have been blamed for every bad course we have ever had even though I didn't setup half of them. Yet all I am trying to do is further the sport and bring new members to a club that has been loosing them right and left.

If you dont want the bridge and if your going to create a scene at the event, please dont come.

This is my last post in this thread and on the topic
You dish out a lot of sh!t... but sure can't take it...

AGAIN, I stress that in my opinion - cable bridges are unfair to competitors, I'm not scared, I'm not going to create a scene, everyone that knows me will vouch that I would never create a scene, you on the other hand have asked me to not attend iHobby due to me sharing my opinion, accused me of bitching and moaning about everything, yet not help or do any kind of planning... which is NOT true, earth to Jeff, come in Jeff... you are delusional... AGAIN - I offered to announce for iHobby, I planned to be there for the entire event, no I didn't donate $$, is this what it's all about Jeff? Money? Here's the deal... $$$

Have you forgotten all the stuff I've done for SCRC?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roketcooper View Post
x2, I know not too many people know me that well but I was estatic when I heard about the comp at iHobby. If the course is tough, oh well, some things just aren't easy. I can see the concern about falling off the bridge and having points added and such, but to me it's just the nature of this event. It's not part of your points series, so there shouldn't be a huge concern to begin with. The only thing here on the line is pride and whatever prizes are being given at the show, yes?

This will be a fun event to me just because of the setting. Rock crawling is supposed to be laid back.
I'm gonna do everything in my power to make this a fun and memorable event. You got my word on that!