Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: might have found a place to build a perm course

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default might have found a place to build a perm course

Label it as a might... I am in talks with the romeoville park district to build an offroad track and a rock crawling course in one of the village parks. Its still very early in the game but, they have unused land that they are looking to use. Here's the catch, we will need to provide everything most likely... labor, materials etc but they will "give" us the land. If any of you guys know any local racing clubs, please put them in touch with me.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Up north in my area i'm part of a racing club and next year we will have three tracks that will be built in spring. I'm good friends with one of the organizers and will most likely get the go ahead with building a rock course. Just letting you guys know and maybe have another option for a comp.
venomous98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

If I'm free this summer I can come out and help build something.
Roketcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

you know I'm down to help with labor and supplies!
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
MWRCA'er

Going to be under lock and key? Not real sure the park district wants BMX'ers back there breaking bones then suing. I'm very fond of the idea of a permanent crawler course as it needs no maintenance. The race course on the other hand I don't know.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Oh yeah i'm there too! Can bring rocks for sure!!!! I say we build a track for mainly short course trucks???
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Its all going to depend on what we can get... The park District already built a rather large skate park that the bikers hurt themselves on and they think its one of the best things. The area will most likely have to be fenced off with a design to "stop" bikes from getting in but, we will see.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Take it from a high school student, minors love skateparks. They're a good place to go and mess around without getting hassled by the police for owning a skateboard. I doubt anyone would hurt themselves then sue the park district unless they were a total moron or their parents prompted them to. I think a RC specefic track would be nice, I've gotten myself kicked out of skateparks for bringing my Slash in.

I wish I had better pictures of this, but the park I run at in Wheaton had a big pile of rocks. They'd use the rocks to line the sides of the paths, and whatever they had leftover they dumped all in one spot. It made for a very challenging course to run. It might be possible to have something like this done out where you want to build the course. Maybe a dedicated run for scalers and comps, then a very technical boulderfield.

Also, where would the closest hobby shop be in respect to the park? Might be a good idea to let them know the track is being built. If the general public sets eyes on a dedicated course and people running and having fun, they'll want in. This seems like a great way to expand our hobby

I should check with my local park district and see if they have space for a new/better rock pile. The whole park I run at is currently being rennovated.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Closest hs is leisure... if they find out about any form of public track being built they will try to get it closed so it doesnttake business away.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Contact the Wheaton Park district and see if they have any space avalible from the Northside park rennovations. It might not be in YOUR area, but there is a local middle school RC club in Glen Ellyn that could definitley use an off-road track. And Wheaton is About equally distant from Al's and RC Hobbies, neither of which have a dedicated track.

Or I could contact them when I have some free time.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

a resident of the district has allot better chance at getting something passed thru than a nonresident. Its simply based on the fax that you pay taxes to the park district you live in. Though I could propose a build in wheaton in the clubs name, I would need to show membership in that town or district. In romeoville we have the advantage that I live there and allot of our members live in plainfield and lockport. (Part of why I have requested zip codes when you join)
Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
a resident of the district has allot better chance at getting something passed thru than a nonresident. Its simply based on the fax that you pay taxes to the park district you live in. Though I could propose a build in wheaton in the clubs name, I would need to show membership in that town or district. In romeoville we have the advantage that I live there and allot of our members live in plainfield and lockport. (Part of why I have requested zip codes when you join)

Im down for labor help if you get something going. I can also get rocks, nothing special though, just like whats in rc hobbies...
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I`m in to help out .
Briguy-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy-01 View Post
I`m in to help out .
meto alot more fee time now
thevulgarcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roketcooper View Post
Contact the Wheaton Park district and see if they have any space avalible from the Northside park rennovations. It might not be in YOUR area, but there is a local middle school RC club in Glen Ellyn that could definitley use an off-road track. And Wheaton is About equally distant from Al's and RC Hobbies, neither of which have a dedicated track.

Or I could contact them when I have some free time.

If you do and need help with anything PM me, I'm in West Chicago and live right between where that would be and the Batavia location I also know a couple of the guys at Hadley Middle School that run that program and can mention it to Mike the next time I talk to him at work.

Last edited by BJoe; 01-28-2010 at 05:54 PM.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I am willing to help. Let me know.
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Its going to be a couple weeks till I get an update, the directors of parks and rec is on vacation until almost March.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Its going to be a couple weeks till I get an update, the directors of parks and rec is on vacation until almost March.
Must be nice. Hey jeff I thought of something. Since we would be paying and building this, who would foot the bill for the fence? If us, forget it. That's Agee grand in materials alone
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

We will see... if it comes down to buying materials ill start looking for sponsors. Right now I'm more concerned with getting the approval. Nice thing is romeoville park district has a decent budget surplus every year, 2 yrs ago they built a rather large rather nice skate park with the surplus all because a couple people asked for it.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I know that it also has been brought up to the schaumburg park district to put in a crawler course. The good part about it is they would pay the bill.And last I heard they were looking in to it because of all the extra land they have.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote