Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: North, Northwest and West suburbs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default North, Northwest and West suburbs

Anybody want to see if we can get a group together for scaling and comps? I just can't do these 100 mile one way trips regularly. I would love to be able to crawl more often.

I understand that there is an indoor course in Naperville. Even Orland Park is manageable. Spring on, I am sure we can find our door spots around all the rivers up here.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'll go out and screw around in Batavia with my Axial XJ and WK FSXJ every once in a while when I have a weekday off of work as well as run my Losi rigs over at the park on 25 by the windmill. With winter coming, that will affect my ability to go and crawl the Losi stuff, but I'm more than willing to take the Axial and WK out as well as thrash my E-Revo in the white stuff

BTW Neil, Dad got a good shot of you and your wife together at I-Hobby last Saturday, want me to see if I can get it sent to you?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I am definately down to find more places to crawl, let me know, I can usually get away for an hour or two during the day. I found some ok scaler spots down by Algonquin Rd and the fox river....
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoK5 View Post
I am definately down to find more places to crawl, let me know, I can usually get away for an hour or two during the day. I found some ok scaler spots down by Algonquin Rd and the fox river....

I do have this and it is central located

added some new rock's

and some log's

Each of the fense peices at around 8 feet so there is a fair room to play.

Only problem is winter is cold for out side crawling.

I guess a fire pit would help

here is some more pic's Maple Run (My Home Course)

Last edited by sally1800; 11-01-2010 at 01:22 PM.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If we could get a northern shop to install a course we could do more up north
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoK5 View Post
well are you going to talk to the guys at ht lake in the hills
scale-bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
RCC Addict

While at iHobby, I did talk with the owner's GF/Accounting person of AdVenture Hobbies in Wheeling. They may be a source worth talking to.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I talked to the owner before the show... problem is their track is in the basement and they dont want to lug a bunch of heavy stuff down there but, they were interested (kind of conflicting statements I know)
Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
I talked to the owner before the show... problem is their track is in the basement and they dont want to lug a bunch of heavy stuff down there but, they were interested (kind of conflicting statements I know)

Are you sure that you are not talking about STRICTLY HOBBIES in Shiller Park? That location has the basement track for winter, and uses the parking lot in summer.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale-bronco View Post
well are you going to talk to the guys at ht lake in the hills
I have talked with Shawn and Betty on this. They are interested but at this time, there are only 4 of us that come in for crawler parts. Understanding that a lot of what we do is hand made stuff and we do a lot of mail order because of the number of parts and the number of crawlers on the market, they just cannot carry the parts we need. But where we can, we still have to support our LHS if we want them to support us. That is how we got an indoor race track almost done and an outdoor race track coming in the spring.

If you are in the area, go in, talk to the guys about crawlers, look at what you can buy locally and help show them that a rock crawler course will benefit their business. I buy ALL my electronics (except my HH stuff) from them, I order most of my styrene from them, all of my paints and all of my Traxxas stuff. I also buy all of my go fasts there. I do pay a little more sometimes, other times I get deals. I typically get the same price as Tower Hobbies without shipping and get it in 2 to 4 days. I just bought my Goat 3S/18.5 combo for the same price as Tower, my RC10T4 and B4 FTs for the same price and my RC8Te 10 buck cheaper and no shipping.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well like I've been saying. HT at northbrook got the old course from orland park and I understand it isn't the best. The owner is working to secure more SF to expand a track and a course. As far as I know I'm the only crawler guy that really frequents the shop that isn't really into MRC's . I would think he may be intrested to expand if the intrest is there but... I think it would take more than just me talkng with him.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I talked to them when I was looking for a home for the course, they said they are moving in march and will give us a buzz then.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

There is a closed up mini golf place over at Charlestown Mall in St. Charles, I think it might still have the course inside the "storefront". I don't work tomorrow and need to run into StC for an erand, I can look at it if you want and see what it might cost to rent for a day, or at least if they will.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Take some pics so we can see what it looks like
Old 11-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I went and looked as well asked about the space, turns out somebody is going to be reopening that mini-golf before too long and some of what I saw when I took these pictures confirms that. The woman I talked to there said that the new renter would be doing a little work to it before the re-opening as well, I might have to look and see what all the changes are going to be and talk to the folks running it after Christmas. This mall is also under new management and has been since June and they're also working at putting more stores into it and bringing it back to what it was!

edit: almost forgot the pictures..............

Last edited by BJoe; 11-08-2010 at 04:48 PM.