Notices

Thread: NIRC. Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #26421
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: NIRC. Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Ok, it's not a $600 bike, it's a Mongoose $248.99, 7spd, disc brakes, 3pc crank, what more do ya need?
Hate to be a Debbie downer but....

Mongoose was sold to pacific cycles many years ago.
What does that mean?

Pacific makes every horrible crappy dangerous bike you can buy at walmart or any other big box discount store.

You will break that bike! Probably gonna get hurt when you do

In the world of Mtn bikes. If you don't spend 600-1000. The first time you will soon outgrow the capability of that bike.
These super fat tire bikes are pretty new to the industry. For a while all you could get was the surly pugsly.
Surly started as a frame only custom bike manufacturer. Now they have off the shelf bikes. But you can still spend upwards of 4/5k on a really sweet "custom"

If you want a good deal scour craigslist. Go to the bike store and ride a few,see what you like. But buy used.

Unless you are just rolling in it.
And never ever buy something made by pacific cycles
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #26422
Scale Detail Engineering

Lakefront crawling tomorrow morning/afternoon?
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #26423
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.slowduo View Post
Hate to be a Debbie downer but....

Mongoose was sold to pacific cycles many years ago.
What does that mean?

Pacific makes every horrible crappy dangerous bike you can buy at walmart or any other big box discount store.

You will break that bike! Probably gonna get hurt when you do

In the world of Mtn bikes. If you don't spend 600-1000. The first time you will soon outgrow the capability of that bike.
These super fat tire bikes are pretty new to the industry. For a while all you could get was the surly pugsly.
Surly started as a frame only custom bike manufacturer. Now they have off the shelf bikes. But you can still spend upwards of 4/5k on a really sweet "custom"

If you want a good deal scour craigslist. Go to the bike store and ride a few,see what you like. But buy used.

Unless you are just rolling in it.
And never ever buy something made by pacific cycles
You've evidently done your homework, so I'm not going to dispute your statements. Myself, personally , have bought Walmart bikes in the past, and have not had any problems. Would I take a bike like this from Farm & Fleet and jump and beat on it like they do in the X games or on any of the mountain biking videos, NO!, cuz I'm not stupid, nor am I physically fit to do such stunt riding. But, I did work for 4 yrs at a bike shop, and know how to customize, and strengthen frames, swap out better parts for lesser quality parts, and in my opinion, purchasing a low priced look-alike at an affordable price, and then upgrading it, is not a bad choice. If you, or anyone else wants to pay upwards of a thousand dollars just for a custom frame, be my guest.
I don't know if any of you guys are old enough to remember the wooden bike track in Northbrook, but my friends and I use to race there on the weekends, when I was in high school. A couple of the guys I hung out with came from families that were a bit more well off than I was. Their daddies bought them bikes with $1000 chrome-moly frames, and I use to skunk them with my steel frame Schwinn Le Tour. It's not the quality of the bike and it's parts that win races, it's the physical ability, and stamina of the rider that wins races.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #26424

I was the manager of a bike shop from about 2000 to 2007, so I have pretty good experience with bicycles. In my opinion the quality has improved greatly over the years, even among low end bikes. My wife's bike was stolen last week and since she uses it every day to get to work, I had to find a replacement fast, but with Christmas so close funds were tight so it was off to Craigslist.

I was able to find a hybrid in practically new condition for only $60. It's a Northwinds Crosstown, which I had never even heard of but it's sold online for around $190. It's not a "bike shop" bike, but I am impressed with the quality, and it is every bit as good as the $400 Trek and Jamis hybrids that I used to sell.

There was a time when most department store bikes were complete crap, and I have worked on plenty of them, but they have improved greatly. Of course this all depends on how serious you are with riding and how far you push the bike. For casual riding or commuting a department store bike could definitely suffice, but if you ride hard spending the extra money for a known quality bike, whether used or new is the way to go.

Compare the bike industry to the RC industry. Less than ten years ago most people wouldn't trust a radio made by anyone but Airtronics or Futaba with their expensive vehicles, but now a lot of people use Flysky or other non name brand equipment, because the technology has improved to the point that while you can spend a lot more on something, it won't necessarily work that much better for what the majority of people use them for.
BMoreScale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:07 AM   #26425
Scale Detail Engineering

Wow, ccurrently 4 degrees!
My dogs didn't even make it around the block!

On the bright side, it's supposed to warm up to 14!

Last edited by johnnyh66; 12-31-2014 at 06:10 AM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #26426
Rock Crawler

thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #26427

lookin good chris.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #26428
RCC Addict

Mind if I share my ex nitro pede, electric slash w/yeti body? Mix of HPI, associated, and axial. Still running the nitro transmission. Pure yard bomb around toy. Yeti body makes it look entirely different. Solidly mounted. I'm not exactly nirc but plan to come to another event some day. Always follow everything in this thread. Need to put MIP HD shafts on this. It's always last on the totem pole for upgrades.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #26429
Pebble Pounder

Did you guys make it out today ? A few of us went to Aldeen park in rockord was cold but still fun.
talmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:47 PM   #26430
MWRCA'er

Wow looked like a great event wish I could of made it. I'll hit the next one.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #26431
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Wow, ccurrently 4 degrees!
My dogs didn't even make it around the block!

On the bright side, it's supposed to warm up to 14!

Weather channel app shows it feels like 9 outside. I feel bad sometimes he's gotta use the bathroom outside all year around. I'd be pissed having to crap in rain, snow, freezing temps, and right out in the open. On a plus side when it's this cold I don't have to go out with him. He shoots out, straight to business, and right back to the back door ;).
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:36 AM   #26432
Quarry Creeper

Happy new years guys!!!!!

I hear ya mike,last year when we had that beautiful -45* my pup Would go to the back Door and look at me like "you go pee out in that s&#t" .but yea for the most part he goes out,does his thing,and races back in
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #26433
RCC Addict

Clone kart maiden voyage.. Slicks + grass = drifting fun! Its geared tall so it just spins everywhere.

http://youtu.be/2x-jv7q-azs
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #26434
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
Clone kart maiden voyage.. Slicks + grass = drifting fun! Its geared tall so it just spins everywhere.

http://youtu.be/2x-jv7q-azs
Cool!

Clone?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #26435
RCC Addict

The engine is a clone of a honda engine.. There is a kart class called "clone kart" and they run similar engines.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #26436

Quote:
The engine is a clone of a honda engine.. There is a kart class called "clone kart" and they run similar engines.
i wonder if thats the same motor that goes in them motopeds?

rick im gonna see if i can get them bearings off my yota shafts either today or tomorrow. ive been lazy as ****...
Old 01-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #26437
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ah, cool.. where do you run?

Other than your lawn
Old 01-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #26438
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
rick im gonna see if i can get them bearings off my yota shafts either today or tomorrow. ive been lazy as ****...
Let me know if ya need any help.. I aint really doin much until work sunday night.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #26439
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thzero View Post
Ah, cool.. where do you run?

Other than your lawn
I'm going to find a field somewhere and wear in a figure 8. But, its original purpose was to compete in unsanctioned ice racing on the lake by my house.. A group of guys have karts as well and we'll get out there and do an oval. I need to regear and stud the tires for that though.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #26440

you should do the pcv on the tires and drift that ****er!

Tags
baby mama drama, ban the mouth!, disappearing ta, disappearing tag show, fattittybrits, kidsthesedays, ls1 everything, rc hippies, tittie artist, winter is lame