Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: NIRC. Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #26741
Rock Crawler

Default Re: NIRC. Chit Chat

That's cool. I just went back with a standard one. The old one leaked and the gear box had some slop in it being 43 years old. I think I'll feel the biggest difference on the highway. She was a little sloppy! Ha.

I need to figure out what my next work will be. I'd like to rebuild the braking system, put a 3/4 ton booster and MC on it and then replace all the calipers, rotors and drum parts. I'm also still planning to put a modern manual transmission in it with at least 2 more gears, that's going to be expensive. I may do the exhaust before those things though. I'll really enjoy having a louder exhaust, planning to go with magnaflow. That truck a bigger money pit than my Taco!!
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #26742
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronc4now View Post

looking for scale points ....should I try for exo points or let it be? I do pull cab off to change lipos...so it can't be to restricted
seems like it'd have to be a flip top like Hera... or figure out a way to change the lipo from underneath?
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #26743

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
That's cool. I just went back with a standard one. The old one leaked and the gear box had some slop in it being 43 years old. I think I'll feel the biggest difference on the highway. She was a little sloppy! Ha.

I need to figure out what my next work will be. I'd like to rebuild the braking system, put a 3/4 ton booster and MC on it and then replace all the calipers, rotors and drum parts. I'm also still planning to put a modern manual transmission in it with at least 2 more gears, that's going to be expensive. I may do the exhaust before those things though. I'll really enjoy having a louder exhaust, planning to go with magnaflow. That truck a bigger money pit than my Taco!!
in my instance the factory power steering cooler sprung a leak and let my cars cooling system and power steering systems share fluid. happened while i was halfway to connecticut for a vintage rc buggy thing... with that car ive had the theme that if something factory breaks to replace it with something better made, thats why the autox steering pump.

my old 71 lemans had the power steering box give the ghost on lakeshore drive waaaay back when i first got my job here. that was before i had a garage and that was not a fun thing to swap out with the car parked on the street.

Last edited by badhoopty; 01-26-2015 at 10:35 AM.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #26744
Rock Crawler

I can imagine that sucked working on your ride in the street!! My heated garage has been awesome! No way I'd be out there working on my trucks if I lived at my old place. I'd be sitting on my rear inside all weekend.

I don't have a cooler on my power steering so that's not a risk for me. I am experiencing something similar though. Somehow I'm getting some fluid transfer from the auto tranny to the transfer case. No idea how. I've been ignoring it, knowing that I'll eventually pull the tranny. Apparently it's been doing it for years.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #26745

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
I can imagine that sucked working on your ride in the street!! My heated garage has been awesome! No way I'd be out there working on my trucks if I lived at my old place. I'd be sitting on my rear inside all weekend.

I don't have a cooler on my power steering so that's not a risk for me. I am experiencing something similar though. Somehow I'm getting some fluid transfer from the auto tranny to the transfer case. No idea how. I've been ignoring it, knowing that I'll eventually pull the tranny. Apparently it's been doing it for years.
tailshaft on the trans leaking into the tcase?

and yeah, back then i didnt have the big tools i have now either, so there were many freaking bus rides to the parts store to get various crap like steering arm pullers and crap. i remember it being quite a crappy experience.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #26746

Anybody have any good sugestions on how to seal up a body after its been painted.Just built my first truck.It came out great,about two weeks went by and I was just doing some minor maintenance.I was carrying it about chest height and dropped it.The paint chipped and seperated in a few spots really bummed me out.I did do a real good job of cleaning it prior to paint so I dont think that was the issue.

Products to seal it?
58chvytrklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #26747
Scale Detail Engineering

There are some clear coats out there.
Is it lexon or a hard body?
What type of paint did you use?
Old 01-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #26748
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
tailshaft on the trans leaking into the tcase?
Probably...
Old 01-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #26749

proline body
I used modeling paint
Old 01-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #26750

what is the best type of paint to use,do they make a plastic or vinyl paint thats more pliable, that will flex.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #26751
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58chvytrklvr View Post
what is the best type of paint to,do they make a plastic or vinyl paint thats more pliable, that will flex.
With my experience painting lexan ..fascolor airbrush paint sticks the best and flexible !
all the sprays that I've used can pop off when hit hard or bent funny..
dulling up in inside of the body with steel wool helps it hold..
I've never tried any out side coating after its been painted just black..
bronc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #26752

if you are using the wrong kind of paint it will crack off no mater what you do to prep it. same with rubber bumpers on full size cars, you need a paint thats designed to flex for lexan bodies.

i use the tamiya polycarb paints and it doesnt chip off at all when the body flexes. ive also used pactra but if i heard right they maybe arent making spray paint anymore.

but yeah, overall you need the right paint for lexan or else it will flake off really easy.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #26753

im a couple more shitty mondays and worried weekends ruined by them from turning in my notice again and doing what i should have committed to last year.

take a month or two off, clean out all the crap ive hoarded over the past 15 years, and move someplace where the scenery makes me happy and theres opportunity for creative something jobs. at this point i wouldnt even mind being the guy behind the counter at a retail store for awhile until i get something else figured out.

kinda thinking of maybe getting into the drones and doing flyovers for real estate listings and events and whatnot. anybody have a dx6i they would sell or trade me for something?
Old 01-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #26754
Scale Detail Engineering

I'm currently writing a cover letter to the competition... an office just south of San Francisco in Cupertino, CA.
They also have offices here.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #26755
Rock Crawler

I need some clear coat tips. I don't need the thing to shine like crazy, I just need the clear coat to stay on! Last time I painted the chevy white, I used silver pinstripe to add the trim, you can see it in the photo below. I want to do that again. I sprayed clear coat on the body after applying the pinstripe and it was really effective at keeping the decal in place even when scraping against rocks. The problem I had was in open areas like door panels. The clear coat would scratch and then start to peel. I don't think it had enough grip to the white paint below it. Did I wait too long to place the clear after the white had cured? Should I take some super fine sandpaper to the white before I shoot the clear this time? What do you guys think? Do you use clear much?

I can google clear coat application and it talks all about wet sanding and so on. I don't need this thing to be perfect. I also don't want to put a ton of effort into something that's just going to get all scratched up.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #26756
Scale Detail Engineering

Tom Asher (holycaveman) is selling his C3.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #26757
Pebble Pounder

Do most of you who weld all weld your bumpers instead of bolts ?
talmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #26758
Pebble Pounder

talmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #26759
Quarry Creeper

Trey. You have to do the wet sanding. You don't need to make it perfect but you have to give the surface some tooth.that is why it peeled last time.
Toms class 3 has to come with the Barbie or no dice!

Seems like everyone is unsure of what we want in our futures.
I keep telling myself I really need to go back to the nc coast. It was a fantastic place to live.

Where ever any of us ends up. I'm sure we will be turning wrenches on big cars and little.
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #26760
Rock Crawler

Ok I'll wet sand thanks.

Tags
baby mama drama, ban the mouth!, disappearing ta, disappearing tag show, fattittybrits, kidsthesedays, ls1 everything, rc hippies, tittie artist, winter is lame