Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: NIRC. Chit Chat

this is my favorite tv show
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #4243
Scale Detail Engineering

I need help

I haven't used a bec yet but I think Hera needs one with the 4ws.
Throttle keeps cutting out and I'm assuming it's because of the 3 (3rd servo is shifting) servos I have plugged into the rx.

I think it'll end up with 5 servos!
2 for steering
1 for shifting
1 for winch
1 for lights
Do I just need 1 bec to power all this?
Does the BEC plug into the Battery plug on the rx?

Also, these 2 diagrams are different I think...
One is from CC and the other I found on RCC with several people saying to follow it...
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #4244
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I need help

I haven't used a bec yet but I think Hera needs one with the 4ws.
Throttle keeps cutting out and I'm assuming it's because of the 3 (3rd servo is shifting) servos I have plugged into the rx.

I think it'll end up with 5 servos!
2 for steering
1 for shifting
1 for winch
1 for lights
Do I just need 1 bec to power all this?
Does the BEC plug into the Battery plug on the rx?

Also, these 2 diagrams are different I think...
One is from CC and the other I found on RCC with several people saying to follow it...

Both diagrams will work. The castle diagram has one issue I hate. It will pump whatever voltage you have your BEC set to into the receiver. That basically means everything you plug into the receiver has to be able to handle that voltage. Many High Voltage (HV) servos need 7.0-7.4 V to get the maximum potential (Torque/Speed) output.

The vast majority of accessories lights/winches are only designed to handle 6.0V (the voltage the BEC build into a BRXL outputs). So if you go with the castle set up you more than likely will fry your lights/winch.

I strongly recommend using the second diagram. You can make it crazy easy by making or buying one of these.

Receiver bypass adapter

If you have the plugs you can make one follow along with this.

WarTraders Poision Spider Customs Jeep

Post 97 shows you how to make one step by step. Post 110 shows you how to do the same set up with two BEC's using a common power supply.

Last edited by WarTrader; 04-04-2012 at 11:49 AM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #4245
RCC Addict

I think with the load you are using, the bed cable Chris recommended will work for your steering allowing you to use 2 10A BECs and then let your BR-XL power the rest. You could also try the C BEC 20A.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #4246
Scale Detail Engineering

Thanks WT.
I think I'll buy that Receiver bypass since I can't solder worth a damn... maybe I should get a new iron for my bday... damn hobby.

I'm a little worried about all the extra plugs because I had Heyok make me a No Brainer BEC and things didn't go so well... he told me to send it and the winch controller back and he'd fix them... I just haven't done it yet.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #4247
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
I think with the load you are using, the bed cable Chris recommended will work for your steering allowing you to use 2 10A BECs and then let your BR-XL power the rest. You could also try the C BEC 20A.

Wait, so I do need 2 10amp BECs?
Do I need 2 of those bypass plugs as well?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #4248

I'm running the CC diagram on all Three of my trucks with no problems but what the hell do i know.
BAD 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #4249
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wait, so I do need 2 10amp BECs?
Do I need 2 of those bypass plugs as well?

I run two BEC's one for the front one for the rear. Some people just use one BEC for both servos, but your asking a lot of that BEC. You can get a 20amp pro BEC from Castle but the thing is the literally the size of a small ESC. I think it is the mamba micro pro case but I'm not positive of that. For me fitting two of the 10Amp BEC's in my electronics box was a better option.

I KNEW FOR SURE I needed two my rear steering servo is a 7980. When the big SOB is working hard it pulls some serious juice.

Umm you don't need to solder jack you just need a little servo wire (I usually use scraps from old junk components), the servo connectors, and a good small pair of needle nose pliers. I just checked tower, for the price of the connectors you could buy the BED's cheaper. I buy the connectors 10 male, 10 female at a time. It usually runs about twenty but I make a lot of my own stuff like that so for me it pays..... Sadly I was going to order some but they are out of the females (typical whenever you really need a female there are none to be seen) LOL

Last edited by WarTrader; 04-04-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #4250
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD 1 View Post
I'm running the CC diagram on all Three of my trucks with no problems but what the hell do i know.
Winches will work for a while running 7v, ultimately it is like running 3s on a RTR brushed motor. It will do it but there is more juice than they can handle long term and as soon as enough heat and draw start POOF.

I burned 3 of those crappy 3racing winch controllers before I figured that out

I have the HV versions of Heyok's winch controllers in my servo winches but I use 645's for my winch and they are only rated 6v I'm pretty sure I'll smoke the motor. I really would like to find a 7980-7954 with a smoked circuit board and make a winch out of it. Think about it 7V+400oz+ torque=25lbs-35lbs of pulling power

Last edited by WarTrader; 04-04-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #4251
Rock Crawler

I was planning on running two BECs... one for each servo, then let the BEC in the BRXL power my receiver, lights and winch.

The BECPro is about the same size as a MMP, but quite exactly the same dimensions but yeah its a lot bigger than a standard BEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
I run two BEC's one for the front one for the rear. Some people just use one BEC for both servos, but your asking a lot of that BEC. You can get a 20amp pro BEC from Castle but the thing is the literally the size of a small ESC. I think it is the mamba micro pro case but I'm not positive of that. For me fitting two of the 10Amp BEC's in my electronics box was a better option.
Very true.. that or they just want to take your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTrader View Post
(typical whenever you really need a female there are none to be seen) LOL
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #4252
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thzero View Post
I was planning on running two BECs... one for each servo, then let the BEC in the BRXL power my receiver, lights and winch.

The BECPro is about the same size as a MMP, but quite exactly the same dimensions but yeah its a lot bigger than a standard BEC.

Very true.. that or they just want to take your money.
That is the set up I use two BECs and BRXL. I hate the fact that the BRXL has a better built in BEC than the MMP.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #4253
Rock Crawler

Johnny you can add a female servo plug to the wires from the servos. The two power wires will go into the femal plug and the signal wire will stay in the original male plug and still go to the receiver. Then just tap the BEC(s) into the battery power before the ESC, I made a little adapter, and plug them into the new female plug you installed on each servo. This way the servos get full voltage and their power is clean, straight from the battery. When you do it like this you don't have to cut power to the rx from the ESC either. It also makes everything easy to unplug and remove if you need to work on it.

I'd run a BEC to both servos and then let the rx power everything else.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #4254
Rock Crawler

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #4255
Rock Crawler

Please excuse my random gif postings. They seem to make the thread a little nicer place to come and hang out.

On another note...I need a used snow blower if anyone has a an old one that needs some love (and by that I mean work). I figured this would be the best time of the year for me to buy one cheap. I also need a dehumidifier for the basement of my new place. Anyone have either of these items sitting in a garage somewhere not being used?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #4256
RCC Addict

I would agree, 2 BECs if you are using high torque servos front and rear.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #4257
Scale Detail Engineering

I think I'm going to get 2 bec's and 2 of bypass adaptors... I only have enough in my paypal for 1 of each at the moment though.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #4258
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think I'm going to get 2 bec's and 2 of bypass adaptors... I only have enough in my paypal for 1 of each at the moment though.
Feed the paypal!! It likes lots of greenbacks!
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #4259
Scale Detail Engineering

yeah, I sold the Fatdog last night so I have a few bucks in there.
This morning I bought some spur gears and had to use paypal instead of Visa.
And, I'm waiting for a transfer to go through (I still need to pay for my new axle housings!)
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #4260
RCC Addict

At the shop.. Doin' some work on more 2.2 beadlocks leftover from the first batch.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby mama drama, ban the mouth!, disappearing ta, disappearing tag show, fattittybrits, kidsthesedays, ls1 everything, rc hippies, tittie artist, winter is lame