Notices

Thread: NIRC. Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #6441
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: NIRC. Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
after seeing ricks, i DONT want my rig to behave that way.
lame.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #6442

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
lame.
i know you are, but what am i?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #6443
Rock Crawler

are there any disadvantages to the center dif?

Edit: other than the wheelies.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #6444
RCC Addict

You know how they work, right? It'll transfer power to the left or right wheel depending on where the power is needed. A center diff will do the same thing except it will transfer power to the front or rear where its needed in addition to each wheel. Better for racing. Disadvantages? More control, more grip, less craziness, less fun.

I dont think a slash will do wheelies with the longer wheelbase like the stampede does.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #6445
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i know you are, but what am i?
cool?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #6446
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the center diff eliminates wheelies... after seeing DL's trampede (?, I want the slipper!

It'll corner better w/the diff
Pretty much. Without the center diff, its the same as the Savage or your Revo, in that 50% of power goes to the front and 50% of power goes to rear. Whereas the center diff, being a diff, will unload power to the end with the least resistance which does allow the car/truck/whatever to corner a bit better.

Depending on the power you are running through the Slash/Stampede/Whatever, if you like flipping over use the slipper, if not use the center diff (or run the slipper really loose!).
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #6447
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
You know how they work, right? It'll transfer power to the left or right wheel depending on where the power is needed. A center diff will do the same thing except it will transfer power to the front or rear where its needed in addition to each wheel. Better for racing. Disadvantages? More control, more grip, less craziness, less fun.

I dont think a slash will do wheelies with the longer wheelbase like the stampede does.
Pretty much yeah - if I ran 4S rather than 3S, mine might, sorta like my RC8Te with center diff on 6S *will* wheelie, but its a diminishing returns... as the power unloads to the front wheels that spin freely in the air, power decreases to the rear which means it quits wheelin!

I had a Savage Flux on 4S; I grew pretty bored with always flipping over on my lid.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #6448
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
are there any disadvantages to the center dif?

Edit: other than the wheelies.
Oh another advantage of a center diff is that it is a bit easier to modulate the car/truck/whatever in the air when jumping.

Disadvantage is that you have to maintain it as much as you do the front/rear and more so than say a slipper.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #6449
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Where the power is needed or where there's the least traction? My understanding of a differential is that it simply is used to allow one wheel to turn faster than the other in a corner to prevent binding and give your drive train some relief.

What I don't understand is why you'd want that in a center diff. I'm not trying to argue here, I'm trying to understand the mechanics. It sounds like if you have a center diff that if you had one wheel in the air, all of your power would be transferred to that one spinning wheel. Right?

There's obviously something I'm missing though because all racers do it. I just don't understand the theory behind it.
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #6450
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
Where the power is needed or where there's the least traction?

What I don't understand is why you'd want that in a center diff. I'm not trying to argue here, I'm trying to understand the mechanics. It sounds like if you have a center diff that if you had one wheel in the air, all of your power would be transferred to that one spinning wheel. Right?
right.
Like Zero said, it'll unload all the power to the wheel that's in the air/loose dirt. On the plus side, if all other wheels loose power, it'll bring that one in the air down to the ground.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #6451
Scale Detail Engineering

Check out Robotboys winch pulley!
Pretty slick.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #6452
Rock Crawler

Quote:
right.
Like Zero said, it'll unload all the power to the wheel that's in the air/loose dirt. On the plus side, if all other wheels loose power, it'll bring that one in the air down to the ground.
Yup.

R/C Car Handling - Buggy Setup Guide
R/C Car Handling - An Introduction To Vehicle Dynamics -> especially the one on Weight and Power Distribution
http://aedownloads.com/pdf/RC_HandbookV2.pdf
RC Tuning Guide | CompetitionX
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/BuggySetupGuide.pdf

Pretty much whatever applies to an 8th scale buggy applies to the 4WD SC trucks, 8th scale truggies, and 5th scale 4WD buggy/SC/trucks.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #6453
RCC Addict

Yeah but, even my stampede with loads of power I feel is completely controlable. Nowhere near savage wheelie territory. My truck will just lift the wheels, hit the rear bumper and come back down. I feel I can throttle it to not wheely pretty easily if I wanted. Its right on the verge of power & gear to want to come off the ground. It wont wheelie if I wanted it to in the dirt/gravel. Just on ultra-traction surfaces.

My opinion, in Treys case is go without it. Save some money. Unless your going to compete in races.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #6454
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Yeah but, even my stampede with loads of power I feel is completely controlable. Nowhere near savage wheelie territory. My truck will just lift the wheels, hit the rear bumper and come back down. I feel I can throttle it to not wheely pretty easily if I wanted. Its right on the verge of power & gear to want to come off the ground. It wont wheelie if I wanted it to in the dirt/gravel. Just on ultra-traction surfaces.

My opinion, in Treys case is go without it. Save some money. Unless your going to compete in races.
me too.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #6455
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah but, even my stampede with loads of power I feel is completely controlable. Nowhere near savage wheelie territory. My truck will just lift the wheels, hit the rear bumper and come back down. I feel I can throttle it to not wheely pretty easily if I wanted. Its right on the verge of power & gear to want to come off the ground. It wont wheelie if I wanted it to in the dirt/gravel. Just on ultra-traction surfaces
Then its not as insane as the Savage or heck even the RC8T.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #6456
RCC Addict

And Trey, if your going to be mostly bashing.. I'd say that the way your going to want to setup the center diff would be really stiff with 50k-100k oil.. Which would be well, pointless for bashing? Chris.. Do you have anything to add to this?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #6457
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Chris.. Do you have anything to add to this?
he's talkin smack bout your struggy man!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #6458
RCC Addict

I'm trying to help Trey with his penalty box situation.. You don't need the center diff! If you sell the revo and get out of the penalty box for a while then, I would say buy two of them and just throw one away.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #6459
RCC Addict

Quote:
he's talkin smack bout your struggy man!
WTF! Your going down! Trampede VS. RC8Te on a 1/10 track this sunday for pink slips!!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #6460
Rock Crawler

Quote:
WTF! Your going down! Trampede VS. RC8Te on a 1/10 track this sunday for pink slips!!
Hahaha...

All I put in my Slash 4WD, which came with a center diff, was 10k. 7k in front, 3k in rear. Same as in my RC8T...

Tags
baby mama drama, ban the mouth!, disappearing ta, disappearing tag show, fattittybrits, kidsthesedays, ls1 everything, rc hippies, tittie artist, winter is lame