Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: NIRC. Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #7921
Pebble Pounder

My cj was my favorite jeep I owned. But they are the premium when it comes to older jeeps. Cj7 in good condition can be stupid expensive. Stay away from the 360 in them. It is too much and makes it hard to drive. Try to find one thy has original equip, even if it's a little worse for the ware. Too much redneck engineering can ruin one. Pay particular attention to frame cancer near the rear spring shackles. It's a weak area that was never addressed. Let me know if you have any specifics or if you want me to look at one
gottwins? is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #7922

Default Re: NIRC. Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
hey Neil and Chuck, what do you guy's think about the CJ's?
I read that 72-76 (I think) had both Dana axles and transfer case... and a lot of them have the old AMC 304 V8. I've found several that have AMC 360's in them! I miss V8's and I'm not too concerned with mpg. About the farthest I'd take it would be to The Cliffs.

I really want a FJ but don't think I'll be able to afford a good one.
whats your budget?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #7923
Pebble Pounder

I need to preface that with my favorite offroading jeep
Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #7924

if i was looking for a jeep, i'd save more and get a tj.

you get 4 link f&r, modern electronics and ecu, fuel injection... all sorts of good stuff.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #7925
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
if i was looking for a jeep, i'd save more and get a tj.

you get 4 link f&r, modern electronics and ecu, fuel injection... all sorts of good stuff.
I'd second that if you are looking for a dual purpose rig
Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #7926
Scale Detail Engineering

I know... and honestly, a TJ can be had for less than a CJ or an old FJ!
My current budget is $0.00.
I'm thinking $5000 next spring.

I want something fun, fairly reliable that I can work on myself.
It'll be a weekend toy and perhaps blizzard going to the store sort of thing.

It will need to be able to pull a trailer w/dirt bike to the Cliff's once in a while.
If it's very reliable (TJ), maybe pull a trailer a few hours to Ohio but that would be a bonus.
Fit a wagon and drive to our comps.
Maybe some mild Cliffs offroading.

I know I should get a TJ, I just have a thing for old beat up cars and trucks... er, Classics.

EDIT: I've been trying to buy a cheap, pre 1989 4Runner for years. I've got as far as haggling a few times.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 08-29-2012 at 01:16 PM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #7927
Scale Detail Engineering

I love reading this stuff:

Trim levels

North American TJ/Wranglers were available in the following standard trims.
  • SE: 1997-2006 came standard with the 2.5 L from 1997-2002, and the 2.4 L from 2003-2006. The 4.0 L optional for 2005-2006.
  • X: 2002-2006 came standard with 4.0 L but with no Dana 44 rear axle option.
  • Sport: 1997-2006 came standard with 4.0 L. The Dana 44 rear axle, 3.73 axle ratio, and 30" wheel and tire group are optional.
  • Sahara: 1997-2004 came standard with 4.0 L, wider body colored fender flares, body colored rocker sills, 30" wheel and tire group and full steel doors. The Sahara also feature exclusive decals, seats and trim. For 2000-2004 they had 16" rims instead of the standard 15". Once again the Dana 44 rear axle, and 3.73 axle ratio was optional.
  • 60th Anniversary Edition: 2001 came standard with the all the features of a Sahara except for the seats decals and trim. It also came with the fog lamp and tow hook group, CD player with 5 speaker sound system, air conditioning and unique 60th Anniversary Edition decals and floor mats. The only two options were speed control and dual tops. Only two colors were available black or silverstone metallic. Only 4,067 were produced.[9]

• 65th Anniversary Edition: 2006 came standard with all the options of a Sahara but without the rocker sills, seats, decals and trim. It also came with fog lamps, CD player with 7 speaker sound system and Sirius Satellite Radio , SunRider soft top, 30" wheels with 15" Alcoa aluminum rims, high pressure gas charged shocks, Dana 44 rear axle and exclusive 65th Anniversary Edition seats, trim, floor mats and decals.The available colors were light khaki, dark khaki, bright silver, black and Jeep Green.[10] Only about 1600 were made.[11]

• Apex Edition: 2002-2003 came standard with the 4.0 L, CD player with 7 speaker sound system, and exclusive hood decal and seats. It only came in three colors silver, blue, or black.
  • Columbia Edition: 2004 came standard with the 4.0 L, fog lamps, and graphite fender flares, 15-inch graphite painted aluminum wheels, two-tone seats with Columbia logo, unique trim and Columbia decals. It only came in four colors black, bright silver, flame red, solar yellow or partiot blue. Each of the unique jeeps came with a Columbia Bugaboo parka.[12]

• Freedom Edition: 2003 came standard with the 4.0 L, full metal doors, fog lamp and tow hook group, body colored fender flares, exclusive decals, chrome rims air conditioning, anti-theft system, and fold and tumble rear seat. It only came in four colors red, silver, blue or black with either vinyl or cloth slate gray seats.[13]

• Golden Eagle: 2006 came standard with the 4.0 L, 30" Wheel and tire group, Dana 44 rear axle, exclusive hood,interior trim, seats, fender and spare tire decals.
  • Rocky Mountain Edition: 2003-2005 came standard with the 4.0 L, Dana 44 rear axle, 30" Wheel and tire group, fog lamp and tow hook group, exclusive decals, fender flares, seats and interior trim and Diamond plate rocker guards. It only came in five colors black, silver, red, yellow and blue.
  • Sahara Edition Unlimited Rubicon: 2005, Paramount released the movie Sahara which featured a Jeep Wrangler. As a way to build off the success of the movie, Jeep released a limited production “Sahara Edition” Unlimited Rubicon.[14] Only 1000 were produced and each one is numbered. All of them are visually identical, but some were offered in a manual and others an automatic. They are all Light Khaki Unlimiteds. Trim differences over the standard Rubicon include chrome grill, color matched flares, khaki hard top or soft top, as well as optional dual khaki tops, Graphite Moab wheels, a Sahara spare tire cover, upgraded two-tone premium seats, Sahara decals, taillight guards, and a numbered dash badge.
  • Rubicon Tomb Raider Edition: 2003 was a limited run of 1,001 (perhaps as many as 1,050) Wrangler Rubicon "Tomb Raider" models produced promote the Tomb Raider sequel, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life. Along with the standard Rubicon fare, it also included exterior features such as 16-inch Alcoa forged aluminum wheels, Tomb Raider badging, and Mopar accessories including a light bar, riveted fender flares, tubular grille guard, diamond-plated bumper guard, etc. Interior features included Dark Slate fabric seats with red accent stitching down the center, silver surround instrument panel bezel, red seat belts, and a Tomb Raider badge with serial number. To match the vehicle in the film, it was offered in Bright Silver.[15] Due to its classic styling, combined with numerous unique accessories, the 2003 "Tomb Raider" Limited Edition Wrangler Rubicon has become one of the most highly collectible jeeps of all-time.
  • Willys Edition: 2004-2005 came standard with the 4.0 L, fog lamp and tow hook group, exclusive "WILLYS" decals, CD player with 7 speaker sound system, body-color fender flares, green diamond plate rocker guards, camouflage seats, dark green soft top and full-size spare tire with matching wheel. It was only available in moss green.[16] Only about 1000 were produced in 2004.[17]
  • Rubicon: The Wrangler Rubicon (named for the famed Rubicon Trail in the Sierra Nevada Mountains) was introduced in 2003. It featured front and rear Dana 44 axles with the Rock-Trac four-wheel drive system, diamond plate rocker panels, 16-inch alloy wheels, and Goodyear MTR P245/75-R16 tires. 2003 to 2004 featured a standard NV3550 five-speed manual transmission, which changed in 2005 to the NSG370, a Mercedes-sourced six-speed. The optional 42RLE four-speed automatic transmission was available from 2003 to 2006
Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #7928
Pebble Pounder

Be careful towing with a TJ. That short wheel base can make for some serious clenching moments.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #7929
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I love reading this stuff:
97-99 TJ so you get the 4.0L and Dana 44s.
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #7930
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottwins? View Post
My cj was my favorite jeep I owned. But they are the premium when it comes to older jeeps. Cj7 in good condition can be stupid expensive. Stay away from the 360 in them. It is too much and makes it hard to drive. Try to find one thy has original equip, even if it's a little worse for the ware. Too much redneck engineering can ruin one. Pay particular attention to frame cancer near the rear spring shackles. It's a weak area that was never addressed. Let me know if you have any specifics or if you want me to look at one

I've owned 3 Jeeps, two CJ7's with a 360 and a postal rear end (took two sets of splines to learn that lesson), and now I have a TJ rubicon. The TJ is by far way more comfy! If I didn't live in flat land and hundreds of miles from good wheeling I wouldn't own a RC my Rubi would be on 35's with a 5.9L Hemi by now LOL.

The one with a 360 was fun to drive if you know when to use the extra power, (I had a bud that had a glass body CJ5 with a 427Cobra Jet, now that was TOO much power. Mind you though I used to wheel this thing back in OH, PA and the moountains in WV. The 6banger just didn't have the ummph to pull Mud and Hills!!

I would say the TJ is Sweet but the problem is All the parts are UBER $$$. The soccer Mommy friendl JK parts are cheaper in some cases. Especially when your looking at Long Arm Suspension kits. Then the prices are worth it 3K+ for a good kit, a CV eliminator for the Transfer case (anything over 3in) brake lines, Gears/diffs while your at it, then again if your gonna run 35's you should go with a 60 rear end... You can easily get $4500 just in parts. W/O wheels and tires.

Not that I've put any thought into it LOL...

Or you could do my dream and get a TJ polised up my PSC... Something like this..

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/im...9QGekO3i8_FOyA
http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/93540...k_crawling.jpg

It's stuff like this that eats a 6 popper!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziMhtXsrIZo

Last edited by WarTrader; 08-29-2012 at 03:22 PM.
WarTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #7931

and no love for the sammies...

more for me i guess.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #7932
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
and no love for the sammies...

more for me i guess.
When we first met I said I was looking for a Samurai and you said don't get one! hahaha, the lil' Zuk is part of my daily search but that would be a PITA to drive to the Cliffs or tow...
Speaking of towing, I had thought of getting a CIII hitch:
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #7933
Rock Crawler

Quote:
When we first met I said I was looking for a Samurai and you said don't get one! hahaha, the lil' Zuk is part of my daily search but that would be a PITA to drive to the Cliffs or tow...
Speaking of towing, I had thought of getting a CIII hitch:
Nah you need a Kawasaki. Go Green or go home!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #7934
Scale Detail Engineering

NOT the bike Clown Puncher!
Mine will be RED.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #7935
Rock Crawler

Quote:
NOT the bike Clown Puncher!
Mine will be RED.
RED? What are you a little girl?!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #7936

yeah the trip to the cliffs is kinda hellish in a zuk. mostly coming back home. it was especially horrible in my old zuk with 5.13's and the stock 1.3. it would also trammel real bad and follow grooves in the road, there were times i totally felt unsafe and a danger to other people...

the yellow zuk drives pretty good on the interstate for what it is. i just like towing it so i dont have to worry about wear and tear as much or break down from a trail related injury.

sidekicks and trackers can be made really cool too. get that cheap cheap rusted out landcruiser for the axles, and get a clean 4door sidekick, and trailtough sas kit for prolly less than a tj.

http://www.trailtough.com

that 4door on their website header panel is killer.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #7937
Scale Detail Engineering

The Side Kicks are cool, especially the 4 doors but I didn't think you could mod them as far as the Sami. A few years ago I did run across a website that had a bunch of bolt on stuff, even a lift kit.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #7938

you can has modified tracker.
i think i may be wanting one.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #7939
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thzero View Post
Nah you need a Kawasaki. Go Green or go home!
Eww no!

Red, blue, black/orange, green....in order best to worst (left to right)
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #7940

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/316333...uzuki-sidekick

pretty neat. good documentation of mods at bottom.

Tags
baby mama drama, ban the mouth!, disappearing ta, disappearing tag show, fattittybrits, kidsthesedays, ls1 everything, rc hippies, tittie artist, winter is lame